Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Legend Cast Iron Multi Cooker Skillet Set

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
Cast Iron Skillet Set

I have been looking at this for awhile now and wondering if any one has had any experience with either this or Legend brand itself. All my cast iron has been Lodge after I had an off brand crack in half once. We have a small Class B and storage is at a premium and this just looks good for cooking for two. We mostly boondock and while we do have a stove in the RV, we often cook outside on a camp stove or on a grill.
15 REPLIES 15

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
I got most of my CI at one of the better known places where individuals can post items for sale.

My favorites are Wagner or Wagner Ware. Wagner Ware started in 1890, so my Wagner frying pan 10" with 10" lid are quite old. Prices in those days were quite affordable. I have a strong collection of CI now, so I'm not looking any more.

I know my 10" CI Dutch oven is from Camp Chef.

& I have bought through Cabelas, the camping supplier, too.

:B
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
BarabooBob wrote:
At 0ne time I had a matched set of Griswold CI from 6 inch to 15 inch, each with a lid, that belonged to my great grandmother. It was all in great shape. My ex-wife hated CI and she sold it at a garage sale for $25 while I was at work. There were not so nice words exchanged when I found out.
Now to the current era. I have replaced my cast iron. Most of it is either Griswold or Wagner. I pick it up for 3 or 4 dollars in bad shape and clean it up.
The best way to clean up dirty CI is to get a good fire going in my Weber grill and place the CI directly on the coals. Let the fire go out and wipe out all of the ashes. I then melt a big block of lard in the pan and cook up some frycakes (doughnuts.) I let everything cool off and repeat the process several times. Besides some great frycakes, I end up with a perfectly seasoned pan.

I think I see why she's your Ex-Wife
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
magnusfide wrote:
Big Katuna wrote:
I don’t give a whit for modern cast iron. I watch for old cast iron. The older the better.

They are denser, smoother and cure really well. I must have 20 pieces including Dutch ovens with and without feet, all sizes of frying pans, griddles etc. Still looking for a Griswold waffle iron without paying an arm and a leg.

It could be cleaned up but this is the cheapest I've found in a Griswold waffle
link

You are right about that. I bought my 12" fry pan at a swap meet for $3 years ago, and the couple of 10" that I have were also bought second hand. That was when no one wanted cast iron any longer because the stick-free folks convinced everyone that their stuff was better. The one pan that cracked in half was the only one I purchased new.

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
At 0ne time I had a matched set of Griswold CI from 6 inch to 15 inch, each with a lid, that belonged to my great grandmother. It was all in great shape. My ex-wife hated CI and she sold it at a garage sale for $25 while I was at work. There were not so nice words exchanged when I found out.
Now to the current era. I have replaced my cast iron. Most of it is either Griswold or Wagner. I pick it up for 3 or 4 dollars in bad shape and clean it up.
The best way to clean up dirty CI is to get a good fire going in my Weber grill and place the CI directly on the coals. Let the fire go out and wipe out all of the ashes. I then melt a big block of lard in the pan and cook up some frycakes (doughnuts.) I let everything cool off and repeat the process several times. Besides some great frycakes, I end up with a perfectly seasoned pan.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
I tend to stick with Cast Iron and most of our stuff is Lodge. But not all. And pretty much seems to me they all work great. I keep a pretty tight grip on the seasoning and try not to let anyone else wash them. I have a goofy Martha Stewart 10" skillet that has a real nice handle and it's one of our staples. It is lighter than a Lodge. I would actually like to look into the carbon steel cookware as it could be a little lighter. But if the choice was between the Legend and the Lodge for a buck? Going with the Lodge. Also, I got a cast iron griddle that covers two burners in my trailer. Came from the "Pioneer Woman" store in Oklahoma. That thing is like a magnet for sticking food. No matter how much oil I used. I buffed it down with small grinder and coarse flap wheel. Re-seasoned it and now I chase an egg all over it. No more sticking.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Roy&Lynne wrote:
magnusfide wrote:
95 cents more you can get an identical combo cooker from Lodge.
Lodge Combo Cooker

Hum, how did I miss that. For some reason its reviews aren't as good as the Legend. Wonder why.

Look at the number of reviews for each. Low number of reviews may mean paid reviewers. I'd go with the Lodge.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Big Katuna wrote:
I don’t give a whit for modern cast iron. I watch for old cast iron. The older the better.

They are denser, smoother and cure really well. I must have 20 pieces including Dutch ovens with and without feet, all sizes of frying pans, griddles etc. Still looking for a Griswold waffle iron without paying an arm and a leg.

It could be cleaned up but this is the cheapest I've found in a Griswold waffle
link
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins

Magnus

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II

My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
magnusfide wrote:
Lodge Combo Cooker

Hum, how did I miss that. For some reason its reviews aren't as good as the Legend. Wonder why.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
magnusfide wrote:
Lodge Combo Cooker

That looks like a set I bought, except my set came with a 3rd piece, a normal depth skillet that the lid would also fit. The link does not show size, but mine is 12 inches. At home, I keep a 12 inch CI skillet in the cabinet, but because I'm mostly cooking for 2, the 10 inch lives on the stove.
All the issues no legs/no rim I pointed out first reply still apply to Lodge.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
No experience with the brand. But somehow just the pictures make it look cheap and the sales pitch (description) is even worse. 1,000 plus years of proven performance? The pan the myth the legend-famous for lifelong durability. For being a 1,000 year old company it curiously doesn't even make it to the Wikipedia list of cast iron manufacturers.
Wikipedia link

It might be a perfectly good set, but it just seems like a factory somewhere trying to manufacture cheap cookware and push it on the unsuspecting public.

If I was buying I'd spend the extra dollar and get the Loge set that Magnusfide linked.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Be careful of Chinese iron. It can break, especially rattling around in your RV.
I like a Dutch Oven with 3 legs and a rim around the lid for cooking outside. It works for everything. You can cook on the lid. I have a pile of Lodge DOs and they never let me down. One is from my great uncle from the 1930s.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lodge Combo Cooker

Magnus

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have no experience with that brand. The size of the skillets is about right for two. And it would work fine for baking in a oven. But as a camp oven? Not what I would want if I was limited to one. To bake, you need coals on top of the oven. Yes it is easy to put coals on top, but without the rim on the lid it is hard to take the lid off without seasoning the food with ash. If you get it I suggest some short pieces off black steel pipe to lay in the coals to keep pan from smothering the coals. And at least one light lid that will fit both.
If I was going to pick CI for 2 that would take about the same space, I would use a 10 inch camp oven, a skillet same diameter that the rimmed lid would fit, and a domed lid to fit both.
BTW, when I was very young my great grandmother always had a lid larger than the skillets she used hanging next to stove. My mother somehow set the grease in a skillet on fire. (Fireman will tell you this can burn the house if not handled right. In a RV???) Grandma just grabbed the lid. It was bigger than skillet, but she just shoved the fire back into the pan, and covered it with lid, and shut off burner. Cleanup? Dip some of the grease off, and finish cooking.