cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to take milk?

tomkaren13
Explorer
Explorer
We are wondering how without stopping often, how do you keep milk for cereal? Use Creamora powder for coffee but don't know about cereal. Ideas?
38 REPLIES 38

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
Grandma used to take hers with a shot of scotch...oh, not what you were talking about.....nevermind
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)

ventrman
Explorer
Explorer
darsben wrote:
Go to Dollar Tree. For $1.00 a quart the have shelf stable milk. I just bought some yesterday that does not expire until April 2015. Prechill a quart before using. I always carry 10 - 12 quarts on trips. It is perfect to give to the less fortunate that we all see and some of us help while on the road. Enough for a day for them and if you have some cereal they have breakfast and a nourishing drink. When we have given it to people we help it usually lasts about an hour as it is a real treat for them and it is nourishing as well.

Groceries sell the same thing for about $2.50 a quart

Thanks for the Post about Dollar Tree carrying it. I just bought some yesterday in Nags Head, NC.
God Bless!

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
Get pasteurized milk that sits on the grocery shelf. Comes in a box and then you refrigerate it when you want to drink it. It actually tastes as good as milk in a carton. We use it in Mexico all the time.

tomkaren13
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all info. We are not taking the TT.

Cruzette
Explorer
Explorer
I am not sure I am understanding your question. As another poster stated, your signature reflects that you own a 5th wheel, so you must have an RV refrigerator. You should be able to keep milk at least a week, maybe even two weeks. Isn't that long enough?

Make sure your RV refrigerator is cold before putting any food in it. We plug our frig in and I fill up our ice cube trays with water. Once we have solid ice cubes I know the frig is cold enough (usually over night).

When you buy milk, check the sell by date. It should be out at least 4 or 5 days. It will keep if refrigerated 7-10 days past the sell by date. Check this site out for more info:
How long can you keep milk
It doesn't matter where you go in life.........it's who you have beside you :B

Judy and DH Ray
Boomer & Petie Pie
2004 Country Coach 40' Inspire "Da Vinci"

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
tomkaren13 wrote:
Thanks for all the suggestions. We no longer have the 5er. Didn't want to admit it but we are going without the camper. We bad!

Yeah but you are going out anyway which makes it all good:).

tomkaren13
Explorer
Explorer
dcason wrote:
almond milk, coconut milk

Allergic to both

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
almond milk, coconut milk

ventrman
Explorer
Explorer
swtgran wrote:
We go to Dollar tree, like darsben. We get the qt. boxes. In fact, when they have it in stock, I try to buy a case. I think the name is Gossner milk. Chill a qt. at a time. Good, looong after the use by date, if kept out of the extreme heat. terry r.

I second Shelf Stable Milk. It is Pasteurized at a higher Temperature to make it Shelf stable.
It is also referred to as Ultra Pasteurized Milk.
It has been in Europe for more than 40 Years. When I went to Germany in 1974, all of the Milk in the Grocery Store was like that.
I was wondering how they kept it from going bad. Now I know. It is sold in some Places under the Name Parmalat. I have bought it at Walmart before. The Dollar Tree may be a good Choice. It does not have to be refrigerated until after it is opened.
God Bless!

dcb17b
Explorer II
Explorer II
When we tent camped we bought it in a plastic 1/2 gal. The carton does not get soggy in the cooler and it is resealable. You can reuse the jug to make ice blocks and drink the water when they melt.Hey,I'm starting to sound like a tree hugger. Nah, I'm just cheap.
2022 F-150 STX 2,7 Ecoboost
2016 Jayco 23 BHM

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
I take my milk with oreos mostly.
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
nomad297, Yup the Yeti IS the answer!! Love ours!
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

SSki
Explorer
Explorer
Organic Valley and Horizon both make self stable milk available in individual servings. I've used both when we were on a boat and they worked well. I've seen them at Costco, Sam's, and Walmart. Here is a link to what I am talking about. http://www.organicvalley.coop/products/milk/shelf-stable-milks/

You could also try an alternative, like almond or soy milk. Many of them come in cartons that are self stable.

Good luck

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
As Rice pointed out: NIDO brand of powdered milk. If your grocery doesn'tcarry it, go to an ethnic grocery, like Mexican or African.

This is how most all the world that doesn't have reliable electric power, such as Africa and parts of Central/South America, gets their milk. It's whole, not skim milk.

It runs $4.99 at my local Walmart. I keep some around for coffee when I return home from traveling and haven't gone to the grocery yet.