cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reloading on Camp cooking gear

OleManOleCan
Explorer
Explorer
I've camped on and off for years. I love to cook, so I have taken a lot of cooking gear over the years.

After a two year hiatus, I bought and fixed up a 20 foot Fleetwood Prowler. I got to camp in it a few times then messed up my knee.
2019 I cooked on a 17" Blackstone Griddle outside under my cook tent.

Previously I cooked on another 17" Blackstone griddle, and a Campchef Explorer stove. I was happy with that set up, so I unboxed another CampChef last week.
I can count on both hands the number of meals I have cooked inside my trailers in the last 10-15 years, so I still plan to cook outside as before.
I'm going to make some short legs for the stove to use on tables, I'm 6'3" so the legs that come with it are short for me. I'm doing this ASAP... because I'm set for a knee replacement in March. I plan to camp a couple of days before I park my camper for a couple of months.
Alabama Summer can be dreadfully hot and muggy, so I'm gonna rehab and lay back till I feel Fall in the air. Then we are off to the mountains again.

Anybody ever cut off the factory legs to make a taller table model?
7 REPLIES 7

OleManOleCan
Explorer
Explorer
OleManOleCan wrote:
Super_Dave wrote:
Without ruining the factory legs, measure the diameter and compare to EMT conduit.

Very inexpensive to buy and cut to your desired length.

Conduit's was wrong diameters.
I can order replacement legs from the factory if I ever need them.

I've since cut the legs to my desired height. Works great.
Acid test (2) I've cooked two meals with about an hour on both burners. Table didn't even get warm.
My success is that my back didn't ache either time.

OleManOleCan
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
Without ruining the factory legs, measure the diameter and compare to EMT conduit.

Conduit's was wrong diameters.
I can order replacement legs from the factory if I ever need them.

OleManOleCan
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
Two things:
1) the version of that stove I looked at on the internet has a coupler that the leg screw into. I it has what appears to be 6" legs without the extensions.

2) The problem you will have with a tabletop version with this stove is heat so close to a top. I put my grill on a tabletop with a couple of layers of cheap ceramic tiles under the grill to protect the surface of the table I am cooking on. You will definitely need some kind of heat shield.

P.S. I'm an old hardware store guy. lol

I bought a Camp Chef YUKON.
I went ahead and used a pipe cutter to shorten the legs to make it a table top model. (It's much more stable than the factory legs)
I put the inserts from the bottom of the legs into the shortened model. The cooking surface of the Yukon now sits 12" above the table. I'll be able to transport it w/o taking the legs off.
The shortened legs are more stable than the factory legs.
For me this was a win, win. I'm 6'3" and the factory legs were just too short to use as a stand alone. I finished the stove so there was no bending or stooping while I cook.

Previously I built a 6" platform for another Camp Chef, but I never loved carrying around a stove platform. I have carried an extra table camping for years, my solution is to put an extra table at one end of a campground table in a 'T' configuration, and cook on it...

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Super_Dave wrote:

That's why we appreciate you , Super Dave.:C
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer

Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Two things:
1) the version of that stove I looked at on the internet has a coupler that the leg screw into. I it has what appears to be 6" legs without the extensions.

2) The problem you will have with a tabletop version with this stove is heat so close to a top. I put my grill on a tabletop with a couple of layers of cheap ceramic tiles under the grill to protect the surface of the table I am cooking on. You will definitely need some kind of heat shield.

Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Best wishes for a successful surgery.

'No' to the factory legs question. Maybe you can get something at the hardware store pipe section that will let you keep the factory legs intact? It's worthwhile to ask. Some of those old hardware store guys are pretty ingenious.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus