cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cup, glass & plate storage

Winnipeg
Explorer
Explorer
What do you use to protect your glassware (and keep it quiet) while traveling? We are tired of plastic & paper plates. We also don't want to have to wrap everything up every time we move. We want something that looks nice, easy to use, and does the job. Any ideas?

(I hope that I posted this in the correct topic area)
15 REPLIES 15

Debbie
Explorer
Explorer
I use a wire dish divider from Walmart. stack corelle dishes and bowls. On the side I have a couple of plastic plates we use sometimes. Glass cabinet coffee cups are just turned upside down. I have wines glasses that are from dollar store glass turn them upside down. We also have paper plates when we camp with a group.My dishes also sit in a cupboard in the middle of our fifth. We had a rear kitchen and had corelle dishes break, silverware bounce out of drawers and scratch the floor. Even in the non slip liners. This rack works great, used it for about 15 yrs now.
I wanna go where I haven't been, but still wanna see what I've seen again!

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
trailerbikecamper wrote:
magnusfide wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:
Non slip shelf liners between the plates and one on the bottom so they don't slide.

Cut them to fit and just leave them in place all the time on the stacked dishes. As you use them and wash them it takes a second to replace the liner between them.

My glass cups just simply get placed into a drawer in the closet where I keep my towels. Takes 2 minutes to walk them to the closet drawer. Well worth the time not to hear them rattling when I hit the road. :C

Double ditto. We use this method on our Corelle plates. We don't bother with glass tumblers though. We're happy with our ginormous insulated mugs and plastic cups.

X3

And in the rear kitchen of my parents fiver they do the same. The coffee mugs are hung from hooks so they can swing, but can't swing against each other. Not sure about drinking glasses.

In ours, we just place the drinking glasses upside down on a non slip shelf liner.

X4
We also have a rear kitchen and really donโ€™t do anything different than we did in the S&B.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

grandma_lynn
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on using old socks for the glassware, cut to size. Rest of my dishes are vintage melmac from my mother-in-law. It is almost indestructible. Also use socks on jars of pickles etc, nothing broken yet. Worst mess was loose lid on a jar of pickled beets. Oh my lesson learned.
full-timer in training

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
We just down sized from a 35 ft 5th wheel to a truck camper. We had everything you could think of inside the 5th wheel, was just like home. My DW would always have to draw the dishes etc I. Towels before we moved. Like I said we down sized and since there are only two of us, we cut way back on the amount of glasses, cups plates etc that we travel with.
We now have ALL of our cups, glasses, plates, soup bowls etc in a large drawer. We have big salad popcorn type mixing Bowles and Tupperware in another drawer. all our food is stored in the cupboards where we donโ€™t have to worry about it banging around etc, however the DW still puts a towel in the cupboard with the cocktail hour liquid solution (s)
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

trailerbikecamp
Explorer
Explorer
magnusfide wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:
Non slip shelf liners between the plates and one on the bottom so they don't slide.

Cut them to fit and just leave them in place all the time on the stacked dishes. As you use them and wash them it takes a second to replace the liner between them.

My glass cups just simply get placed into a drawer in the closet where I keep my towels. Takes 2 minutes to walk them to the closet drawer. Well worth the time not to hear them rattling when I hit the road. :C

Double ditto. We use this method on our Corelle plates. We don't bother with glass tumblers though. We're happy with our ginormous insulated mugs and plastic cups.

X3

And in the rear kitchen of my parents fiver they do the same. The coffee mugs are hung from hooks so they can swing, but can't swing against each other. Not sure about drinking glasses.

In ours, we just place the drinking glasses upside down on a non slip shelf liner.
Dan

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a motorhome and just put the non skid shelf liner in the cupboards with plates stacked, bowls stacked, glasses top down. I have a lid racks for my cooking pan lids and a drawer all my pans, ovenware are in( also with non-skid liner under them). We don't have a problem with things moving around when we travel.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
rockhillmanor wrote:

"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
We navigated away from paper and plastic years ago. We still bring paper and plastic with us, which is nice sometimes, but we enjoy using real dishes more. Our camper is our vacation home, our resort, our second home, our pride and joy. When we use the camper we want it to be a special experience, so nothing like putting the best in the camper.

