cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

which GPS????

mabryoso1
Explorer
Explorer
Need some imput on which gps is the best for people with rec.vehicles. ones that pretty simple to set up and use, have a garmin now but for the car. Thanks

MABRY
17 REPLIES 17

chaffeekid
Explorer
Explorer
I used to use a Garmin 7200 but got tired of trying to update maps, so gave it to a buddy and bought the RV760LMT really nice unit.

MGySgt USMC(R) 61-91:)
N0LZS
Wife, has put up with me for 57 years :B
Amber, a Cockapoo, and Bambi a Hyper Chihuahua
2004 Winnebago Brave 34D, 8.1L 496cubes, Allison transmission, two Slides.

slapshot12
Explorer
Explorer
Fire Instructor wrote:
Just bought a Garmin RV760LMT, but have only used it around town to get used to it. Seems to get consistently better ratings than the Rand McNally, and I like it so far, but haven't used it enough in "real world" RV use to give it a two-thumbs up (or down) yet....

I've used that one for about a year and have been very happy with it so far. It's easy to use, easy to see, and has lane guidance.
'18 Momentum 349M
'17 F-350 SRW Lariat CCSB 6.7 FX4

DaveG39
Explorer
Explorer
I have Garmin RV760LMT. 9,000 mile trip last summer, 4,000+ mile this summer. works fine. Had issue in NY state where gave me strange routing. Set intermediary points. Still routing strangely. Used Google Earth and found out low RR bridge it would route me around. Did its job. Another routed me around a bridge with low weight restrictions under RV weight. Another around a low clearance tunnel. Gives MPH posed for road and MPH traveling. Can set Miles and KM for travels into Canada.
2007 TropiCal LX towing 2012 Honda
CRV, Goleta, CA

Bethany_Carolin
Explorer
Explorer
love our Garman. Just keep up with the updates.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
We use Co-Pilot RV app on a tablet. Also running is Waze. DW always has a paper map open and she likes her Tom-Tom.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Finally_Time
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Rand McNally 7730 with a 7 inch screen. The length, height, and weight for the RV or RV plus tow or towed vehicle can be set. The GPS will then route you away from low tunnels and bridges. It can be set to avoid small roads and dirt roads. There are lots of other settings for warnings about going over the speed limit, approaching sharp curves, construction zones, etc. I travel by myself; the cat is no good about reading maps and gets bored with the smart phone or tablet, so I appreciate the step by step directions and the visual showing which lane to get in for exits and interchanges. Also the motor home speedometer is hard to see it some lighting so I find myself using the GPS speed indicator โ€“ much easier to see. I am very happy with this GPS and now that I am used to it, I find it easier to use than the Garmin in my car. There is a learning curve though, it takes a while.
'17 Tiffin Breeze 31BR, '13 Honda CR-V
Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar & Brake System

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
My motorhome is almost 12 years old now and the stereo in it had a cassette deck! So I was wandering around Best Buy and found a JVC stereo system there with Apple Car Play. The stereo comes with a good size touch screen. What Apple Car Play does is allow you to control your iPhone from the touch screen.

So I bought on of these and had it installed in the RV. So now I get my iPhone GPS right on a built in, in-dash screen that is very easy to reach from the drivers seat and I don't have to use suction cups to mount it to anything. Just plug in the iPhone and I have the GPS on the screen as well as a bunch of other iPhone stuff like iHeart radio and you can see incoming calls and text messages and a bunch of other stuff. I haven't got to use it a lot yet, but from the little playing I did with it, it seemed to work just great.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
BigSkyBob wrote:
Garmin RV760LMT...
This device gets two thumbs down from me after using it for 2 years. It has directed me down dirt roads to farm houses and offered very little assistance regarding the correct turns at junctions.
x2

I still have an older 660.. I may just start using it again. The 760 directs me to the strangest routes rather than making a simple left turn. And this constant message about "RV accessibility unknown" or something like that. I have yet to see RV accessibility Ok.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

BigSkyBob
Explorer
Explorer
Fire Instructor wrote:
Just bought a Garmin RV760LMT, but have only used it around town to get used to it. Seems to get consistently better ratings than the Rand McNally, and I like it so far, but haven't used it enough in "real world" RV use to give it a two-thumbs up (or down) yet....

This device gets two thumbs down from me after using it for 2 years. It has directed me down dirt roads to farm houses and offered very little assistance regarding the correct turns at junctions. It seems pretty accurate in metro areas but fails miserably on rural secondary roads. Wish I had my Garmin 7200 street pilot back. I recently ungraded the maps and was informed the internal memory wasn't sufficient to hold the new maps so I had to purchase a 16 GB micro SD card. Not impressed.
2008 Monaco Camelot 40PDQ, 4 slides, 2016 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi Quadcab 4x4. Blue Ox, Garmin 760 LRM GPS, Doran Pressure pro on all 10, M&G Brake, 50 amp SurgeGuard, FMCA, Coachnet.

icanon
Explorer
Explorer
Garmin RV760LMT Is what I use and like a lot.
Loving wife and 2 beautiful daughters.
Chocolate Lab, Lily
2014 Dodge Ram Laramie Hemi 5.7 with 3.92
2014 Dutchmen Kodiak 290BHSL
ProPride 3P Hitch
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C
Love my Weber Q1200
Me a Happy man on retirement!!!

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
dons2346 wrote:
Tom/Barb wrote:
mabryoso1 wrote:
Need some imput on which gps is the best for people with rec.vehicles. ones that pretty simple to set up and use, have a garmin now but for the car. Thanks

MABRY

We don't need no stinking GPS ๐Ÿ™‚ we use our iPad and a app called "maps", with a stratus antenna. It has zoom in, and out, we can see which lanes we should be in for the next turn all that stuff.

MAPS

Blue tooth Dual XGPS150)a

And what if you don't have one of those stinkin iToy phones?

Then you use your stinking lap-top or what ever.
iPad isn't a phone, by the way.
It's the app, and it will work on any device. the lap-top works great opened and lying on the dash. makes it easy and doesn't cost anywhere near what the new GPSs do.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
mabryoso1 wrote:

MABRY

We don't need no stinking GPS ๐Ÿ™‚ we use our iPad and a app called "maps", with a stratus antenna. It has zoom in, and out, we can see which lanes we should be in for the next turn all that stuff.

MAPS

Blue tooth Dual XGPS150)a

And what if you don't have one of those stinkin iToy phones?

Fire_Instructor
Explorer
Explorer
Fire Instructor

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you got some imput.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman