cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Crate for the cast iron

danager
Explorer
Explorer
My 13 year old started a construction course this semester. It wasn't long before an opportunity to work together presented itself.

I purchased my first piece of cast iron cookware last spring. A 12" dutch oven from Cabela's travelled the highways and backroads and made many appearances last summer. Sure, I burnt some stuff, we also quickly landed on some meals that came out better than expected. As I prepare for this year's expeditions, I decided to add to my collection. I purchased a 10" dutch oven, and a 12" deep skillet with lid (basically a shallow skillet). This should just about do the trick for our family of 4.

I like to keep things organized, so all of this needed a home. I also want to keep it safe, like anything that is cared for, it will last longer. I have a respectable size pass-through on the travel trailer. I have several Rubbermaid Roughneck 25 gallon totes used for sorting various items. I learned that you cannot safely store the three-legged dutch ovens and expect to not poke holes in the bottom and see the tote really deform. I needed something sturdier...

My son and I got out the cast iron, and the tools that are only used for cooking with the cast iron. So I now have a 12" & 10" dutch oven, skillets, lid lifter and chimney starter. After some measuring, we determined that a crate , the size of the plastic totes, with squared sides, will fit all of the equipment. In a few hours, we had the 3/4" plywood cut, glued & screwed together. We added rope handles, lined it with burlap and stained it navajo red.

Everything fits well, it is sturdy and it is HEAVY. It was still missing something... We then whipped up a stencil with the name of the trailer - Flying Dutchmen. Sprayed that on the lid and the side as well as the inside burlap. It has a steam trunk theme now. We have a trip planned to Mt Rushmore and then Yellowstone, where we will pick up stickers along the way.

It was fun to work on this project with my boy, who is quickly becoming a man. Hopefully we started a tradition that will be a part of our trips for a years to come. Each sticker will represent a memory, some family time, us celebrating our ability to slow down and enjoy the view from time to time.

Moved to Camp Cooks forum from DIY.

6 REPLIES 6

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
danager wrote:

It was fun to work on this project with my boy, who is quickly becoming a man. Hopefully we started a tradition that will be a part of our trips for a years to come. Each sticker will represent a memory, some family time, us celebrating our ability to slow down and enjoy the view from time to time.

Those are the times and experiences that will live in your son's memory forever and hopefully he will repeat them with his children. Good on you!!!!
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

SWMO
Explorer
Explorer
I have always stored my DO with a strip of webbing, the material seamstresses use to stiffen belts, between the lid and the bottom. This allows air to circulate a dry any errant moisture.
2009 Dodge 3500 Laramie, DRW, 4X4, auto, 6.7L, B & W Companion.
Jayco Designer 34RLQS, Mor/Ryde

woodgeezer
Explorer
Explorer
Rigid foam and something to hold them in place is advisable. If the pieces bounce around you run the risk of breaking a foot, or cracking a lid or pan. I move lots of iron and find that being careful is better than being sorry.

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
Good idea if you've got the space for it. We keep our iron in flannel bags (with a divider inside to separate the lid) made out of dish towels. We can keep them oiled that way, they don't attract dust bunnies, and the flannel stops any clanking while driving.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds very good. Not to mention your son learning some skills he can use all his life.

We still need to do something with ours, not sure exactly what yet.

Just passing it along, while researching ideas of what we think we want I found some people are very clever.

-Formica liner keeps wood from getting beat up by legs of D/O.
-The round cloth carriers, some people put styroform as a cushion between legs and bottom of carrier and replace once Styrofoam get bad. Or combination of both.

I'm in a small class c, and I was surprised how much room the D/O stuff takes up once you get it all together.

P.S. I cheat and use a temp gun.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
INHO, one cannot beat cast iron. I have several including a large frying pan and a dutch oven.

They can't be beat for even temperature and heat retention. In addition the maintenance is simple and straight-forward. They can be used on any BBQ or on a fire pit.

It seems to me that there is very little one cannot cook with them.

Some great recipes from Field & Stream. Take a look.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.