cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

771 Again for DirecTV

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
This time it is the stick house. Simple installation, SWM 3 antenna 30' from receiver with no splitters. System has worked perfect for a year+ and all of a sudden, get the 771 error (can't "see" the antenna).

• Swapped out all coax
  • swapped LNB's
  • getting 21V at the LNB
  • swapped receivers HR21 and HR24

I'm stumped. What am I missing?
Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X
14 REPLIES 14

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I believe you are now getting a clear picture. Knowing if or if not you are getting a signal on only 1 transponder is just slightly better than useless when you are seeing these kinds of issues.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, so you want him to check all transponders.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Right, you don't want the signal meters screen. You want the signal strength screen. Older receivers do not have this option.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
If so, get to the signal strength (not signal meter) and see what the receiver is seeing on all satellites..
On mine the horizontal signal bars are called 'Signal meters'.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
BTW, 771 is a loss of signal and not the receiver "not seeing the antenna". This usually happens when the dish is blocked, loses the orientation or is lost due to bad weather. Chuck

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all. Going to have to wait a month to hear the outcome of this saga. We're hitting the road today and won't be here to troubleshoot this until late June. Appreciate the ideas and will report back.
Hickory, NC

TANDDANDBIGE
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure you have the receiver set to a viable channel. I learned this when I tried it at home and it worked perfectly.... on our local channels. got 500 or so miles away and fired it up and.... 771. Rec was still tuned to a local Seattle station so no signal. changed to s national station in the 200's and happiness was had. TB
2002 HR ENDEAVOR 40'
2007 FORD EDGE TOAD

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
Often a brief power interruption will corrupt the setup in the receiver. Have you gone through the satellite set up from the beginning at the receiver? Chuck

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Belgique wrote:
Thanks Bill. Ill run these down asap. The dish has not moved. Ill report back.

Maybe it has not. On the other hand, it certainly could have. It also could have been damaged/bent/dinged. Or, it's something else.

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Bill. Ill run these down asap. The dish has not moved. Ill report back.
Hickory, NC

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
No, the dish not pointed properly will cause that problem as will a bad LNB. Can you get to the Repeat Satellite Setup (Satellite) on the menu? If so, get to the signal strength (not signal meter) and see what the receiver is seeing on all satellites. Have you tried changing the settings to allow SD version of the HD channels? This comes from the 101 satellite and may help with diagnostics.

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Donn but that's not the issue with a 771 error. Receiver isn't seeing the LNB so it doesn't know if the dish is aimed or not. That's my understanding.
Hickory, NC

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Dish has moved? Trees grew up and blocking the signal? Probably time to hite the bullet and hire someone to come out and troibleshoot it for you. Without an AIM meter your only throwing rocks at the issue.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Defective dish or LNBs. Is the HR24 set for SWM and coax in connector 1? Is the HR21 SWM capable?
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob