cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Freeze Butter?

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
Just wondering if butter can be safely stored frozen without affecting quality. IIRC, I vaguely remember doing so in the past, but now I'm not sure. I'm talking about real stick butter, not margarine. Thanks.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)
14 REPLIES 14

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
When we were milking cows, we used to make our own butter. It tended to come in 3-5 lb bunches and right after churning, of course, it came unsalted. We'd add salt to some and keep some as unsalted. If you have salted butter and want sweet (unsalted) butter you can wash the salt out easily with tap water. After packaging we'd freeze whatever excess we had.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
NYCgrrl wrote:
Little Kopit wrote:
I'tis what dey duz with the salt free butter that is made for those with medical problems for too much salt.

๐Ÿ˜‰

I haven't bought salted butter in over 40 years:E....how time flies as yer having fun.

Now it started because my Papa had a bad heart and Mother and Nana suffered from hypertension but then I went to France and found that they believe that when most butter is salted it's cuz it's inferior in taste. Errrrr my mouth tells me they're right and this from a someone who used to eat Land o Lake salted butter sandwiches for lunch, LOL.

Keep in mind that in Paris (or Reims or Lyons- you get the picture) you can buy at least 8 different types of butter from even the meanest cheesemonger (They are mostly skinny but boyyy do they like buttah!).

Should you ever get to taste Echire butter, do, and your mouth will reward you and you won't think it's sickly peeps' foodstuff:).

The first time I had some of the strawberry butter from Patti's Restaurant in Kentucky, I thought I had died and gone to Heaven.

- But then I had a piece of one of their pies and I KNEW I had died and gone to Heaven.

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
We usually don't use butter, but I do cold smoke it.
Take a stick of butter and roll it in a spice of your choice. I prefer either lemon pepper or garlic. Cold smoke it for a good hour or a little more over a gentle wood like Alder. Cold smoke are the optima words here. Remove from the smoker, wrap and freeze. Next time you plan a steak dinner, thaw the butter and plop a good size paddy on top of the steak as you serve it. Just a little bit of heaven!
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies, everyone. No doubt the general concencus is it CAN be frozen. ๐Ÿ˜„
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

MandKJohns
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with everyone. I've got 6 sticks in my freezer right now.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Yes. Do it all the time.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Little Kopit wrote:
I'tis what dey duz with the salt free butter that is made for those with medical problems for too much salt.

๐Ÿ˜‰

I haven't bought salted butter in over 40 years:E....how time flies as yer having fun.

Now it started because my Papa had a bad heart and Mother and Nana suffered from hypertension but then I went to France and found that they believe that when most butter is salted it's cuz it's inferior in taste. Errrrr my mouth tells me they're right and this from a someone who used to eat Land o Lake salted butter sandwiches for lunch, LOL.

Keep in mind that in Paris (or Reims or Lyons- you get the picture) you can buy at least 8 different types of butter from even the meanest cheesemonger (They are mostly skinny but boyyy do they like buttah!).

Should you ever get to taste Echire butter, do, and your mouth will reward you and you won't think it's sickly peeps' foodstuff:).

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
double post-delete

owenssailor
Explorer
Explorer
When I was a student I worked one summer in a butter plant. All the butter went into the giant freezer room right after it was packaged. I expect that all the butter you have purchased has been frozen before you bought it.
2011 Jayco 28U
2012 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 6 spd 3.42 (sold)
2017 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 8 spd 3.42
Equal-i-Zer 1400/14000
RotoChocks

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
delete

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer

๐Ÿ˜‰
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Put it n a freezer zip'lock bag in it's original package/box and you can freeze it for up to a year (box has sell by/best by date so no labeling needed)

When butter is on sale we buy several boxes for freezing

I don't do margarine ---yuk!
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
^^^^I do the same thing.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Absolutely and for sure. The freezer is where I store all my butter whether the stick is opened or not. I just grate it if I need it in a hurry.
If the butter is factory wrapped in a wax type paper I store it in a Ziploc bag; foil paper used? I store it as is.