cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windshield breakage in 2005 Class A due to chasis?

scoutert38
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings!

I have a 2005 Newmar Kountry Star 37' class A with two slides on a Workhorse Chasis, Chevy 8.1 gas engine.
Recently my windshield broke, started with cracks in the upper left hand corner on the drivers side. It grew worse and I called to have it replaced.
TWO days after replacement, it shattered again, in the same location and WORSE than the first time. The installer told me that the glass he replaced was NOT the original windshield (two-piece on Newmar).
When I called the insurance, they called the installer, and the resulting diagnosis was "this is the third time that the windshield broke; twice with me and another time prior. CONCLUSION: They would NOT replace the windshield again until the "chasis was examined for possible damage causing the windshield to break on the same side each time."
I am required to take it to a truck-frame inspection center to "test" the frame to find out where it is "tweaked" and have it repaired THEN they will replace the windshield free of charge---again!

Any input? Advice? Ideas?????

Dave
10 REPLIES 10

scoutert38
Explorer
Explorer
The last time the windshield shattered/cracked I was backing into a driveway at a friends country home. I have backed into that location several times without any issues. I had barely aligned the wheels to back into the spot when I heard a "shotgun blast type of sound" and realized it was the driver side windhield.

I have had issues with the leveling jacks, they go down together
when you hit the store button, but to extend them, they go down individually.

NOW only one jack goes down on driver side front!!!! The others will not retract OR extend!! So have to start a new thread on releasing them so I can take the rig in to have them repaired!!! NEVER ENDS!! LOL!!!

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Did it crack just riding down the road hitting a pot hole etc. or did it crack when you tried to level it?

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
Distortion in the front cap windshield mounting flanges can be an issue. Read recently of a similar case caused by a raised spot in the windshield flange.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
It could possibly be a bad body mount to the frame up front, causing the body to rack a little on bumps
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollin’ on 33’s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are really only three reasons why a windshield will crack. The first is if something harder than the windshield hits it, the second is if it was installed incorrectly and the third is too much chassis flex. That said, since the insurance company is playing the blame game, it's time to negotiate with them relative to their request. Who would you like me to take the coach to, and how will we pay for it? I hope you have a small deductible. A word of caution; If you take it to a shop of YOUR choosing, the insurance company may simply say they don't accept those results and renege on their offer to replace the windshield. Be careful and document everything completely. Expect your insurance company to cancel you at the next renewal....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
A 400 CI V8 in a Monza? Besides cracking the windshield on demand I'm surprised the doors would open or stay closed.

Back to the OP. I would reach back to the insurance, presuming they are demanding an examination, for recommendations regarding who they want to check the chassis and negotiate with them regarding the cost for the same.

What is happening is unusual. Lots of Kountry Star's still on the road that are not eating windshields. Who knows what's going on and cracking windshields could be a symptom of something deeper and more serious that needs attention.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
Not an RV, but years ago I had a car that I could crack the windshield on demand. It was a 1980 Chevy Monza that we installed a 400 CI V8 and 4 speed manual trans in. Later, we added sticky Drag Radials on the rear axle,and the first time I dumped the clutch, windshield cracked on top of passenger side. We replaced the windshield when it was due for inspection, and then a few weeks later we went back to the drag strip and it cracked on the first run in the same place. Too much chassis flex.
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollin’ on 33’s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

Bruce_Brown
Agreed.

Its not unusual for this kind of thing to be caused by a leveling error. Any chance you have automatic jacks that are out of sync? Repeated out of sync leveling could tweak a frame. There's only so much twisting they can take.

The other issue may be the original opening is too tight and needs to be opened up a little.

In any case, if the insurance company wants it checked probably need to get it checked.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Something is causing the glass to break the way it is...I’d do what they suggest. The insurance must know of a place to recommend.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
to be blunt i’d do as suggested despite it being a huge PITA. can insurance or the glass guy suggest where to take it?
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle