cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

food storage

Zorarel
Explorer
Explorer
What do uoy all use for food storage to keep food warm, like here bestvacuumflask.com? I normal just throw the big stuff in a milk crate and call it good, but after an ordeal with some oreos and ants I am looking for something a little more secure. Should I just go with an action packer and I am just over thinking things?
12 REPLIES 12

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Non perishable foods are very durable. They travel across the country in unrefrigerated trailers all summer long. From manufacturers to distributors, to wholesalers, to grocery stores. In and out of the heat a few times before they even get to your RV.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

sofive0
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input. I still can't help but, to wonder how the food inside the can is actually effected.

2oldman wrote:
sofive0 wrote:
I often worry/wonder how the heat inside the RV while it's parked at home awaiting the nect trip out, what that does to canned veggies and such inside the pantry.
I think the veggies are ok, it's the canned pop that may explode.
2018 Ram 3500 Carolina Customs Flatbed w/gooseneck hitch, 6.7ltr Cummins Diesel Engine
2013 Heartland Sundance 3400QB
Eaz-Lift 15" Gooseneck Adapter

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
sofive0 wrote:
I often worry/wonder how the heat inside the RV while it's parked at home awaiting the nect trip out, what that does to canned veggies and such inside the pantry.
I think the veggies are ok, it's the canned pop that may explode.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Our trailer is in the campground all summer and there are weeks that we arenโ€™t there. Iโ€™ve found that things in cabinets on outside walls get uncomfortably hot. Our pantry is on an inside wall, thankfully. Food in the pantry has always made it through the summer just fine.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
sofive0 wrote:
I often worry/wonder how the heat inside the RV while it's parked at home awaiting the nect trip out, what that does to canned veggies and such inside the pantry. I know of alot of days that the inside temp of the RV has to be 100 degrees. Any thoughts?

I worry about the same thing so I wait till just a few days before and either keep the Fantastic fan running or keep the AC on. And I will wait to pack the freshest food last.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

sofive0
Explorer
Explorer
I often worry/wonder how the heat inside the RV while it's parked at home awaiting the next trip out, what that does to canned veggies and such inside the pantry. I know of alot of days that the inside temp of the RV has to be 100 degrees. Any thoughts?
2018 Ram 3500 Carolina Customs Flatbed w/gooseneck hitch, 6.7ltr Cummins Diesel Engine
2013 Heartland Sundance 3400QB
Eaz-Lift 15" Gooseneck Adapter

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Back in the days of tent, I bought some of the containers that have the hinged 2 piece interlocking top. I put sheet metal dividers in them. Closed, I would use bolts to hold them closed against 'coons. Flat to transport, or stack, stand on end the dividers are shelves.
BTW, when packing for trip, we bring into kitchen switch open packs for new ones I totes. When home, restock the totes before store in basement. In emergency we have food packed.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
When we camped out of our cabover camper, there wasn't much room so we would pitch a small tent that would house our ice chests and rubbermaid containers. Dry goods in the rubbermaids.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Where does the milk crate go?

Good question, plus what are you camping in? A popup, a tent, an RV, a pickup camper?

When we use our popup or tent, all food goes in zip lock bags. If dry goods, then in a canvas carry-all. If wet, then in the cooler. Same with tent camping. In our FW, in the pantry or fridge, but in zip loc bags.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Where does the milk crate go?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
My RV has a pantry, but anything not in a can or bottle goes into a zip-lock bag or a plastic container with a lid. Keeps everything fresher and deters critters!
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Double zip lock bags will keep the ants out of the oreos unless they are very intelligent and have a work party that force the zip lock open.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu