cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Winnebago 2007 or 2011 Thor

skes
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at my first Class A purchase. Based on what I've set my budget for a 30 foot coach, I can, roughly speaking, get a 2006/2007 Winnebago or a 2011/2012 Thor brand for about the same cost. What would be some of the pros/cons to lean towards one or the other? Not trying to start a brand wars discussion. Just looking constructive thoughts on buying a brand that "might" be a bit higher quality but is 4-5 years older.
11 REPLIES 11

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rick Jay wrote:
Hi,

I agree with the Tiffen, Newmar & Winnebago comments for quality, but of course, condition is a huge part of that as well.

~Rick

Condition is definitely a prime factor. Having gone through the experience, I'm convinced that there's enough higher rated motorhomes out there that there isn't any reason to choose a lower end model unless the buyer is determined to have something newer and their budget is limited. But, everyone has to do what will make them happy. And there are those that honestly feel that there isn't that much difference between the various manufacturers. What can be hard is having the patience to look and keep looking to find what you want.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hi,

I agree with the Tiffen, Newmar & Winnebago comments for quality, but of course, condition is a huge part of that as well.

The only thing I'd suggest you look at IF you start looking at Winnebago's is to check the chassis for rust. My uncle has a 2007 Winnebago Voyage and for whatever reason, there is A LOT of rust on the sheetmetal of the chassis. Our Georgie Boy is several years older and doesn't have anywhere near the rust his does and we live in the same parts of the country. His did take 2 more winter Florida trips than ours, so his might have been exposed to a bit more salt, but I would doubt that alone could be the reason. Maybe his just received a crummy paint job on the sheet metal? And I haven't heard any one else complain of this on these forums, so perhaps his is an isolated case.

The only other thing I would suggest is IF it's at all possible, I'd recommend you consider something in the 34'-36' range. The extra couple of feet make a big difference for interior space and outside storage. The difference driving is mostly negligible and there shouldn't be that much difference in cost.

Good Luck in your search.

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
scbwr wrote:
We narrowed our search down to Tiffin, Newmar and Winnebago.

a good decision, IMHO
bumpy

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
What model for each brand, entry level or mid to high end and gas or diesel. For the 5 yr difference, and similar price, the Winnebago product could be a mid range diesel with a much better driveline/chassis.
BUT condition and maintenance would be my final decision.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Based on what I've seen when looking for our first class A, I'd go with the Winnebago. It the Winnebago doesn't pass your inspection, move on and look for something else. We narrowed our search down to Tiffin, Newmar and Winnebago. We may have considered something else, but Thor was at the bottom of our list.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
way2roll wrote:
When looking at used MH's condition trumps brand. A high end brand that wasn't taken care of is a far worse deal than a low end brand that's meticulous. they all have the same chassis (for the most part) and most of the same components. It all comes down to the condition and the floorplan you want.

I agree with part of the above, but construction is different from Winnie to Thor. Winnie is better built that is why they cost more and in general last longer. A Thor will not be as well built as a Winnie, ever.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
the winnebago will have a fiberglass roof, does the thor? no contest IMHO
bumpy

Airdaile
Explorer
Explorer
Pick the one that was the high end when it was built.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
When looking at used MH's condition trumps brand. A high end brand that wasn't taken care of is a far worse deal than a low end brand that's meticulous. they all have the same chassis (for the most part) and most of the same components. It all comes down to the condition and the floorplan you want.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
With older models, a lot depends on condition, condition, and . . . . . condition. Mileage, frequency of use, (full time lived in or vacation only), owner added options, (towing/upgrades) maintenance history, accident damage, stored inside, (or out) pets, smoking, private party/dealer sale? I could go on and on but you have to decide what features suit you best, then look for those in the vehicle you pursue. What you want is out there, you'll just have to look for it.

Chum lee

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Both Ford and Chevy had the higher HP engines and better transmissions beginning in 2006. For the model years you are looking at I would prefer the Chevy because of the Allison transmission. Also prefer the full basement storage over small cutout type doors on the newer Thor MH’s. The older models usually come with more FW capacity and are farther down the depreciation curve. Your decision will be based on how you plan to use the MH. If you have kids some of the newer Thor MH’s have more sleeping positions. The chassis will be Ford and will have another gear in the transmission and 320 HP vs 362 HP of the 2006 &07 models.