Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aaaannd the stereo is now dead too....

kamperdog
Explorer
Explorer
The saga continues....

The stereo won't fire up at all. I checked the connections, the little in line fuse, and the main panel. Nothing. Just dead. It didn't seem like the best quality stereo, but still yet another disappointment. At this point I don't even know if I should replace it. I'm thinking of finding a way to simply make it so I can hookup the rigs speakers to whatever - ipad, pc, DVD player, you get the idea. But the speakers look like they need to be "driven" and there are two sets - indoor and outdoor - so I'll need some kind of switch for that.

Anyone have this happen? Throw out your ideas....
2009 Kodiak 195. Absolute JUNK.
11 REPLIES 11

kamperdog
Explorer
Explorer
Of course. Nothing can be simple.

Milkman670
Explorer
Explorer
You will need some kind of amplifier to drive the speakers. I got a small 25w/channel with a audio input jack for phone or mp3 player to run the speakers in my sidexside.

kamperdog
Explorer
Explorer
Well it certainly has power going to it because I see the familiar little blue flash when connecting the molex connectors. I think its safe to say the stereo is dead. Its been having intermittent working/not working issues for awhile and its gotta be the cheapest of stereos so no biggie.

So I'll stick with my original idea... Finding a 2 position switch for the inside/outside speakers with a standard audio plug off the end to hook to whatever. I just need to know if they need some kind of additional powered driver. I only see 2 wires going to each speaker so I'm wondering if it will be ok going direct of a device.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ok I will assume you have two power wires, One may be gray if I recall correctly the other red. the 3.5 amp is the gray lead (or some other color)

The RED lead is power. It likely gets fed by a fuse on the fuse block somewhere,

True story: I live in a motor home, the house radio worked fine but the dash kept cuting out.. they use the same speakers,,, Well I traced it to a bad connections somewhere near a high power (150 watt) Stereo amp down by the parking brake pedal on the left kick panel... Turns out there is a relay box there (I could hear it click when I turned the ignition key) it has two multi-pin MOLEX locking connectors.. One (house) was locked, one (Dash) was not.. I pressed, heard first a CLICK, and then Peter Paul and Mary playing (That's what I had in the Dash-cd at the time).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

weasel4
Explorer
Explorer
Is power getting to the fuse connector?
BTC

kamperdog
Explorer
Explorer
Milkman670 wrote:
What brand and model

Doesn't even show a brand name....

There is no reset anywhere on it...

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
Check the front of the unit for a small (pinhole size) button marked RESET. Try that first, but after doing ours every couple of months, I just replaced ours with a Pioneer car unit from Crutchfield. Has USB and AUX inputs and remote. Much better sounding even with the old speakers.

Beverley and Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

Milkman670
Explorer
Explorer
What brand and model

Milkman670
Explorer
Explorer
What brand and model

kamperdog
Explorer
Explorer
There isn't one. There is only a little in line 3.15a fuse on the wiring harness. It's good.

Milkman670
Explorer
Explorer
Have you checked the 10amp fuse on the back of the head unit? you may have to unplug speaket harness to get to it.