cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

carryout troubles

GTO66
Explorer
Explorer
Currently on a trip and all was well with the directv, however after shutting down the system yesterday I've been unable to get the carryout to lock onto a satellite. Tried rebooting the receiver and resetting the satellite but nothing has worked. Even ran another set of cables an removed the dome to make sure it was turning and it was. Called directv and will call winegard tomorrow.Thought I would post in hopes someone might have an answer. thanks.
14 REPLIES 14

GTO66
Explorer
Explorer
I'm fine with the $7.00 a month as long as they provide the receiver,but they won't they want me to pay a $119 for a replacement receiver and then charge the monthly fee. There still talk of directv ending there sd programing some time in 2019. If they do my old carry out should work with dish so I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. For the time being I hope to use a swm 840 switch with one of my other H-25 receivers.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
GTO66 wrote:
I have the first gen carryout model CB GM-1518. Winegard said my D-12 receiver supplies the volts through the coax to allow it to lock on a satellite and is not longer supplying dc volts. They and directv sell a receiver (H-24)that should work I don't want to purchase a receiver and still pay directv there monthly rental fee. It seems since being bought by att there the same as the cable companies no customer service.

If you only have 1 receiver there is no additional monthly fee. If you have more than 1 receiver on your account there is a $7/month for each additional receiver no matter whether you buy it or lease it or it appears out of thin air.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

GTO66
Explorer
Explorer
I have the first gen carryout model CB GM-1518. Winegard said my D-12 receiver supplies the volts through the coax to allow it to lock on a satellite and is not longer supplying dc volts. They and directv sell a receiver (H-24)that should work I don't want to purchase a receiver and still pay directv there monthly rental fee. It seems since being bought by att there the same as the cable companies no customer service.

ChuckSteed
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure which carry out model you have but I believe all of them use a power inserter in between the receiver and the dish. If it is bad or not powered up no DC signal will go to antenna dish and you wonโ€™t find satellites

https://www.winegard.com/help/images/8/8c/2452360.pdf

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
H24 works with SWM or not. H25 and higher receivers require SWM.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

haydoracin
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know the difference between H24 and H25 but I used my H24 with a carryout without a SWM switch. I now have HR 44 Genie with clients which will require the SWM. The receiver will require going through the set up to work with the Carryout.
Hayden & Jan
1994 Southwind 33L P-Chassis 454
2006 Chevrolet HHR
OTY (Mini Dachsund)

GTO66
Explorer
Explorer
I think the receiver is just reaching its end, as all the coax is always hooked up prior to plugging the unit in as the power cable just reaches the outlet. Since being bought by att directv doesn't care if you leave. The only way they would replace the receiver is if I upgraded the replacement standard receiver would cost 119.00 and you would still need to pay the receiver monthly fee. So for now I'm researching using one of my H-25 receivers by adding swm 840 switch kit.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I can not answer your "Will it work" question but..

When you hook up and unhook be sure the RECEIVER is power off. I mean UNPLUGED level of power off. for at least several minutes before messing with the cable. OR put an A/B switch in the line and run one side to the cable and the other side.. Leave blank.

Shorting the center wire to the nut at the wrong instant can blow the receiver.

OH. one more thing.. Call Direct back and give them the 800 number for DISH and see how fast they fix your problem
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

GTO66
Explorer
Explorer
Made it home and my D-12 receiver works fine in the house, but not in the RV. I have a new question if I installed a swm 840 switch kit in the RV would I be able to use my H-25 receiver with the old CB GM-1518 carryout? Thanks

haydoracin
Explorer
Explorer
Had a similar problem about a year and a half ago in Florida. I think it was caused by turning the Carry Out on before turning the DirecTV receivers on. Haven't had a problem since.
Hayden & Jan
1994 Southwind 33L P-Chassis 454
2006 Chevrolet HHR
OTY (Mini Dachsund)

GTO66
Explorer
Explorer
Just an update after trouble shooting my problem with winegard, who were very helpful it was narrowed down to the receiver as it wasn't put out 12 plus volts at the satellite in port. I called directv who were not very helpful and said it would be a 119.00 charge to replace the receiver. I think its time to go back to cable as I live in florida and lose the signal quite often. May try dish RV service next time.

GTO66
Explorer
Explorer
There is nothing blocking the sw sky it worked fine the day before in the same spot. I have moved since and still won't lock to a satellite even moved it from the roof with no luck.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
and it doesn't take much of a tree to block that signal; I think sometimes a `leaf' will do it...
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are you positive you have a line of sight to the area of the sky where your satellites are? The azimuth and elevation change as you move around the country and the life goal of all the trees is to block our antennas from seeing the satellites. I use a satellite finder app on my smart phone to make sure.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015