cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Which old motorhome to buy

RAMwoodworks
Explorer
Explorer
The Mrs and I are considering building a skoolie vs getting and older RV and fixing up what needs to be fixed.

If we go the motorhome route we would want one preferably with Cummins and an Allison. Definitely don't want any new computerized ****.

Then there is the walls and floor. I know that Travel Trailers are just styrofoam covered with Luan. We want to avoid that as well.

The question is, were there any motorhomes built with real framing, either metal or wood, with a drivetrain that was built to last?

Yes, we want an EM50 UAV.
2017 Coachmen Viking 21RD, 2015 Yukon XL 5.3
If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy, Red Green
31 REPLIES 31

howdy35
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are full timing in a 1999 National Tradewinds which requires a tweak now and then but is very solid and comfortable for us. Check out PPL in Texas.
They sometimes have an older model coach that might fit what you are looking for.
1999 National Tradewinds 7370
2014 Honda CR-V--Toad
Fulltime

Argosy24
Explorer
Explorer
What are your expectations and budget? A converted school bus will get you there, but it's going to be a bare bones chassis that will ride and handle like that, it will be noisy because the motor is at your feet. They're built with simplicity and safety in mind, a cheap way to get a bus load of kids to school.

I've got a 93 Beaver, it has a welded aluminum frame for the house and a Gillig chassis. Country Coach, American Eagle, Monaco, Holiday Rambler (and others) also built similar motor homes. The quality is amazing, even being nearly 30 years old the ride is smooth, it steers and handles well with no after market band aids. 3/4" face frame walnut cabinets that are screwed together, I've disassembled several and not found a single staple, every door and drawer works like new. The roof is one piece of molded fiberglass, low maintenance and not a lot of chance of leak if you keep up with the sealer on the vents, antenna, skylight and drip rails.

More than anything it depends on how you expect to use the RV. Short local trips the school bus would work. Otherwise I'd look for an older high end motor home.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
RAM,

You think you might like a real EM50 UAV??

I hope you know that the newest of these is 45yo now (78my). Of nearly 13,000 built, there are over 8000 still in use.

Start by opening GMCMI and try to figure out if this is really something you want to do.

Well, before you go too far along, look at the community that supports these beauties. There are always a few available, but most become available at estate sales, and some at "pre-estate" sales.

There is no structural wood, but if poorly attended, the plywood food may need patching.

The drivetrains are old, While parts are very available, shops that will take them on are not that available. The maintenance required is not difficult or expensive, but it right in line with what one could have expected 50 years ago.

You have to go in with your eyes wide open and having the community for help doesn't hurt either.

What does this guy know? He knows he has had one for 17 years and about 80K (180K total) and we still love it. It is the little size, but that works for the two of us and at one time two dogs.

The Community is what really makes these what they are. If you are still interested, use to link above to find a rally in striking distance and go there for the Sunday Open House.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Definitely don't want any new computerized ****.

The diesel engines received computers about 2000. Computers took a lot of the rattle out of diesels. Do you want to hear all that noise of an older coach?

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
There's a couple on youtube who did a schoolie conversion and they full time. The husband happened to be a diesel mechanic for a school district. He commented that if you get one, avoid any that have either a Mercedes or a Maxforce diesel.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
I might have missed it, but was anyone discussing buying a 1958 coach? I used to own a 1988 Prevost and now own a 1998 Prevost. Would I buy a 1958 Prevost (if they even existed)? Nope! However, older bus conversion and Bluebirds are likely some of the best RV's ever made.

jeromep
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
There was a time when I thought an old bus would be just the thing for traveling. Then I realized that a tire for a bus might cost $500 if you can find one. Then I realized not every auto parts store has parts for a 1958 Bluebird.

Old motor homes lose value quickly. I would find a late model unit like 2000 or newer if possible.

Good point. Anyone familiar with the RVMiles Podcast? The family that started that became full time RVers in a converted schoolie, and not a terribly old one. They got rid of the schoolie, that they built themselves, BTW, and have moved into a trailer and used medium-duty pickup, and now onto a fifth wheel and heavy duty pickup. The point here is that the schoolie was becoming a maintenance nightmare for them. There is a big difference, too, between most old buses that are built into a Class A and the chassis for a vehicle that started its life as a Class A. They sold off the schoolie to RVers that were not going to put on as many miles as these folks were doing. The bus, while fairly late model, had a lot of miles on it when they got it, and it just gets worse from there.

I've always found it odd that the vanlife and schoolie folks seem to ignore that they are taking a used chassis, one which may have been maintained well, but still has the underlying miles on it, and they are then adding a lot of weight, much more weight than they are probably removing as they gut the rig, and then using the rig as a "daily driver" and planning on crossing long distances on a regular basis. This is not a recipe for success.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
There was a time when I thought an old bus would be just the thing for traveling. Then I realized that a tire for a bus might cost $500 if you can find one. Then I realized not every auto parts store has parts for a 1958 Bluebird.

Old motor homes lose value quickly. I would find a late model unit like 2000 or newer if possible.

howdy35
Explorer II
Explorer II
Consider looking on the PPL website.
1999 National Tradewinds 7370
2014 Honda CR-V--Toad
Fulltime

chaffeekid
Explorer
Explorer
Here is one matching your requirements, it will need new tires, and old TV's replaced, but it has the cummins and allison trans, and a Filon roof if I am not mistaken. Nice inside. You could get it for around 24K or less with a little talking. I was considering it unitil I stumbled upon my current Winnebago for 16.5K
I would not even consider trying to convert a school bus, f53 chassis probably and rides like a dump truck.
https://www.youngbloodrv.com/inv/1998-Tiffin-Allegro-Bus-37-Mayfield-KY-16031/

MGySgt USMC(R) 61-91:)
N0LZS
Wife, has put up with me for 57 years :B
Amber, a Cockapoo, and Bambi a Hyper Chihuahua
2004 Winnebago Brave 34D, 8.1L 496cubes, Allison transmission, two Slides.

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
I for one never buy any with a rubber roof ....
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

H___E
Explorer
Explorer
Three years ago we bought a 2001 Newmar 4095 DSDP. We are quite pleased with it. I knew that I would have to spend some monies on it to get it in satisfactory shape for long trips. After 16K miles of travel we are ready to let it go. If I had it to do over I would take the same route.

Older well built coaches seem to be a better value than many newer ones, if you don't need all the new gadgets.

Branson_N_Tucso
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mine
Hope you find a good one.
Enjoy your travels.

jeromep
Explorer
Explorer
TechWriter wrote:
We ended up buying this 2001 31' National RV Sea View after a several month search.

National built a lot of very nice RVs. We used to have a National dealer locally until around the time of the financial bust of 2007-08. I think they went bankrupt in 2007. Too bad as their older stuff has really stood the test of time. That looks like a really nice rig.