cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Canned Ham ??

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
I've got a canned ham question. Our church is doing a Christmas dinner drive for the less fortunate and I volunteered to donate canned ham.

a) The only place I've found them had them refrigerated. The reason we were told to get canned hams is because they don't need refrigeration. What's the truth?

b) Only one store, Food Maxx, has had any and not enough for our effort. Where have you guys/gals seen them?
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk
22 REPLIES 22

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
coolbreeze01 wrote:
Seems like 3+ lb canned hams have always been in the refrigerated section.
Not an expert, I don't care for them, but enjoy giving them away.

Good on ya Dave.

You can do some interesting stuff with the canned hams and they have sort of a "spam" personality to them (if you like spam of course).

I do have 3 cans of spam in the pantry for an emergency, but prefer bone in ham. Cooks brand has been consistently good.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

Steve_B_
Explorer
Explorer
We have used the Krakaus Polish canned hams in the past, and they are surprisingly good. It's the only canned ham I will buy. They some in two sizes, I believe. I've had other canned hams that were more like Spam than ham.
2000 Twister by Fifties Trailers,
2017 Honda Ridgeline
2003 Miniature Schnauzer, Meyer

Leo_Benson
Explorer
Explorer
how much do they cost? Maybe you could skip the canned ham and give a grocery store gift certificate for that amount and the recipients can chose their own fresh meat? Probably more appealing and healthier than those canned hams?

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
coolbreeze01 wrote:

Good on ya Dave.

You can do some interesting stuff with the canned hams and they have sort of a "spam" personality to them (if you like spam of course).
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

s1214
Explorer
Explorer
I would ask at the local grocery store if they can special order a case or two for you. I know my locally owned store has special ordered a number of things and usually charge their cost. (no stocking or storing unused).

swtgran
Explorer
Explorer
Aldi's usually sells small canned hams.
Swtgran
2007 Casita 17ft SD
2005 Toyota Tundra

SWMO
Explorer
Explorer
Well maybe you can find a supplier that is sympathetic and will give you break on them. We can all hope any way.
I wonder if the US distributor could help in some way? If nothing else point to someone who might help you out.
2009 Dodge 3500 Laramie, DRW, 4X4, auto, 6.7L, B & W Companion.
Jayco Designer 34RLQS, Mor/Ryde

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the responses. This has turned into a real debacle. We're looking for around 70 and found 12 at one Wal Mart. It looks like we are going to have to start ordering them online. You know what they say, no good deed goes unpunished.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Shortie1915
Explorer
Explorer
The DAK hams used to be really good and just right for a family of 3 - me, my dog and cat! Shortie

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer

Good on ya Dave.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
I buy the DAK canned ham in Wal-Mart. It is in the canned meat section, usually by Vienna Sausage, Deviled Ham, Tuna Fish products. No refrigeration.
It is small, maybe 1 or 2 lb. cans.

Redcatcher70
Explorer
Explorer
Super Dave, our Church does the same thing and most of the time all I can find are one or two pound cans, we just buy as many as we can and put several in the box for larger families. Have you tried any of the Dollar General or Family Dollar Stores, that is usually where I end up buying the DAK brand of canned ham....
Dave & Pat
2008 Hi-Lo 19T
2004 F250, XLT Crew Cab, V10, finally, enough power!
"No kids, no pets, made it to retirement"

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
God bless you Dave, for helping the hungry!
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Amazon has all you need with two day delivery!