cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help! First DO Main Dish

Wavesprite
Explorer
Explorer
I really really want to learn to cook in my dutch oven. I've made the "dump cake" cobbler a few times and that seemed easy enough, but can someone suggest a main dish or two for a first time attempt???
15 REPLIES 15

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wavesprite wrote:
The garlic chicken sounds amazing too!!! OMG Yum!

The garlic chicken is easy enough that I would make that your next d.o. effort. :c
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Chili - cooked in an enamled dutch oven on a stove and have done it in a Lodge dutch oven hanging from a tripod over a fire while camping. Works the same way no matter what.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Wavesprite
Explorer
Explorer
The garlic chicken sounds amazing too!!! OMG Yum!

dpark
Explorer
Explorer
My favorite recipe that I make in my DO is 40 clove chicken. It is really simple to make and only requires a few ingredients. I buy a whole chicken and separate into parts.
Heat the coals and place dutch oven on to brown chicken.
After chicken is browned, place 40 +/- cloves of garlic over the chicken
Sprinkle top with parsley flakes and salt/pepper to taste.
Place lid on DO and using chart cook at 350 until done.
This smells great when cooking and always has neighbors or passers by commenting on the good smell. The garlic roasts and is great spread on crusty bread to make roasted garlic butter bread. This is foolproof and really turns out great.
2017 Chevy 3500HD LTZ+, Z-71, Nav, Duramax/Allison
2018 Coachmen Chaparral 360IBL
Honda EU2000is
Honda EU2000i Companion

Wavesprite
Explorer
Explorer
Oh yum, the pizza casserole looks amazing!!! Thanks everyone!

xzyHollyxyz
Explorer
Explorer
This is one of my favorites. I believe I found it on this Forum several years ago.

DUTCH OVEN PIZZA CASSEROLE

2 pound(s) Sweet Italian Sausage links, casings removed.
2 can(s) (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
1/2 teaspoon(s) oregano
1 tablespoon(s) garlic, minced.
1 cup(s) Onion, chopped.
1/2 Green Bell Pepper, chopped.
2 cup(s) Mozzarella Cheese, shredded.
1 can (10 count) Biscuits
Parmesan Cheese, to taste.

Biscuits are flattened to make a thin pizza like crust. This can be made in a 13x9 pan if you don't have a Dutch oven.

In Dutch oven brown sausage, onions, garlic and green peppers until pork is no longer pink and onions and green peppers are tender. Drain off any excess fat. Add both cans of tomato sauce to sausage. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon Oregano. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over top.

Remove biscuits from can and flatten with the palm of your hand. Arrange flatten biscuits on top of the cheese. Sprinkle biscuits with Parmesan cheese to taste and then a little oregano to taste.

Bake at 375 degrees (10 briquettes on bottom and 18 on top) for about 15 to 20 minutes or until biscuits are firm and a light golden color.

Serves 4 to 5
2015 Fun Finder 189FDS
2013 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab SV 4x4

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Merrykalia wrote:
I saw this on pinterest today and thought I would share. I haven't tried any of the recipes, but some looked very interesting.

18 DO recipes

The curry, lamb ragu and tomato bacon look interesting. Thanks!
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins

Magnus

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
I saw this on pinterest today and thought I would share. I haven't tried any of the recipes, but some looked very interesting.

18 DO recipes
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

TomB_
Explorer
Explorer
I get most of my recipes from watching "Campfire Cafรฉ" on RFDTV. Channel 345 on Direct TV... :B

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wavesprite wrote:
Thanks for your replies!!!!! I can't wait to go camping next week to try a few!

You could also practice at home in a fire pit or fireplace :w

Magnus

Wavesprite
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your replies!!!!! I can't wait to go camping next week to try a few!

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wavesprite wrote:
I really really want to learn to cook in my dutch oven. I've made the "dump cake" cobbler a few times and that seemed easy enough, but can someone suggest a main dish or two for a first time attempt???

Welcome and congratulations on your first recipes. Soon you can claim the title of cast iron chef. :c

The suggestions given are excellent. You can also do a simple pot roast. Be sure to keep the d.o. 1/3 full of broth or hot water to prevent scorching. Let it simmer about 2 hours (longer if using 4 pound or heavier chuck roast).

Here's a link to the Southern California Chapter of the International Dutch Oven Society. It will list dutch oven gatherings and events where the experienced help the newcomers.
http://socaldos.org/

Magnus

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
Our favorite is easy and quick. CAJUN CHICKEN STEW

Heat briquettes or prepare fire. While they are preparing, prepare ingredients.

1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into bite-size cubes
1 lb andouille sausage, cut into 1/4" slices, again bite-size
4 potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 stalks celery, sliced
3 carrots, sliced
1 large onion, chopped
1 lb mushrooms, sliced (optional)
1 can chicken broth
FOR LATER
1 can cream of chicken soup
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 small container of sour cream

Oil DO and add chicken and sausage. Cook over fire for approximately 5 minutes then add all veggies except potatoes. Continue cooking another 5 minutes, then add potatoes and can of broth.

Cover and continue cooking on fire or briquettes for 30 minutes or until potatoes and chicken are done through.

Add cream of chicken soup and 1 cup of cheddar cheese, stir well and heat until warm.

Serve with cheddar cheese and sour cream for garnish.

(You can also add some cajun seasoning, to taste.)
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

JnJnKatiebug
Explorer
Explorer
This is our favorite. If you have a 12 inch DO, line with foil in two directions with plenty of length to seal on top. Cover the bottom of the DO with sliced onions, put two small Cornish hens (baste them with butter first and make sure they are completely thawed) in the middle. Around the sides, add small red potatoes, 4 half ears of corn on the cob and carrots. Season with lots of Rosemary, season salt and black pepper. Pour in one can of tomatoes and one can of beer. Fold the foil over and seal the top. Put the lid on (you may have to mash it down) and cook with 10 charcoals on the bottom and 20 on the top for about an hour and a half. Then put the same amount of fresh charcoal and cook for another hour or so. It is great.
2016 Chevy Tahoe
2017 Flagstaff 26FKWS
(Picture in profile)

"The best things in life are the people you love, the places you've seen,
and the memories you've made along the way".