cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Worst dealer experience ever - price change

cvbdsl
Explorer
Explorer
OK I'm excited that we closed a deal on a HR Scepter 42PDQ.

But I'm P@#@# with the owners of the dealership.
I went there in good faith that the MH would be at the advertised price as when I started talking to them last week. The price was advertised on their web site and on auto trader. I last talked to the sales rep on Wednesday and arrived on Thursday to view the MH.

We were satisfied with the MH and agreed to purchase. Imagine my surprise when the price quoted was $10K higher than what I had seen on their site.
The salesman was confused as well.

He went and talked to one of the owners and was told the price had gone up Wednesday because he had put 8 new tires on??? (Really $1250 per tire??) Also the pictures on the web site showed the new tires already on and had been on the web for a week.

He refused to honor the old web price! Eventually I did wear them down by $5K but it still does not make me feel good.

We never met him and every time the salesman tried to see him with an offer he was gone from his office for 15-30 minutes at a time.

Even the salesman acknowledged that this was a poor business practice.

We previously dealt with the dealership when their father ran things and had nothing but good to say. Obviously his sons don't have the same sense of honor and commitment and are ruining the business reputation as word will spread (I guarantee it!)

Before saying I should have walked remember that in my area ( and this was a 7 hour drive away) there are very few MHs on the market and we've been looking for 3 months. This MH does meet all our requirements and even thought the price was jacked up it was not a bad deal. (though try and tell the DW that.)

We haven't picked up the MH yet but this is not over from our perspective.

Chris
2008 Holiday Rambler Scepter 42 PDQ
2018 Ford Edge SEL- Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar/Blue Ox Base plate/Patriot Brake System
Retired Canadian Army WO (1971-2000)
35 REPLIES 35

GeeWillakers
Explorer
Explorer
Nobody can second guess your decision; they weren't in exactly the same situation. Enjoy your new MH.
2007 Triple-E Commander A3202FB W22 8.1 6spd Banks Power
2014 Jeep Wrangler JK toad, a Bug and a Frenchie

Roger_in_VERMON
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds familiar to me. I had a similar experience with an RV dealer in north west NY state. I cleaned up my motorhome went to the bank borrowed the money and called the dealer the morning I was to leave also a 7 hour trip. The salesman told me the dealers owner raised the price by $10,000.00. I never left home. They called me for two weeks asking what they could do to make this deal work.
I could not believe the nerve of these people. Unbelievable!
๐Ÿ™‚ 2001 41' Holiday Rambler Imperial
2004 Jeep Wrangler
Weekenders and Loving it!

Hikerdogs
Explorer
Explorer
We had a similar experience when attempting to buy our first motorhome. In this case the motorhome was being ordered brand new from the factory. We visited the dealer on a Saturday and agreed on a price. We were still a bit hesitant and wanted to sit on the potential decision over the weekend.

We didn't sign the contract, but took it with us with the intention of signing and mailing it back the next Monday. Before we had the chance to do anything the dealer called us back and said he couldn't sell us the motorhome for the agreed upon price. He needed $300.00 more.

Really, he was going to jeopardize a $100,000.00 sale for $300.00? Apparently so. It made me so mad I wouldn't even consider it. We contacted several other dealers and eventually ordered one from another dealer for nearly $1,000.00 less than the price we had agreed on with the first dealer.

When we went shopping for our current motorhome we wouldn't even consider getting a price from the dealer that had changed his mind half way through the transaction. If you can't trust someone to stick with the price, how can you trust anything else they say or do?
Hikerdogs
2013 Winnebago Adventurer

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Why did you do business with a liar? Imagine where you relationship will go from here. You gave a crook your hard earned money and you are mad at the crook?

This^^^

I don't know why you even bothered to post here. You were played. Posting your story here will only make you feel worse.

Having dealt with unscrupulous auto dealers before, I can guarantee you that if you packed up and started driving off the lot, you would not have gotten to the driveway.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
Closed the deal, but you're not done. Happy with the unit but chewing over your bitterness and working up your bad reviews.

Seems to me the seller and customer are well matched.

The dealer may have done some incremental reputation damage to themselves, and you've ensured you'll have a bitter aftertaste for this coach evermore. Seems equitable.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
check the date on the tires and that they just didn't paint the tires

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why did you do business with a liar? Imagine where you relationship will go from here. You gave a crook your hard earned money and you are mad at the crook?
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Cvbdsl, you were honest about your story and we all appreciate that.

You did what you thought was best as you wanted that unit. Some of us would have walked, some would have bought, as you did.

Enjoy the unit and YELL on the reviews telling your story about that dealer!

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

mccsix
Explorer
Explorer
Whatever you do now, don't let it sour the enjoyment of your new coach.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure about Canada laws, but in the USA an advertisement is not a firm offer to sell (because mistakes and misprints can happen, is the rationale for the law being that way).

It is not illegal for a dealer to be a horse's patootie, but it is dumb, unethical, and bad for business in the long run. It is sad that you were put in the position of wanting the rig badly enough to reward them monetarily with a sale, but sometimes we do have to put up with nastiness to get what we want or need.

Personally, I would have walked out the first time they brought up the higher price. A dealer like that, who knows what defects or maintenance issues they'd be willing to hide in order to make a buck?
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
crasster wrote:
100% would have walked. Period. No excuses justifies a 10k price increase.

He actually did one better and the right thing. He got the coach at about what he would have expected to get it for elsewhere and he can still bring charges and/or complaints to the right parties. Who knows what he might end up with in the long run and if I was the OP, it would end up costing him more than the 5K he bargained for. Given the chance, anyway.
The last coach we bought and because of some unusual circumstances, just kept on giving back in a monetary way and not that we enjoyed the hassle of it all.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
cvbdsl wrote:

Before saying I should have walked remember that in my area ( and this was a 7 hour drive away) there are very few MHs on the market and we've been looking for 3 months. This MH does meet all our requirements and even thought the price was jacked up it was not a bad deal. (though try and tell the DW that.)

We haven't picked up the MH yet but this is not over from our perspective.

Chris

I would of walked right out and never went back, but that's me.

My current class A I drove to California to purchase and the class A before this one I drove to New Mexico to purchase, saved over $10,000 on each purchase by not buying here in Vegas at our high priced RV dealers and lack of good used units.

You been had by a low price fake add to get you in the dealership, by buying the motorhome at a higher price than advertised you supported them to continue on with the lies..

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
You got played and bought it anyway. I would have walked but I hate dishonest sales people. Might as well enjoy the rv. You made the decision.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
100% would have walked. Period. No excuses justifies a 10k price increase.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.