cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Adding a 2nd number to a cell phone

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone added a 2nd number to their cell phone?
I came across this from Sideline-Free # and was wondering if it works.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog
14 REPLIES 14

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
J-mans Dad wrote:
You can try Google Voice and forward a spoofed number to your current phone

That's what I do. It works great and it's free.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
I have numbers with Verizon, Phone Power, and Google Voice that I answer on one cell phone. My wife has her own Google Voice number that forwards to her Verizon numbered cell phone. Sometimes we have all five numbers going to one phone or the other.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:

Is Google giving out free numbers again? I thought they had stopped that. Tried to sign a friend up a few months ago and couldn't find where to get the free number.

I signed up for GV as a beta tester, maybe 8 years ago? I love the service.
I too signed up as a beta tester and I seem to recall I had invites to give out to people for numbers, but now I don't have the option of getting a number, so I guess it is one per Gmail account.

I just checked and you can get a number. First log onto a Gmail account and then go to https://www.google.com/voice. It will detect you do not have a voice account and take you to a setup area. On the bottom left click Get a Voice Number and then accept the terms and conditions and go from there.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
In the early days of cell phones the phone would support 2,3,4,5 numbers.. This was because people moved around and you had to pay Roaming charges, So if you were from say Detroit, and spent a bunch of time at your company's Chicago office, you could double subscribe (Detroit and Chicago) for less than you could pay roam fees.

I suspect the phones can still do it.

Plus today most all accounts have call forwarding.. With Call forwarding you can set up a number, and set it to forward to another number, and then you can have dozens of numbers all of which ring on the same phone.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies and suggestions.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
dcg9381 wrote:
J-mans Dad wrote:

It's not a spoof, it's a forward... Easy (free) way to get two numbers.

Is Google giving out free numbers again? I thought they had stopped that. Tried to sign a friend up a few months ago and couldn't find where to get the free number.

I signed up for GV as a beta tester, maybe 8 years ago? I love the service.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I need to look into some of this myself... My live alone neighbor gets his house calls and his cell phone calls through his tablet/cell phone all the time...

Thats a pretty neat thing to have if you live alone...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
As long as you have data service, any of the IP systems will work.

Skype is the most well known but there are plenty of options: For example, we have a Skype phone number. Works like any other phone number. We can call out and others can call in. Doesn't matter where we are. We've used it around the States, across Europe, the Middle East and India.

Your phone can still be used with it's number and the Skype number. If you need more numbers it can be done.

A different alternative is some phones will accept multiple sim cards each with their own cell company number. These are handy if you travel say between the USA and Europe. You get a USA and a European Sim card and just turn on the one that corresponds to your location. It's not critical as you can switch out the cards on standard phones but saves the hassle of keeping track of the tiny little cards. You could use these to run a separate personal and work phone but really more complication than just getting an IP number.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Stefonius
Explorer
Explorer
The phone's Number Assignment Module, or NAM is what contains the data relating to the phone's own number. Most phones have at least two NAMs, but usually only one has been activated. You can often put a second number into a single phone, but most sales people don't know about it and would rather sell you new equipment.
2003 F450 Crew Cab, 7.3 PSD "Truckasaurus"
2010 Coachmen North Ridge 322RLT fiver "Habitat for Insanity"
I love my tent, but the DW said, "RV or Divorce"...

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
I'm pretty sure that any of the major cell carriers can arrange a second number to ring in on your existing phone.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for google voice. I use mine for a business number that rings on my computer and on my cell. I have the google voice voicemail turned off so my cell voicemail picks up all unanswered calls.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

dcg9381
Explorer
Explorer
J-mans Dad wrote:

It's not a spoof, it's a forward... Easy (free) way to get two numbers.

J-mans_Dad
Explorer
Explorer

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
You did notice that the free version is ad supported
Traveling with my best friend my wife!