cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Smoker/Grill

SSki
Explorer
Explorer
Have been wanting a smoker/grill and decided on a Traeger Pellet grill. Was lucky and found one used but had only been fired up one time. Really like the way this cooks, did some ribs and baked beans the other night, but today was BBQ Chicken Pizza.

24 REPLIES 24

Cori
Explorer
Explorer
Love my Traeger. I have the Big Tex model for the home, and the PTG for the RV.
Cori and Steve in a 32' Airex with Courtney-7 and Dylan 4

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Breakfast Fattie reminds me Scotch Eggs!
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

SSki
Explorer
Explorer
That cheese looks great. I am using a Traeger Lil' Tex Elite. I really like it. I made the pastrami using a beef brisket, soaking it in a brine using Morten's Tender Quick and various spices. Not hard, just took a few days to cure.

bigcitypopo
Explorer
Explorer
Love my traeger so much, I bought a junior, moded it for the new t-stat controller... And it goes camping with us... Best BBQ ever... I still have a weber Q grill for the quick stuff.
2014 RAM 2500 BigHorn CrewCab 4x2 ShortBox, 6.7L CTD
2014 Keystone Springdale 294bhssrwe - Hensley Arrow!
The best wife, 2 kids and a bunch of fun

przao
Explorer
Explorer
SSki wrote:

I really like that. Is it a mini or the new mini max? I think this maybe on my X'mas wish list. I have been busy getting ready for our next trip. We are leaving very soon so I have been pre-making a lot of food on the smoker. Thought I would post some pics, maybe they will give you some ideas.

It is one of the older minis. The only drawback is that it is really suited for two, maybe four people unless you're cooking something fast like shrimp! 😄

I really like what you cooked - I've not done a fatty, but we love to make pastrami using store bought corned beef and smoking it on a Traeger. Your pork loin looks great as well!

What smoker(s) do you use?

Here's a couple of flavor treats that has the friends and neighbors running to our rig, but because of the size of the smoker, we make it at home:

Smoked cheese

Smoked steelhead

We love to cook 🙂
PZ

SSki
Explorer
Explorer
przao wrote:
We purchased a Green Egg - Mini just to keep in the RV. While it cooks great, the ceramic nature keeps the heat in for a long time before it is cool enough to store.

It is fantastic for grilled pizza - here is an image where we used the mini with a cheap pizza stone from Amazon

I really like that. Is it a mini or the new mini max? I think this maybe on my X'mas wish list. I have been busy getting ready for our next trip. We are leaving very soon so I have been pre-making a lot of food on the smoker. Thought I would post some pics, maybe they will give you some ideas.

Homemade Pastrami

Breakfast Fattie (sausage stuffed with scrambled eggs, peppers, onions, and cheese

Stuffed Pork Loin

Homemade Canadian Bacon

przao
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a Green Egg - Mini just to keep in the RV. While it cooks great, the ceramic nature keeps the heat in for a long time before it is cool enough to store.

It is fantastic for grilled pizza - here is an image where we used the mini with a cheap pizza stone from Amazon

PZ

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Super_Dave wrote:
Pizza on the BGE just cannot be beat.

I got turned onto the pizza oven adapter ring for a Weber Kettle that is on my birthday wish list.

Do you mean this one?
http://www.kettlepizza.com/Default.asp
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Pizza on the BGE just cannot be beat.

I got turned onto the pizza oven adapter ring for a Weber Kettle that is on my birthday wish list.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Big Green Egg is a great way to go. So is the WSM which I use.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

kingbrutis
Explorer
Explorer
I have a really old JR Treager. Works great. I am partial to my Big Green Egg though. Debating on weather to sell the BGE or take it on the long trip. Think the trip is going to win out. Pizza on the BGE just cannot be beat. Well, unless you have a Grimaldi's near your campground.

GrumpyGator
Explorer
Explorer
rustycopperballs wrote:
Treagers are good but made in china, if your looking to go pellet, look at http://www.yodersmokers.com/about-us.html, American made and well built,

Order from Yoders if you want to become a pellet grill mechanic. I bought a Yoder Grill and they sent me multiple updates which were only appliable via a hardware device they sent around to buyers. If you want to be a Yoder repairman, be sure to purchase a Yoder Grill.

I had one. I ended up giving it away for free to get rid of it. The grill was build like a tank. Awesome build. Only problem is that it wouldn't hold any temp whatsoever.
2015 Keystone Passport Elite 23RB

GrumpyGator
Explorer
Explorer
KA4EBU wrote:
True no propane tank to fill. But there are pellets that are needed. I think it is a great way of cooking, but source of fuel is definitely not the reason. You can buy propane 24/7, charcoal 24/7 anywhere. Pellets are a limited source item.

No problem finding pellets. If you have a pellet grill you just order ahead of time. Easy Peasee.

Here's the best source for pellets:

BBQr's Delight

Be sure to ask for Candy Sue.
2015 Keystone Passport Elite 23RB

rustycopperball
Explorer
Explorer
Treagers are good but made in china, if your looking to go pellet, look at http://www.yodersmokers.com/about-us.html, American made and well built,