cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Blackstone Owner - Do I still need my grill?

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
We started with a charcoal BBQ then went to a Coleman Road Trip with the interchangeable full size griddle. Love the Road Trip but the griddle makes a mess. Cooking just a 1/2 lb of bacon sends so much grease into the burner pan it's awful to clean. The directions say to fill the burner pan with water so the grease floats off, and while that sounds good on paper, it never quite works that way.

So we pulled the trigger on a 22" dual-burner Blackstone. Looks like the grease will be much more manageable with the grease cup. Is there anything you can't cook on a Blackstone griddle? is there any reason I still need to bring the Road Trip along?

We love a good steak and some BBQ chicken, but thinking back our camping menu evolved around the charcoal grill....seems like we have a lot more options with the flat top. Give me some opinions and good recipes!
17 REPLIES 17

hondapro
Explorer
Explorer
Bull Rider wrote:
Question: I'm thinking of getting the 22" Blackstone for home and RVing. We have the small Weber gas Q series.

How hot does the BS get underneath? Can it be used on a truck tailgate without damage to the tailgate?

Thanks in advance!

We have the 22 inch blackstone with the lid and stand The blackstone has rubber feet on the bottom and are designed to be used sitting on a table. Mine does not get hot on the bottom.

The griddle and the stand are great, I suggest you look at getting the stand also.

We use our blackstone for everything and I sold my coleman grill.
Steve
2023 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
2022 Keystone Sprinter 32BH
B&W Companion

pbeverly
Explorer III
Explorer III
hondapro wrote:
I was in the same position I have a roadtrip grill and got a 22 inch Blackstone. I carried both last camping season and I never got the grill out one time. We always used the Blackstone. I sold the grill in the fall.

Exact same here. BS easier to clean than Coleman.
Ridgeway, SC
2019 26DBH Grey Wolf

Bull_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
Question: I'm thinking of getting the 22" Blackstone for home and RVing. We have the small Weber gas Q series.

How hot does the BS get underneath? Can it be used on a truck tailgate without damage to the tailgate?

Thanks in advance!
If you receive help from other members, don't forget to update your topic with the results.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you want to do steak, let it get rocket hot. A little butter, salt & pepper and then put the steak on. Don't crowd it. As others have said, if you have some obsession with grill marks, they can be faked.

I have heard the smaller 17" single burner doesn't get as hot. Haven't had that problem with the larger 22" twin burner.

Also if it's windy or cold, you may need a wind break so the heat isn't blown away.

Having a lid you can place over food is handy. I just use the lid from our electric skillet. Did bone in leg quarters the other night and it's handy to speed up the cooking process as it acts as a mini oven, then pull it off to sear the outside as it nears fully cooked.

Is it exactly the same as a grill...no but it does a pretty good job.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

hondapro
Explorer
Explorer
I was in the same position I have a roadtrip grill and got a 22 inch Blackstone. I carried both last camping season and I never got the grill out one time. We always used the Blackstone. I sold the grill in the fall.
Steve
2023 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
2022 Keystone Sprinter 32BH
B&W Companion

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have room so we take both griddle and weber, both have their pros and cons. For us griddle is better for breakfast/lunch although we usually go out for local cuisine, our Weber is more suited to the type of dinners we enjoy when RVing.
Without a doubt there are times that we may use one, or the other, and sometimes neither, in any event I want to have choices, as such they remain stalwarts of our favorite pastime.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
I also put an old grill grate on the flat grill and it works pretty good if you want those 'grill marks' on your steak or chicken..

I've also just placed them directly on the flat grill and it gets a good sear on each side too.

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Mmwtdh
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:
we normally take both our 17 Blackstone and our weber 2200... we just like having the option..

but to answer the question.... the Blackstone can be the only mode of cooking with no problem......

I have the same set up and agree.... I use both equally but if I only had
one it would be my BS.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a two burner griddle. I really like it, but I need more practice (or something) doing steaks. They don't seem to come out as well as on the BBQ. How do some of you cook them on the griddle.

I go out moose hunting for a good three weeks. With the griddle, I've quit taking the camp stove. I'd like to quit taking the BBQ also to save more room.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I bring a grate and cook over wood, rather than bring more gear, I'm usually limited on space. Carrying a bag of charcoal wouldn't be the end of the world however.
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use my Blackstone for just about everything.

I say just about, because I can't imagine barbecued Chicken on it. Can't envision the nice charred BBQ sauce coming out the same on the flat top.

I have cooked burgers, steaks, philly cheese steak, hibachi steak, chicken, shrimp and fried rice, breakfast. I still find a use for my grill. This past trip I used both.

Each have their use.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
I bring both, the blackstone can cook a steak, but you dont get the char. If im only out for a shot trip, I only set one up. A week trip gets the grill, blackstone and white gas stove set up outside. All have there uses, some cook stuff better then others.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
When I want grill marks I lay an old grate from my Weber on the cast iron Blackstone griddle. Takes a little longer to heat up but your eyes will tell you it was bbq"d. No one has complained yet.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

we normally take both our 17 Blackstone and our weber 2200... we just like having the option..

but to answer the question.... the Blackstone can be the only mode of cooking with no problem......
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet