Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Group Camping Food Planning Question

the_e-man
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,

We love to camp with another family. Many years we do Thanksgiving in the Woods together. To help make it easy for us to share in the cooking for the rest of the weekend, we usually come up with a few dinner themes. It can be as simple as Mexican or Italian which helps us bring our own recipes that will likely work well together.

Wondering what other people do to plan camp cooking with 2 or more families for a weekend. I would love your thoughts and ideas.

Thanks.
2018 Grand Design Transcend 28MKS
2010 Ram 2500
Travel Trail Sail - Info on Travel Planning, RV Camping, Outdoor Living
15 REPLIES 15

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
I make a big batch of chicken and sausage gumbo at home, freeze it then warm it at the campsite.

maysaaenables2
Explorer
Explorer

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
ppine wrote:
I really like cooking with Dutch Ovens on a fire for a group. It is a focal point of camp, and an interesting process. Sometimes the neighbors want to stop by and learn about it. It is possible to cook anything in a Dutch Oven. No power needed.

Oorah!
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I really like cooking with Dutch Ovens on a fire for a group. It is a focal point of camp, and an interesting process. Sometimes the neighbors want to stop by and learn about it. It is possible to cook anything in a Dutch Oven. No power needed.

JasseJackson
Explorer
Explorer
You can make pasta all the time...
I like mushrooms avocado pasta...
One of my favourite recipe

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
The couple we camp with does not like to cook breakfast and he loves to smoke and grill, so we cook breakfast/brunch and they always do dinner. I'm not that fond of cooking breakfast either, but it's nice to be served dinner every evening. If one of us is out of something, forgot something, the other usually has it.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
For our family reunions we do themes and everyone brings a potluck dish that matches the theme. The favorite though is Bacon. Dishes prepared with bacon, topped with bacon or bacon served on the side.

We also celebrate Burns' Night and take turns ordering American haggis from Scottish Gourmet USA. Neeps (rutabagas), tatties, Black Bun and a dram of whisky.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

PCronin68
Explorer
Explorer
Crockpot cooking...that way you can spend more time for things you enjoy and less time cooking
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 34b

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
We group camp a lot. Our routine for years has been:
- breakfast - everyone bring some of: eggs, bacon or sausage (predetermined), hash browns and 2 of us cook
- lunch - everyone on their own
- dinner - everyone brings their own meat and a side or dessert to share

Has worked well for us.
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sometimes we decide which family will feed which day. Other times we do a pot luck. (Once the pot luck was leftovers from the other days)
We do Thanksgiving in a campground. Tell friends/family where, and they let us know if they will join. And while I'm cooking, I'm looking around the CG. Once I'm sure the bird will not be bad, anybody that appears to be by themselves, or couples that are not showing signs of major cooking are invited to join us.
A few times somebody has shown a interest in my DO, or how I was cooking something, and next thing we have merged our meal.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
We usually have 4-6 people on river trips. On a week long trip a different person makes dinner each night. Some people cook twice. The last night is usually the extravaganza where everyone pitches in.

For breakfast and lunch we are on our own usually traveling or getting ready to travel. We will have two people make a big breakfast on two lay over days when we do not move camp.

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
Typically what happens for us is this. The women can't agree, so they all bring all kinds of food and it winds up being a gluton-fest with all of us contributing to each meal.

Midwestern thinking. "I have to bring something since that is the way I was raised".
There is something special about camping in an RV.

hokeypokey
Explorer
Explorer
We were invited to “Thanksgiving in July” and that’s exactly what it was. 3 families made turkey & all the trimmings & had several Dutch Ovens going. (we were guests- woo hoo )

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
I go out with two couples. The women plan the meals weeks in advance and one insists on doing most of the cooking but they work together. I bring bacon or sausages for breakfast and usually desserts for dinner. There is always too much.