cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Antenna Spring Questions

deepdoc1
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy. I have a Wilson 4G Omni-directional outdoor antenna to mount on the roof luggage rack tubing on my motorhome. The antenna comes with a sheet metal mounting bracket that screws to the base of the antenna. My concern is driving under low hanging branches and possibly knocking it off.

I have seen spring mounts for CB and other antennas, and Wilson has a truckers antenna that has a spring, so I am wondering about adding a spring to my setup.

Firstly, I am not particularly knowledgeable about this sort of thing, so keep that in mind. The
antenna I have is 75 ohm and the coax connects directly to the antenna. If I screw a spring to the antenna coax connection, how do I then connect the cable? Is there a pass-through inside the spring?

Or do I have it all wrong in my head about how this works? Any ideas appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Jim B.
Jim, Val & Georgie

• 2006 Bigfoot 40MH32ST
  • 2008 Buick Enclave toad
4 REPLIES 4

deepdoc1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies, I think I have the idea now. I'll make up a revised bracket to use probably a light duty antenna spring, and mount it on the driver's side. When counting the height of the railing on the roof, the antenna does stick up a little higher than the a/c, so a spring will give me some extra comfort level.
Jim, Val & Georgie

• 2006 Bigfoot 40MH32ST
  • 2008 Buick Enclave toad

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
To Spring mount that antenna you will have to remove the existing mounting bracket and make another one that is flat. No bend. The new bracket needs to have 4 holes. 3 matching the 3 that attach to the Unit and you need to have the plate extend out one side a bit and drill a 3/8 inch hole (or about a 1/32nd larger) there.
Now a 3/8 Fine thread as I recall bolt goes into the large spring, and it mounts with a 3/8 Fine stud to a new mount. (Ball type) you will need to get at a CB shop.. That's for the big spring.

Small spring 3/8 becomes 1/4 as I recall.. but check the spring.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MrWizard
you would have to add a spring to the mount
not to that antenna
that is a good antenna, folded dipole no ground plain plate needed

where on the roof rack is it mounted
street/drivers side is safer than curb side

or you could get one of these
this is what i have, but i put it inside the overhead cabinet on the drivers side

it does need a steel/iron surface to stick too, has a magnetic base
the bracket from antenna is probably steel, but its too small a surface area for a proper ground plain
a vehicle roof car/truck or something like a 12" serving tray/scrap metal plate

spring loaded multi-band wilson cellular booster antenna

I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
No, adding a spring to the coax will change the characteristics.

If you wanted to add a spring you would want to connect it to the metal mounting bracket.

This antenna is not that tall so I suspect you would be taking off other items on the roof if limbs are an issue.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008