cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anti-Virus software Win7 64 bit???

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
For years I have use Norton anti-virus because I add change and modify software and programs. I liked that Norton had the ability to "exclude" a file from scanning by the FILE name. That is I could specify */fileOK.exe and it would exclude this file no matter which folder it was located in.

I have upgraded to Win7 and Norton anti-virus will not work with Win7 64bit. O sure Norton has Norton 360 and Norton Endpoint Protection and other anti-virus software. All that I have tried require on to enter the complete path to exclude a file. Since I move my "fileOK.exe to different location this is a problem.

Can you suggest an anti-virus software that will do what I want?
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos
26 REPLIES 26

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
We use `AVG free' but it takes some doing to find it as compared with the `pay for' version.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

harley-dave
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure why you think Norton won't work on Win 7 64 bit. My Wife uses it all the time on her Win 7, 64 bit laptop. When I upgraded my PC from Vista to Win 7, I had to download the version to support 64 bit from Norton, It was a free upgrade at that time. See Norton for more specifics. Norton internet security is Anti-virus with some internet add-ons (like firewall etc).

Dave
2005 Winnebago-Itasca Sundancer 31C
2010 Harley-Davidson Soft tail Deluxe
2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special
1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4X4
SKP # 121272

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
Seriously folks, having worked for Microsoft - I know better than trusting my AntiVirus needs to them.

It has as much to do with having a bad product as the entire corporate culture (and general lack of concern for the end user)

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Microsoft Essentials. Download for free from Microsoft. It is working better on Win 7 then it did on XP.
Malwarebytes free version to get rid of adware.

Yes this is the best approach. I recommend this also....
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

Retired_Phone_M
Explorer
Explorer
I use Norton Internet Security and it will exclude a file wherever it is located.

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/norton-internet-security/20.4.0.40/solutions/v1911469_NIS_Retail...
2007 Toyota Tundra SR5 Double Cab with 5.7L V8 and Tow Package.
2007 Gulf Stream Ameri-Lite 21MB
Peaches - Lhasa Apso/Mut Mix

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on BitDefender!

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer

Just looked at my convertible notebook, and doesn't appear to be a way in Bitdefender to excluded file/folder scanning in the free version.

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
I have Win7 on a 64-bit machine.
Trend Micro has been running flawlessly. I don't note any slow down.
Haven't had any issues with it or what it does.
Seems seamless, actually.

Glad I selected the three year subscription with the desktop I purchased.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

Just be aware that Malwarebytes Free is only for on-demand scanning. The paid version has real-time protection, but designed to co-exist with an existing AV software package.

Microsoft Security Essentials(MSE) is basic protection, and better than nothing. But I wouldn't recommend it as a primary AV as it has consistently rated far below on protection, compared to most other major AV packages including those available for free. Even Microsoft recommends using a third party AV over MSE.

Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition is just as light as MSE, yet far superior in protection. Rated #1 in protection, receiving higher ratings than Kaspersky, Norton, or Trend Micro in WIN 7. Bitdefender does support file/folder exclusion, but not sure in the Free version. I'm running it on my WIN 8 64bit convertible notebook.

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
ME is NOT a good anti virus program. I was using it and had multiple virus get through. The techs I have talked to since are very anti ME, as they say it is NOT being monitored or updated as it used to be. I now use AVG or Avast with the Malwarebytes free as a supplement.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Microsoft Essentials. Download for free from Microsoft. It is working better on Win 7 then it did on XP.
Malwarebytes free version to get rid of adware.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Malwarebytes...free. Highly rated.
It has an "Ignore List" option that you can use to include programs and paths to ignore when scanning.

Malwarebytes download
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro