cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Halibut

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
My husband started fishing on his kayak in the harbor and he's catching halibut and Calico Bass. I think will be eating fish a lot at least once a week.

Do you have any good recipes you would like to share because I rarely cook fish unless it's trout on a camping trip, LOL.
Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
18 REPLIES 18

Heathertee2002
Explorer
Explorer
Happytraveler, so glad you enjoyed it.

It's been a long time since I've been active here, and now am so used to Facebook, I actually find myself looking for a "Like" on some posts. It's nice to see that recipes we post at least were read, let alone actually used.

I wonder if a "Like" button could be added for posts? Wouldn't that be good for interaction? ๐Ÿ™‚
Heather

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Heathertee2002 wrote:
This is an original Alaskan recipe from my Aunt Sal Lesh, who with my uncle Jack and their 8 kids for years ran the Gustavus Inn at Glacier Bay. My cousin Dave runs it now and he still serves this wonderful dish. My aunt was given the recipe by a fisherman from Pelican, Alaska, who was given the recipe by Caddy Ganty herself. This is Gustavus Inn's most-requested recipe.

2 lb. halibut, fresh or defrosted
white wine

Cut the halibut into serving-sized pieces (1" thick, 3"X 3"). Place in a bowl, lightly salting and pouring a little wine over each layer. Cover the bowl and set in a cool place to marinate for 2 hours.

Drain the fillets and pat dry with paper towels. Roll them in

Dry bread crumbs

Place the crumbed fillets in one layer in a lightly buttered baking dish and cover with the following topping:

2 cups sour cream
1 cup real mayonnaise (Do NOT use salad dressing!)
1 cup finely chopped onions

Mix together and spread thickly over the fillets, smoothing it out to the edges to completely cover the fish. Sprinkle the top with paprika. Bake at 350 F. for 20 to 30 minutes or til light brown and bubbly and an instant-read thermometer reads 125 F in the thickest part. Serve immediately with boiled potatoes and a green vegetable.

Thank you so much for your recipe. It was excellent and definitely a keeper.

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are in a tropical area or can access an Asian Food market get some banana leaves, sprinkle with soy sauce, add strips of fresh Ginger and bits of Coriander leaf (Cilantro) add a lime slice and sprinkle with the juice of some lime on top, wrap the filet in banana leaves and steam or put on the grill (it will steam itself).

This will be a revelation of taste in fish for you.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I like any kind of fish cooked most ways as long as it is not overcooked, but my favorite ways of cooking fish while camping is to blacken it. I have an old Coleman gas stove a rectangular grill plate which I get smoking hot, pour some olive oil on plate until it smokes pour excess off then place fish fillets on griddle that has been seasoned and sear each side. Salmon,trout,blue fish,mackerel or any oily fish is good this way. The high heat drives the seasoning into the flesh so you don't need a lot. The outside will be blacked but the inside moist.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
dons2346 wrote:
You have to take out a small loan to afford halibut around here. One restaurant wants $24.95 for fish and chips!

The local fish monger wants 20 bux a pound!

And this is in the PNW

And here in NYC, my favorite fishmonger is selling halibut steaks for $28.00/lb.

On the other hand I can get locally caught haddock for $12.00/lb.
Thank goodness for substitutions!;).

Heathertee2002
Explorer
Explorer
This is an original Alaskan recipe from my Aunt Sal Lesh, who with my uncle Jack and their 8 kids for years ran the Gustavus Inn at Glacier Bay. My cousin Dave runs it now and he still serves this wonderful dish. My aunt was given the recipe by a fisherman from Pelican, Alaska, who was given the recipe by Caddy Ganty herself. This is Gustavus Inn's most-requested recipe.

2 lb. halibut, fresh or defrosted
white wine

Cut the halibut into serving-sized pieces (1" thick, 3"X 3"). Place in a bowl, lightly salting and pouring a little wine over each layer. Cover the bowl and set in a cool place to marinate for 2 hours.

Drain the fillets and pat dry with paper towels. Roll them in

Dry bread crumbs

Place the crumbed fillets in one layer in a lightly buttered baking dish and cover with the following topping:

2 cups sour cream
1 cup real mayonnaise (Do NOT use salad dressing!)
1 cup finely chopped onions

Mix together and spread thickly over the fillets, smoothing it out to the edges to completely cover the fish. Sprinkle the top with paprika. Bake at 350 F. for 20 to 30 minutes or til light brown and bubbly and an instant-read thermometer reads 125 F in the thickest part. Serve immediately with boiled potatoes and a green vegetable.
Heather

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
You have to take out a small loan to afford halibut around here. One restaurant wants $24.95 for fish and chips!

The local fish monger wants 20 bux a pound!

And this is in the PNW

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
NYCgrrl wrote:
Glad you found one you liked:).

I can't wait to try the recipes that are posted here.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you found one you liked:).

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for sharing your fish recipes. I tried this recipe last night on Calico Bass and it was absolutely delicious.
Secret Fried Halibut Recipe

Secret Fried Halibut Recipe

About This Recipe
"This is by far the BEST fried halibut I have EVER had! (That really says a lot being from Alaska you know hehe). Simple and delicious with a "secret" ingredient that will knock your socks off! Even my kids like it and they do not like fish at all. I find the perfect meal with this fish is "sticky rice" and creamed corn, but you decide for yourself!"

Ingredients
1 medium halibut fillet ( approx 3 lbs)
2 cups white flour
1 tablespoon seasoning salt (I used Jane's Krazy Mixed-Up Seasonings Salt)
1 teaspoon ground pepper
1 pinch onion powder
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon yellow mustard ( or to taste)
6 tablespoons vegetable oil ( amount will vary)

Directions
Cut halibut into portion size pieces (this will vary with every family); set aside.
In gallon ziplock bag combine all dry ingredients; seal bag and shake to mix. Add halibut pieces to dry ingredients and shake thoroughly again.
In small bowl combine mayonnaise and mustard; mix thoroughly (secret ingredient!).
Add some oil to skillet over med heat until oil begins to ripple. You will need to add more oil in small amounts at a time throughout cooking.

Add halibut a few pieces at a time to skillet until full. DO NOT OVERLAP FISH. Cook until just beginning to brown on bottom side and flip. Once turned, lightly baste browned side of fish with mayonnaise mixture. Turn fish once more and repeat basting. The key to this step is to re brown basted sides of fish before removing from pan. The pieces should turn a deep brown (not black but close). That is when you know they are done.
Serve while still hot. (May be kept in warm oven until all fish is done).

Shortie1915
Explorer
Explorer
HEAVENLY HALIBUT

1 Fresh Halibut, cut in 1โ€ cubes
To your favorite Tempura batter, add beer instead of water and dip each cube to coat completely. Fry until done.

Tastes like candy!

gswcgi
Explorer
Explorer
I take a 1" Halibut filet and brush it with Olive Oil, both sides, then take thinly sliced potatoes and line both side of the fish ans salt & pepper and lightly saute each side. Very yummy.
'03 Safari, DP, 36" Nissan 4X4 toad

Army11Bravo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I love halibut, especially Parmesean encrusted halibut. It melts in your mouth.

Here is one recipe...
Parmesan Encrusted Halibut
Army 11 Bravo - Gulf War Veteran
Wife, Two Teen Boys, Hound Dog (Daisy) & Beagles (Lily & Bailey)
2014 Springdale 267SRTWE Bunkhouse Travel Trailer
2009 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4x4

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Good fish taco fare.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk