cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Windshield Electric Shade Motor

Sooner_Schooner
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone here had the motor replaced in their electric windshield shade? If so, who do you recommend. We are currently in Florida for about another month and will be heading west soon. I thought about stopping at MCD in the Dallas area, but $850 for new shades sounds excessive. Thanks for any assistance.
2008 Damon Tuscany 4076 40' Diesel Pusher
18 REPLIES 18

bitubo
Explorer
Explorer
If MCD, there is a cheap controller/programmer you can get to reset your shades.
'13 Voltage 3795
'10 F450 King Ranch
'00 CBR600F4
'01 R1100S

doc_brown
Explorer
Explorer
MCD has an obvious logo on the shade. Call MCD and ask for identifying features to see if you have thereโ€™s,
Steve,Kathy and Josh
Morpheus(Basenji)at Rainbow Bridge
2004 40' TSDP Country Coach Inspire DaVinci
350 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, Air Force One Braking, Blue Ox

Sooner_Schooner
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the advice and information, it would be helpful if I knew what brand of shades we have. Both MCD and Auto-Motion have said that their shades were available to Damon back in 2008 but Thor does not have the brand on file that went into our coach back then, and I can't find any identifying marks on our shades. We'll keep trying what you suggest. Thanks again.

Sooner_Schooner
Explorer
Explorer
Dashonthedash wrote:
Whatever you do, don't try to pull the shade down manually, that will break it, and you will have to replace the motor. That happened to me, before I realized that it was a programming problem. I also had to have the learning button pulled out from the molding along the side, since it was inaccessible without removing the molding (how's that for design). These shades do need reprogramming from time to time, and low voltage wipes out the programming altogether.

Thank you so much, we will try this.

Sooner_Schooner
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
Sooner Schooner wrote:
rk911 wrote:
what's wrong? not working at all or are the shades dropping a bit from the bumps as you roll down the road?

Won't go up. We just roll them up manually and strap it down when we travel.

but they'll go down?

yes, they will go down

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
Whatever you do, don't try to pull the shade down manually, that will break it, and you will have to replace the motor. That happened to me, before I realized that it was a programming problem. I also had to have the learning button pulled out from the molding along the side, since it was inaccessible without removing the molding (how's that for design). These shades do need reprogramming from time to time, and low voltage wipes out the programming altogether.
Gary Shapiro
Shadow - 7-year-old Greyhound (aka Shadow Ninja)
Hannah - 4-year-old GSD rescue (aka the Canine Tornado)
Max, Dash (GSDs), Willow, Dot, Allan, Lily (Greyhounds), and Molly(GSD Mix), at the Bridge and in my heart forever
2011 G'town 280DS Class A

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
want-a-be wrote:
JoeH wrote:
try reprogramming it before anything else.

How do you go about reprogramming them??

Here's a "simplified" explanation on reprogramming I got from MCD. I carry a copy with me in the coach as I've had to use it a few times

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

MCD Windshield Shade Upper and Lower Limit Adjustment Simplified
NOTE: Please Read the Directions in its Entirety Before Performing the Adjustments

1) Locate the learning button for the shade you want to set the limits for. The button will be on the motor side of the shade where the power wires go into the unit. The button is attached to a small gray wire. Turn your ignition key switch on. You will now set the upper limit and middle limit of the shade, above your eye level.

Note: You may need two people to perform this adjustment depending on where the buttons and switches are located.

2) Push the learning button ON and, at the same time, push the shade dash mounted rocker switch you use to put that shade up or down. Push the button so the shade travels โ€œupโ€ if it is in the down position or โ€œdownโ€ if the shade is in the up position. Release both buttons when the beeping starts. You are now in the learning mode.

Note: Sometimes the programming buttons will become lost or disconnected from the gray learning wire at the motor end of the shade. If that is the case, you can perform this shade adjustment by touching the metal tips of the two ends of the gray wires together. This will simulate pushing the learning button on.

3) Press the same dash button in the same direction you were just going (either up or down) and hold it until it gets close to the upper or lower limit you want the shade to be set at. Release the dash button. You can now โ€œbumpโ€ the shade button in the same direction of travel by repeatedly pushing it until you get it to the limit position you desire. Reverse the shade direction (up or down) from the direction you were initially moving the shade and do not release the button until the shade reaches the other limit you want to set. You will first hear a beep before the shade travels in the opposite direction. This indicates that that limit has been set.

Note: This adjustment is for ignition ON so be sure you set your lower limit above your eye level. This is a safety feature and the shade should NOT go all the way to the dash with the ignition key switch on. The lower limit must not block your view of the road on either the day or night shade.

4) You can now once again โ€œbumpโ€ the shade in the same direction of the desired limit. When there, reverse the shade travel with the dash switch. A beep is heard. Both limits are now locked in.

5) Test the shade limits by pushing the dash switch up to the upper limit and down to the lower limit. If all is well, you can now perform the same adjustment on the other shade (day or night) with the ignition ON if you desire.

Note: Once the ignition ON settings are changed, you MUST reset the limits for ignition off on the same shade. Changing the adjustments in one mode affects the other mode.

Setting the shade limits with the ignition OFF.

The procedure is the same as above, but with the ignition off, you can bring either shade totally down to the dash for complete coverage of the windshield when you are parked.

Note: If you release the dash button too soon when reversing the direction of the shade and you have a long distance to your stop point limit, the motor will only allow you to โ€œbumpโ€ the shade up or down a little at a time. It may be quicker to reverse the direction again, which takes it out of the learning mode, and begin the procedure all over again (item #2 above) by holding both buttons and waiting for the beeps.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

sehunter
Explorer
Explorer
Or you can buy the motor and replace It yourself. I purchased the motor from a RV dealer and replaced it. I did it myself but if you have a helper would be much easier. I think the cost was around $100.
Stan
2008 Bounder
38P, W24, 8.1L, 3 Slides
2019 tow dolly hydraulic brakes

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Start with the cheap fix 1st, my front shade was also not working and it was a $10 switch..

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
want-a-be wrote:
rk911 wrote:
want-a-be wrote:
JoeH wrote:

check your owner's manual. there should be a pair of small switches located near your shades...could be on either side.

We donโ€™t have a manual, what does the switches do?

here's a link to the manual. the programming switches set the limits to which the shades will operate.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

want-a-be
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
want-a-be wrote:
JoeH wrote:

check your owner's manual. there should be a pair of small switches located near your shades...could be on either side.

We donโ€™t have a manual, what does the switches do?

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
want-a-be wrote:
JoeH wrote:

Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

want-a-be
Explorer
Explorer
JoeH wrote:

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Sooner Schooner wrote:
rk911 wrote:
what's wrong? not working at all or are the shades dropping a bit from the bumps as you roll down the road?

Won't go up. We just roll them up manually and strap it down when we travel.

but they'll go down?
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK