cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winterization - Active Air question

cvbdsl
Explorer
Explorer
OK I have a 2008 HR Scepter 42 PDQ with the Active Air leveling system only (no jacks).

For the winter months it is parked beside my house and plugged into a 30 amp service. The question is should I leave it in the "Auto" mode (where the small auxiliary compressor maintains the air bags a few times a day).

Or should I leave it in travel mode knowing that the air bags will slowly deflate over time and the house will sit on the frame. Is there any log term issue with the air bags being down?

Don't forget I'm talking about it sitting six months and at time the temperatures will be really cold, well below freezing.

Thanks

Chris
2008 Holiday Rambler Scepter 42 PDQ
2018 Ford Edge SEL- Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar/Blue Ox Base plate/Patriot Brake System
Retired Canadian Army WO (1971-2000)
7 REPLIES 7

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dump the air and turn everything, including the air compressor, off. Open the fridge to let it air out and keep the multi-stage battery charger(s) going as there is still some parasitic 12V draws. Have a great Winter and "she" will be ready for you in the Spring!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Donโ€™t forget though, with jacks you can take most of the weight off the tires, that makes a difference.

With my Freightliner I have wooden blocks cut to height. I put a big screw eye in each one and using an old hockey stick handle I can slide them in under the frame rails or pull them back out easily. By blowing off the air you can then take the load off the tires for the winter.

Food for thought.

cvbdsl
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info.
I guess thinking about it with my previous MHs I just let them sit and in the spring they would air up although they were on the jacks all winter.(forgot about the bumpers).

So I'll just leave it in travel mode for the winter.

thanks

Chris
2008 Holiday Rambler Scepter 42 PDQ
2018 Ford Edge SEL- Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar/Blue Ox Base plate/Patriot Brake System
Retired Canadian Army WO (1971-2000)

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
It doesn't make any difference how you do it. I park it and turn everything off.

When a air bag deflates, that does not mean everything is resting on the frame. There is a rubber bumper inside the bag that the coach will sit on

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hit the air dump and crank it up and go in the spring. No, I do not exercise my 04 Dynasty every month, even when snowbirding in WPB each winter.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
I would chose an in-between method. That would be to exercise the air bags every couple of weeks and chose a time when the ambient temperature is as warm as possible.

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
I dump all air when parking our 09 HR. We have a hydraulic levelling system which is not used for storage. Then disconnect batteries from chassis and coach. Both sets of batteries are maintained by solar over the winter.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad