cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Changing AV programs or???

DD716TED
Explorer
Explorer
I am currently using McAfee AV on a Win 10, and a Win 11 PC and it is due to be renewed ($$) soon.. Just asking what others are using (Satisfied, Unsatisfied or recommendations) before I go ahead and renew OR make a change. I have asked this on INET but must reviews are related to this or that company and to me are questionable.. Travel and Camp Safe..
13 REPLIES 13

I also use Windows built-in Defender. Free and top rated by independent security orgs. MS is well vested in security infrastructure that other app manufactures rely for threat info. Personally, haven't paid for AV software in over 20 years.

You don't necessarily get better protection by paying for AV software. Plus its only one aspect of overall security. Keeping your OS, browsers, and software updated with security patches is more important than ever. Plus knowledge of common hacker tactics such as social engineering adds another layer of protection.

Also, if you do the research, you'll find that some of the highly rated paid AV software have been exploited by hackers in the past. Some multiple times. This is particularly dangerous for AV software as it requires elevated privileges on you system to even work. Which gives a successful hacker pretty much free rein to do what they want on your system.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
TenOC wrote:
Try Avast FREE. Works well for me. They have a paid version that I have also use but do not see any advantage.

I HATE Avast !

Mainly because it tries to install itself when Ccleaner (which I use occasionally) updates.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Second Chance wrote:
The Windows Defender security system (Microsoft's built-in system) has come a LONG way.

Concur !

IMHO anti-virus are now a waste of money !

DD716TED
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all that took the time to reply..Now I am loaded with information next year.. I waited to long to cancel my McAfee Auto Renewal option by 2 days therefore they took the $$ from my account and renewed me until next July #$$%%^..I contacted them with little or no luck as fine print states once renewed, NO CAN CANCEL WITH REFUND! Life will go on but next year I will cancel them and make sure Auto Renew is no selected.. Then Adios McAfee...

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Windows Defender on all my PCs. Used to use AVG and McAfee and they were very difficult to get rid of completely (not sure I have even after years of trying).

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have used Windows Defender for years with no problems. In addition to the built in Windows Security, I now also use PC Matic VPN
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yup, Windows Security Essentials here, Windows Defender, too.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Martyn
Nomad
Nomad
I use the built in Windows Defender and have for years. It has improved steadily, and I have always hated the 'bloatware' and ensuing spam I got from McAfee and Norton. First thing I do with a new computer is remove McAfee!
2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27SGS;
2019 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 6.4 Hemi BigHorn;
DEMCO Autoslide; 2 Honda EU2000i's;
Our Website

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
Try Avast FREE. Works well for me. They have a paid version that I have also use but do not see any advantage.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I too have relied on the built in Windows anti-virus for a long time. I augment it with the free version of Malwarebytes for those times when I venture into uncharted territory, which isn't often. In my experience, most dangers now days seem to be more like phishing scams and the like. Anti-virus software can't offer much there.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
I've been using the IObit software for many years now and am satisfied with the performance.

https://www.iobit.com/en/index.php?s
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I just use the free Microsoft defender at home and have for years with no issues.

In my professional life I absolutely hate McAfee.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Windows Defender security system (Microsoft's built-in system) has come a LONG way. I'm using it on both of our Win 11 laptops and have had zero issues in the years I've been using it. It costs nothing extra and there's much less overhead (doesn't bog down the system) than McAfee and other aftermarket programs. Prior to the improvements in Windows Defender, I used avast! on the advice of the IT people at work (a 500+ bed hospital with probably thousands of PCs).

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015