cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FruitCake

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
When I was kid and later I enjoyed a good fruitcake. It is a hallmark of Christmas. I heard all the jokes about bricks and so forth.
The problem evolved by people not wanting to use the right ingredients and wanting ti done too fast.
Who's first with state fare ribbon, no alcohol, Fruit Cake Receipt.
No short cuts or substituions allowed of moder freez and ship stuff.
27 REPLIES 27

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
rvten wrote:
Fruit cake is somthing you give to someone. To tell them just how much you do not like them.
If you're drop shipping Gethsemane bourbon fruitcakes, you're welcome to send me a dozen or so. PM me for my address. :W :B 😛 :B

dewey02
Explorer
Explorer
Just don't put these in your trailer or you will exceed your GVWR!

rvten
Explorer
Explorer
Fruit cake is somthing you give to someone. To tell them just how much you do not like them.
Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
austondog wrote:
colin street bakery Corsicana Texas

Texas sheet cake with lots of nuts, yes. Fruitcake, not so much! 😉
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
The one and only Gethsemani Farms make and ship the very best fruitcakes in the world.

http://www.gethsemanifarms.org

800-549-1619

austondog
Explorer
Explorer
colin street bakery Corsicana Texas

austondog
Explorer
Explorer
colin street bakery Corsicana offers a really good fruitcake you can order online

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Wife made one week of Christmas. Too late.
Seeing this I realized the recommended two week wait for flavors to meld is here.
We will try it tonight.

Couldn't wait and just ate a piece. It is absolutely great.
No booze though.

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
Double post.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

firecapt1
Explorer
Explorer
I've tried them all and this recipe makes the best fruitcake ever. It's from Alton Brown from the Food Network (Good Eats):

Free Range Fruitcake

1 cup golden raisins
1 cup currants
½ cup sun dried cranberries
½ cup sun dried blueberries
½ cup sun dried cherries
½ cup dried apricots, chopped
Zest of one lemon, chopped coarsely
Zest of one orange, chopped coarsely
¼ cup candied ginger, chopped
1 cup gold rum
1 cup sugar
5 ounces unsalted butter (1 ¼ sticks)
1 cup unfiltered apple juice
4 whole cloves, ground
6 allspice berries, ground
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 ¾ cups all purpose flour
1 ½ teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 eggs
¼ to ½ cup toasted pecans, broken
Brandy for basting and/or spritzing
Combine dried fruits, candied ginger and both zests. Add rum and macerate overnight, or microwave for 5 minutes to re-hydrate fruit.
Place fruit and liquid in a non-reactive pot with the sugar, butter, apple juice and spices. Bring mixture to a boil stirring often, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat and cool for at least 15 minutes. (Batter can be completed up to this point, then covered and refrigerated for up to 2 days. Bring to room temperature before completing cake.)
Heat oven to 325 degrees.
Combine dry ingredients and sift into fruit mixture. Quickly bring batter together with a large wooden spoon, then stir in eggs one at a time until completely integrated, then fold in nuts. Spoon into a 10-inch non-stick loaf pan and bake for 1 hour. Check for doneness by inserting toothpick into the middle of the cake. If it comes out clean, it's done. If not, bake another 10 minutes, and check again.
Remove cake from oven and place on cooling rack or trivet. Baste or spritz top with brandy and allow to cool completely before turning out from pan.
When cake is completely cooled, seal in a tight sealing, food safe container. Every 2 to 3 days, feel the cake and if dry, spritz with brandy. The cake's flavor will enhance considerably over the next two weeks. If you decide to give the cake as a gift, be sure to tell the recipient that they are very lucky indeed.
Frank, Martha & Ryan
2007 Ford F-250 SD Crew Cab
2006 Cougar 289EFS

Happy Trails to you, until we meet again! :B

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
Fruitcake Recipe
Ingredients:
one store bought fruitcake.
one fifth of good brandy.
Instructions:
Toss the fruitcake in the garbage can.
Drink the brandy. 🙂
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Trappist fc in Conyers, GA is the best! Peach Brandy soaked and delicious.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

ETex2
Explorer
Explorer
IDman wrote:
Collins Street Bakery in Corsicana, Tx. are pretty darned good!

YEP theirs is the best. Period.
Proudly clinging to my guns and my religion.

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
For years I was never brave enough to try fruitcake, mostly because of the bad press it gets. Then when I married, DH, his Uncle Bill's fruitcake was famous at Christmas time. I finally got the nerve to try it one year and I was smitten. It was just wonderful. The key was there was no flour in it. All fruit and nuts, much like a recipe that has already been posted.

So I asked Uncle Bill for the recipe. . . it was all from memory, cup of this, cup of that. . . put it in a S L O W oven and bake for a couple hours or however long it takes. Hmmmmph. I can follow directions, but that was just. . . . incomplete for me.

So I went on line to find one with the ingredients he used complete with do-able instructions and I have been making it every Christmas now for years. My parents love it. . . and my Mom HATES fruitcake. I have never used liquor on my fruitcakes. . . not a taste I like, but it could be done I suppose.

World's Best Fruitcake

Ingredients

14 ounces sweetened flaked coconut
8 ounces chopped sugar rolled dates
16 ounces pecan pieces
8 ounces candied cherries (1/2 red, 1/2 green)
8 ounces diced candied pineapple
2 (14 ounce) cans sweetened condensed milk

Directions

Place coconut, dates, and pecan pieces in a very large (7 quart or larger) bowl. With your hands break up chunks of dates & coconut, and stir those 3 ingredients together.
Add the cherries, pineapple, and sweetened condensed milk. Stir thoroughly. (I wear non-powdered surgical gloves, and stir it with my hands because the mixture is very stiff.).
Let set at room temperature while you prepare the pans. Spray 2 - 9"x5" loaf pans with Pam. Line the pans with waxed (or parchment) paper. (We cut parchment paper in 4 1/4"x 16 1/4" strips for this. You want the paper to come up past the short sides of the pans after the mixture is packed into the pans.) Now spray the paper (after you've pressed it into the pans) with Pam.
Stir the ingredients well again.Divide the ingredients equally between the 2 loaf pans.
Pack VERY TIGHTLY and smoothly into the pans. (I wet my hands & press, pack down, & smooth top, using both hands. Wetting your hands keeps them from sticking to "batter".).
Place the pans on the middle rack of the oven and bake at 300 degrees F for 1 hour, or until lightly browned. (If the cakes have baked for an hour, or look a little brown around the edges, take them out of the oven & lift edges of paper a little to see if sides look brown enough. If they're brown on sides, but not on top, you may broil the tops for a few minutes-watch carefully.).
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/