cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

BaseCamp vs MapSource

RetiredBob
Explorer
Explorer
I've been using MapSource for years to plan my trips and download them to my GPS (I know it's no longer supported by Garmin) and am very comfortable using it. My question is, should I switch to BaseCamp? For those who have experience using both, is BaseCamp significantly better? Is it worth investing my time to learn a new system? A lot of posters have mentioned the steep learning curve. Thanks in advance for any comments.
6 REPLIES 6

FlatBroke
Explorer
Explorer
I also found Base Camp to use unless you use it a lot. I don't and have to relearn every time I open it.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Basecamp has a slightly steeper learning curve than Mapsource. It is different from Mapsource in many (better) ways, but after using it for the last couple of years I would not want to go back to Mapsource.

Ramblin__Ralph
Explorer
Explorer
As a long time user of Mapsource, I found Basecamp to be very confusing to use. However, I think the newer versions of Garmin GPS units will not interface with Mapsource, so you're forced to use Basecamp.

I read in the stored waypoints from my new GPS with Basecamp, store them in a file, then open the file with Mapsource.

YMMV.
Ralph
2006 GMC 2500HD, XCab, SB, 6.0L w/2001 Lance 845
Bilstein Shocks, TorkLift Stable Loads, 100 Ah LiFePo4, 225 watt solar
My RV Travels Webpage / Yearly Campsite Map / 740 Campsites / YouTube Videos /
Instagram

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, it replaced Mapsource.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
Is Basecamp by Garmin?
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't remember seeing that much difference between Mapsource and Basecamp. Basically a change of names. I used Mapsource and now use Basecamp. I only use it to transfer routes to the GPS, I use Delorme Street Atlas to create the routes. Basecamp or Mapsource removed too many roads when you zoomed out, and made it very hard to try to plan a longer route.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"