cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone good with A/V receivers?

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Picked up the Klipsch reference theater pack during the costco sale. Need a 7ch receiver for it and dont really know squat about them. By chance has anyone done a dolby atmos setup in their RV or trailer recently? I have speakers in my roof. So with the 5.1 klipsch setup i should be able to have a 7ch setup with the downward firing speakers.

I was so close to buying the Sony STR 1080. Was $100 off at best buy for a week. I totally lagged and missed the sale. Costco has a couple offerings right now. The yamaha is getting horrible reviews. The other receiver is not on sale. Hoping it will go on discount for xmas.

I plan to build some type of shock absorption for the receiver. Anyone done something similar? Advice to wire choice, banana plug choice, speaker location would all be greatly appreciated. Leaning towards 14awg solid core wire. The low oxygen stuff. Forget the exact term. Monoprice and GearIT seem to get good reviews. 
21 REPLIES 21

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Would like to say to you potential theives this neighborhood is not empty and we have eyes everywhere. I dont play music loud regardless.

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Nobody around but a sleeping dog.

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
wopachop wrote:
Have you guys cut holes in your cabinets and installed cooling fans? Its very dusty here and wondering how the different computer fan filters compare. Seems like several options in the 120mm size.

I see an Artic brand fan that comes with a temp probe on amazon. It doesnt list the temps it gets activated at. Still such a novice i need to check the back of the AV receiver. Im guessing there is a good spot to give power to cabinet cooling fans. Whats the most common is it 5v or 12v back there? I need to pull the instruction manual out start reading. I love learning. Not so much reading.

LOOK HERE

But I doubt you'll need cabinet cooling with that Yamaha. On 2nd thought, if you push it enough to need cabinet cooling you'll surely have some pissed off folks around you in a park or campground.

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Have you guys cut holes in your cabinets and installed cooling fans? Its very dusty here and wondering how the different computer fan filters compare. Seems like several options in the 120mm size.

I see an Artic brand fan that comes with a temp probe on amazon. It doesnt list the temps it gets activated at. Still such a novice i need to check the back of the AV receiver. Im guessing there is a good spot to give power to cabinet cooling fans. Whats the most common is it 5v or 12v back there? I need to pull the instruction manual out start reading. I love learning. Not so much reading.

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Its a front bedroom model. So in the main trailer space the 2 chairs are just sitting there in the center of the space. Normally they face sideways, looking out the big passanger side window. We usually set my laptop on the table and watch movies facing sideways.

I got a free TV and the few times we used it we switch the 2 chairs to be facing the rear of the trailer. With the TV set on the rear bunk beds.

Should be easy to put the chairs directly in front of the TV. Biggest question now is how i setup the speakers. Long and skinny room or short and fat.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
5.1, especially surround speakers is a challenge in long skinny room.

Where are you going to be sitting the most watching TV. You want to be directly in front of the TV

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Its funny i ended up going with the Yamaha RX-V6A that has all the bug issues. Some recent youtube reviews showed its a nice piece of equipment. Rated at 100watts and was putting out close to 150w. The reviewers are saying its a great choice in the $599 range that can read Atmos. But costco still has it for $330!! Seems like a really really good deal so i pounced on it. Good until Dec 27th i believe if anyone is in the market.

Now im looking for advice on TV and receiver placement. How would you guys setup your TV if you lived inside a ToyHauler and only go camping a few times a year? I normally lower a rear bunk bed and set the TV on that. Negative is i have to move the TV and raise the bunk bed when its time to go camping.

Other option is setting the TV on the side of the trailer. Maybe in front of the large window. With a rack that moves the TV up and down. That placement would allow the TV to be permanant.

Which way would give better audio? A long skinny room? Or a short and fat room? I got to think long and skinny is better for the surround sound speaker placement. Which means the TV on the bunk bed setup. Maybe i can build a folding rack so i can leave the cables attached and just fold the TV over. Then hit the button to raise the bunk bed. Another negative to that setup is going camping on a windy day. You lower that rear ramp and a lot of dust can fly in. Suppose i could cover the folded over TV with a nice widdle blankie. 

