Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

AT&T Hot-spot performance?

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Everyone,

I purchased an AT&T / Nether hot-spot. I have played with it extensively at home and it has worked great. But.... We didn't buy it for home. We bought it so we could have internet connectivity while away from home.

Unfortunately, the device performance, away from home, has been dismal.

The troubles range from constantly rebooting to showing 3-4 bars of signal but not showing connected to AT&T. After several reboots it will connect. The connection lasts anywhere from 10 minutes to several hours. It appears to be worse during the day than early morning or late evening.

Has anyone here run into similar problems? I called AT&T and had no success.

I am wondering if my hot-spot may be defective or if AT&T's service is just that bad?

What do you all think?
2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....
18 REPLIES 18

jcpainter
Explorer
Explorer
PNW_Steve wrote:

I have the Nether MIMO external antenna. It does help a little. Not as much as I had expected.

The Netgear external antenna will not enhance a good signal, you will see the best performance enhancement when the cellular signal is weak. Remember also that it is directional, so the window you place it in can make a difference. Always run speedtests to determine true performance . . . bars don't matter much anymore, especially when there is MIMO communication on both ends.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
vjstangelo wrote:
vermilye wrote:
I'd suspect the hotspot. I use a Mobley, and if I have AT&T coverage, it never shuts down or reboots.

Ditto.

Threeto!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
RobWNY wrote:
theoldwizard1 wrote:
The problem with almost all "hotspot" devices is that they have very poor internal antennas. When you are camping, it is typically not close to a cell tower so you have a weaker signal. Some of the aftermarket hotspots (cell phone data to WiFi converter) do have external antennas and they make a big difference.

Typically, you just swap the SIM card.

How far away from a cell tower would an external antenna be useful in typical situations?

I have the Nether MIMO external antenna. It does help a little. Not as much as I had expected.
2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
AT&T mobley excellent coverage
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

vjstangelo
Explorer
Explorer
vermilye wrote:
I'd suspect the hotspot. I use a Mobley, and if I have AT&T coverage, it never shuts down or reboots.

Ditto.
2012 Winnebago Vista 32K
2011 Honda CRV Toad

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Everyone. I didn't mean to highjack the thread.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I didnโ€™t care about an external antenna on the puck as I have a Weboost RV amp.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
RobWNY wrote:
Big Katuna wrote:
I use OTR (ATT service) with a Velocity 2 puck and it works great.
I bought a month and let it lapsed and it took them a day to restart it but oh well.

When I reupped I learned that OTR is raising its rates soon.

ATT 4G is not as fast (5-10 gbs) as my Verizon iPhone 4LTE 15-25gbs but V throttles the data rate often.

I would buy it again.

I might add that I also use a Weboost RV cell amp that greatly enhances reliability and speed.

Do you know how much the rate increase? Because you reupped before the increase are you grandfathered in or will you pay more also?

The agent I was chatrooming with didnโ€™t know. If you signup for auto renew, you are grandfathered in. I bought two months as we are on the road into Sept.
When we get home Iโ€™ll let it expire as I donโ€™t need it at home. Uverse is cheaper.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

jcpainter
Explorer
Explorer
RobWNY wrote:
theoldwizard1 wrote:
The problem with almost all "hotspot" devices is that they have very poor internal antennas. When you are camping, it is typically not close to a cell tower so you have a weaker signal. Some of the aftermarket hotspots (cell phone data to WiFi converter) do have external antennas and they make a big difference.

How far away from a cell tower would an external antenna be useful in typical situations?

The newer hotspots have EXCELLENT internal antennas. AT&T's current flagship model, the NightHawk has quad MIMO internal antennas and performs great.

Location, location, location. If you are in an area with a strong AT&T signal, the Nighthawk is fantastic. If you're in an area with a weak AT&T signal . . . not so much.

The same applies for all carriers. It's important now, more than ever, to have an up to date hotspot device. Older technology just doesn't perform as well.

Verizon's flagship is the 8800L and does well also. It's sad that Verizon is still pawning off their old Ellipsis Jetpack (MHS900L) on uninformed customers.

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:
I use OTR (ATT service) with a Velocity 2 puck and it works great.
I bought a month and let it lapsed and it took them a day to restart it but oh well.

When I reupped I learned that OTR is raising its rates soon.

ATT 4G is not as fast (5-10 gbs) as my Verizon iPhone 4LTE 15-25gbs but V throttles the data rate often.

I would buy it again.

I might add that I also use a Weboost RV cell amp that greatly enhances reliability and speed.

Do you know how much the rate increase? Because you reupped before the increase are you grandfathered in or will you pay more also?

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Do you mean a Netgear hotspot? I had two Netgear Utile Explore units that kept rebooting and had connection issues. I switched to a Netgear 4G LTE Modem and a tp-link router and they work great.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36