One of those little things we did was purchase Corelle Ware plates, bowls, saucers, and cups. We got them from WalMart, so the price was very reasonable. They are REAL dishes, but more durable than china or glass. They withstand the bumping of the camper when going down the road, and really take no special effort to secure them from breaking than plastic or paper.

We have the classic cafe red set of 4. We also picked up a nice set of silverware (actually from a yard sale, paid like $10 for the entire set, that probably cost $400 or $500 when new... with the wooden case and everything). Silverware is absolutely gorgeous.

We bring along our special souvenir coffee mugs (porcelain) from all the different places we collected them from, and we have a couple of wine glasses. The wine glasses are a very heavy glass, not the light dainty thin stemmed ones. Ours has a much fatter stem, thicker glass, and quite heavy! These are the only 2 items what we wrap up in small dish towels for travel.

Sometimes, it's nice to use a paper plate on top of the Corelle one, just so clean up is easier. We do this sometimes, and if we have guests, we pull out the paper. We do have a stack of Red Solo Cups we keep handy. I like the Red Solo Cups because they can be thrown away and don't have to feel guilty. And sometimes, washing dishes does become a real drag.

We also have normal home pots and pans, skillet, and things like metal spaghetti strainers, and such. We don't have much plastic, except for a set of large nesting style bowels, which I like to use for pop-corn, or if needing to use as a mixing bowel. We also cook primarily on 2 electric flat Presto griddles and an electric skillet. We use the outside stove, mostly for boiling water when we have spaghetti, or boiling corn on the cob or a hotdog.

All these items are pretty much not breakable, stack by nesting inside the next size up to save space, and are interchangeable as much as possible. Moving in this direction, still makes the outfitted items in the camper luxurious, and yet, at the same time, highly durable and functional.

This works for us. And actually, we have better dishes and cook ware in the camper than we do in the house. We also have nicer blankets and sheets and pillows in the camper too, than the house. We want our camper to truly be somewhere special for us. So we made it that way. (and besides, we spend so much time in it, even at home ... why not spoil ourselves?)

rockylarson
Explorer
Explorer
We use GalleyWare from West Marine. NonSkid Galleyware
Jan and Rocky
Volunteers for USFWS. 29 refuges with 9300 hrs ea since 2006. 2004 Allegro 30DA, Workhorse 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty Jet, Blue Ox Aladdin, Brake Buddy Advantage Select, 300 watts solar, 5 Optima group 31 AGM's, 2000watt Ames PSW inverter.

johnna
Explorer
Explorer
I use paper plates, bowls, cups and plastic containers to protect dishes and glass ware. Old socks for mugs, glasses...

:C
2004 Ford 350 Super Duty 2W Dirve Long Bed PU
2008 327RLT Montana Mountaineer 35 ft. 5th wheel
2005 Alaska and other Trip Logs

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Non-skid shelf liner. Glass tumblers, dishes and bowls stay where you put them. As said above, wine glasses stay in the box.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I wore out two sets of wine glasses, Roy. Still on the originals?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
For glasses, I made some little custom boxes out of cardboard and scotch tape. Each custom box holds two drink glasses. The boxes have no top. Our wine glasses are still in the original box that they came in almost 20 years ago.

For Corelli dishes and bowls, same sizes are stacked together with a layer of bubble wrap between stacks. These and the wine glasses were purchased in 1998 and none have broken.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
You don't say what kind of RV you have... I'm sure things rattling in a motorhome are more annoying since you're riding in there with everything. Of course, we can't hear what's going on in our fifth wheel - and the independent suspension and shocks give it a pretty soft ride, anyway. We have Corelle dishes, coffee mugs, etc., and just put them on the non-skid shelf liner we have in all the cabinets. We've never had a problem in over two years of full-timing - and 138 moves during that time.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015