cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who has replaced MH carpet with tile?

subtroll
Explorer
Explorer
After 14 years it's time to replace our MH carpet. Our floor is both tile and carpet. Floating laminate floor, not glued down makes me nervous. Are there any major issues about just removing the carpet and replacing it with a complimentary tile? Wood grain if I can find one. Do we need anything over the wood floor? Special tile cement?
2004 National Tropi-cal Sterling 396
2003 Jeep Liberty
16 REPLIES 16

erniee
Explorer
Explorer
probably 3/8 inch in thickness.
there are T moldings in vinyl you can use for transitions
or get rid of the tile and put in engineered wood
Ernie Ekberg, Prevost Liberty XL Classic

subtroll
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for lots of input. I'm not concerned about cold floors, we are normally in warm climates. I like both engineered wood or tile but want to get the correct thickness to match the existing tile in the galley and entrance areas that will remain.
2004 National Tropi-cal Sterling 396
2003 Jeep Liberty

diplomatdon
Explorer
Explorer
I would suggest looking at cork to replace carpet or laminate. Lock and click like laminate, quiet, warm, easy to clean just sweep and or can be swiffered. I replaced all the carpet in our 2001 Monaco Diplomat and we both love it.
Don

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
mike brez wrote:
Hate the hollow sound and feel of floating floors.

I put rosin paper down under the vinyl. It deadens the sound.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Hate the hollow sound and feel of floating floors. They look good in pictures though.
I'm old school and we never wear shoes in Moho. For me carpet in living room and bedroom. We have some kind of granite tile in kitchen and bath.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you really want tile and you are concerned about a cold floor, they do make electric heating mats that are designed to be installed under the tile. If you have a 50 amp coach, this should not be a problem as far as electrical usage when you are hooked to shore power.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
I've never had any issues with our tile. It gets cold yes, but you can heat it if you want for install.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
The problems I've seen with tile floor are all related to vibration; cranking tile, cracking grout etc. Some of the bridge expansion joints I've hit would jar loose filings in my teeth.

Tile is cold on the feet and should be heated for comfort. Take that into account when pricing the job.

Floating vinyl here. one year, no issues.

Real nice looking replacement floor!

I'm also in serious need right now for floor replacement.

Thank you for the advice.
I'll be going with the same type flooring you used. :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

erniee
Explorer
Explorer
engineered wood, adhered with urethane adhesive, tongue and groove construction, dimensionally stable
Ernie Ekberg, Prevost Liberty XL Classic

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
My best advice is to replace your carpet with carpet. It's warm and yummy and while you have to vacuum everyday it's still a great feel under your feet. Look at all the tile and vinyl folks. They have to throw down area rugs everywhere to keep the floors from being destroyed and to keep those little pittys from getting frost bite!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
The problem with screwing or nailing vinyl planking is that most manufacturers expect this flooring to be installed in temperature controlled environment with a 10° temp range. When you put it down in a motor home and subject it to a 60 - 100° temp swing, things tend to expand and contract beyond design limits.

When I put down the Allure, I got the grip strip version that has adhesive strips on all 4 sides. I didn't screw anything through the vinyl into the subfloor. I cut around all penetrations (pax seat, TV cabinet, couch legs) and didn't nail the trim to the floor.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have put both wood and ceramic tile in the Old Girl. If going with Tile, be sure that your base is good. I had some issues with my sub floor from water damage. After making the repairs on this with some new cross members, new plywood and adding "wonder board", my tile floors have been sound and crack free for roughly 10 years. The floating wood floor I have in the front portion of the MH was once again laid on fresh plywood....but it's not really floating, I secured it to the sub floor with screws in area's where the screws do not show(under couch, in corners ect) plus it's inter-locking planks. Good Luck on your project.
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
I think tile is a terrible idea for a motorhome. Yes it is cold, heavy, and has no forgiveness for flexing. I had the tile look (vinyl tiles) in my Safari and it was glued down and performed flawlessly for the 12 yrs I had it. The product also weighs a fraction of what actual tile weighs.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Common subject on this forum - forum search feature will have plenty of threads.

I replaced carpet with allure floating planks - easy install and have been happy with the results (4+ years?). Carpet is held down with a zillion staples - removing the staples isn't hard but it is time consuming (buy knee pads). I did a quick sand of the wood and painted it before I put the allure down - probably not necessary but I figured why not spend another 1/2 hr while the floor was exposed.
Kevin