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
wopachop wrote:
First review of the Onkyo TX-NR595 at costco is reported. Gave it 1 star. Claims his installer said the receiver was defective out of the box.

Onkyo dissolved their USA distribution arm, Onkyo USA, last June. They entered into an agreement for Voxx Inyernational to handle distribution in NA under a new company, 11 trading company LLC.

Since then, and taking into account Covid, laying your hands on an Onkyo receiver has been almost impossible, especially the upper echelon ones.

I would not base a purchase on a single review on some website, especially Costco which is frequented by cheapskate tire kickers. I have had many Onkyo components since the 70's and they're usually the cream of the crop when price is considered. I have had one Onkyo receiver that had an HDMI board go bad, and another that the DTS chip developed a cold solder issue.

That said I have also had issues with Marantz/Denon and even with an Anthem. They're complicated pieces of equipment and get more complicated as time goes on. Its hit and miss even if you drop $3.5K on one. The 595 is an entry level grade receiver made for Harry Homeowner that is short on features, but for a sub $500 price its a deal if you can indeed find one. In any case much better than some such as Yamaha or Sony.

BTW, one can get much better info at AVSforum.com or somewhere than on some RV board.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
dieseltruckdriver wrote:

Everyone please keep posting what you have done in your RV, I am still looking for ideas, and have been told a sub can't go in the 5er.

I'm still struggling to get all my audio and video files to play. I'm leaning towards either backup server or a small footprint desktop pc.

In terms of audio, in the park model bedroom, I have a wireless 5.1, it works ok. In my TT, I have a 3.1, It's better than TV speaker ๐Ÿ™‚

For our 5th wheel, I'll probably go with another wireless 5.1.

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
First review of the Onkyo TX-NR595 at costco is reported. Gave it 1 star. Claims his installer said the receiver was defective out of the box.

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
BurbMan wrote:
I had heard that many electronics mfrs were rushing to move production out of China to avoid the new 25% tariff when covid hit and the combined effect has been reduced output and shortages of many electronics items.

You can get some good 14/2 in-wall sheathed speaker wire here at Parts Express for a reasonable price.

We had a 5.1 system I custom installed at our last S&B house and it was great, but this time around went with a Klipsch 2.1 soundbar and for these old ears it sounds just as good in a small space.

Not sure what your receiver budget is, but you can't go srong with Denon. I would also read the reviews here at Crutchfield to give you some perspective.

Honestly those Klipsch speakers are going to sound great with anything but a Wal-Mart receiver.

My home theater (Dolby Pro Logic) receiver is over 25 years old, but it still sounds amazing, coupled with Klipsch speakers, and a Velodyne sub.
I am going to miss those when we go full time. {Sigh}

Although, with the ringing in my ears as I get older maybe I won't notice that the new receivers aren't as clean as mine.

Everyone please keep posting what you have done in your RV, I am still looking for ideas, and have been told a sub can't go in the 5er.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
shastagary wrote:
the Denon S750H looks like a great a/v receiver i have had a few denons and they have always been top notch with great sound there is a learning curve with all the settings but most receivers are like that now days.

Our new residence is a little bit challenging, so I decided to use the microphone and let the Denon set up the speakers and sound. It wasn't very good. I stripped everything off, and started over again. Boosted bass so you could actually hear/feel it in audio tracks that hit the sub. Boosted the rears 2.5db. SOUNDS AWESOME! I still miss my infinity towers tho. Even 1/2 deaf the mid level Polk in walls just aren't the same.

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
the Denon S750H looks like a great a/v receiver i have had a few denons and they have always been top notch with great sound there is a learning curve with all the settings but most receivers are like that now days.

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Ive been watching costco. In the last day or 2 they got the Denon S750H. Its currently $399. From the info ive been gathering thats a really good receiver for a smoking deal.