cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Winter - Mice Nest location warning

fourthclassC
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy, could be any type but I have found mice nests down in the engine, under the intake manifold (2002 Ford V 10). Look out for them there. Also couple years ago they ate my paper air filter and it wrecked my MAF (Mass Air Flow ) sensor.

Just sayin look out for them and the damage they cause....
11 REPLIES 11

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
After experiencing rodent infestation I used a bright light under C and left hood open sometimes. I also started up engine once a week. C is gone and new TT haven't seen much but there's not much to hide in.

Seon
Explorer
Explorer
I store my previous and now the current RV in the barn. We use Irish Spring soap placed in each outside compartment as well as in various location in the coach. We've had no sign of mice plus the soap scent smells good.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pack rats are the worst. They eat the insulation in engine compartments.
Open the hood and keep the lights on. Evergreen boughs deter them. Set traps near tie rod ends.

PSW
Explorer
Explorer
I have used Tomcat for years. Our Phoenix Cruiser is stored inside an enclosed facility but mice/rats are still possible, larger animals not possible. I put a block at each wheel after it is parked and simply slide them out of the way when backing out the PC. Buy it at Ace, Tractor Supply, etc. I have never had a rodent problem. Obviously, this should not be used if other animals could gain access to the area.
Tomcat-Killer-Resistant-Refillable-Station
PSW
2013 Phoenix Cruiser 2350
2014 Jeep Cherokee behind it
and a 2007 Roadtrek 210P for touring

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
ron.dittmer wrote:
Getting a bit "Punky" are we? Is your rig a "Low Rider" too?

Sorry, I couldn't resist the temptation.

Interesting approach to rodents.

No it is a Ram 3500 DRW, but under carriage lights might be helpful also, as we have a string of the same LED lights under the 5er.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
Getting a bit "Punky" are we? Is your rig a "Low Rider" too?

Sorry, I couldn't resist the temptation.

Interesting approach to rodents.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well we full time Park Host, and some of our favorite sites have mice issues, Lights have worked well for us, not stink and they seem effective. This is my under hood lights. This is a cut to length strip of white LED lights.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

ybconway
Explorer
Explorer
I used dryer sheets but found that moth ball packs work much better.

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
Hang nylon socks full of mothballs about the engine compartment during storage. No guarantee, but may be enough of a deterrent.

I am hoping this strategy works on our Saturn Sky being stored under our deck. I also have moth balls in trays inside the car and trunk.

Our rural home setting is ridden with rodents of all kinds. Good thing it's a 100% brick house or they would find a way inside very easily.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the warning.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

FireGuard
Explorer
Explorer
They like to build a nest in the cavity below the a/c compressor on my Suburban.
They can be a PIA.
Interestingly, I just bought a car from my neighbor who had it parked in front of his shop for the past 3 yrs. I was expecting to find a mess of feces/urine and nests caused by rats and mice. When I started cleaning it up, I didn’t see one sign of anything.
He has feral cats and chickens that hang out around the shop so I’m thinking hey are the best prevention.
Time to get cats and chickens. LOL.
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650