cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Chromebooks?

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a long time Microsoft OS user, and have been curious about Chromebooks since they're priced a lot lower than other laptops. In my research I discovered many positive, as well as negative remarks concerning them. My main concern is being locked into Google things, like Chrome browser.

If any of you are currently using a Chromebook, I'd like to hear your positive/negative experiences. Thank you.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)
34 REPLIES 34

RayJayco
Explorer
Explorer
1492 wrote:
RayJayco wrote:
Has anyone read the EULA for cloud storage? I have't read chromes, however I don't allow any cloud storage as most will say that all data, pics, etc., are the property of the cloud.

Where does it say that for Google Cloud Storage? From what I read, "As between the parties, Customer owns all Intellectual Property Rights in Customer Data and Customer Applications, and Google owns all Intellectual Property Rights in the Services and Software." Basically, you own what's yours and they own what's theirs.

If you're using sites such as YouTube or photo gallery sites, then TOS may include allowing the platform the license to host your content for others to view where applicable. They don't claim ownership of your content. No organization would use cloud storage if that was the case.

I recall reading it in a few of them. As I said I haven't read Chromes as I have stayed away from clouds after reading some of them when they first came out.

All I am saying is ALWAYS read ALL of the EULA's very carefully...
Inquiring minds want to know...

RayJayco wrote:
Has anyone read the EULA for cloud storage? I have't read chromes, however I don't allow any cloud storage as most will say that all data, pics, etc., are the property of the cloud.

Where does it say that for Google Cloud Storage? From what I read, "As between the parties, Customer owns all Intellectual Property Rights in Customer Data and Customer Applications, and Google owns all Intellectual Property Rights in the Services and Software." Basically, you own what's yours and they own what's theirs.

If you're using sites such as YouTube or photo gallery sites, then TOS may include allowing the platform the license to host your content for others to view where applicable. They don't claim ownership of your content. No organization would use cloud storage if that was the case.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
mr. ed wrote:
TenOC wrote:
They do NOT have a hard drive. All data in on the cloud.. . :S . . :h

Sounds like a positive thing as there's one less component to wear out if it was a mechanical HD.

A "Chromebook" is in reality nothing more than a Android OS installed on a small "laptop" form instead of a tablet so it is more than "just a browser" but far, far less than a real Laptop.

Because Android OS is used, the hardware requirements are much lower and typically are "ARM" processors which are not Intel or AMD and are far slower along with very little amount of memory compared to a traditional laptop. Android works surprisingly well with those processors but it isn't going to win any races by any means.

As such it has a lot of the limitations of a Android tablet, has very little on board storage (solid state) depending on the version of Android but typically about 32GB. About half the storage will be the OS, the recovery (the "power wash") files. The remaining storage is for your OFFLINE Apps and some OFFLINE data.

If you have software or "Aps" (Paid or free)for your current laptop PC running any flavor of "Windows", you will not be able to install or transfer those on to a Chromebook. You will have to find "generic" equivalents and that is the rub.. From dealing with Android phones and Tablets many "Aps" available for Android tend to be clunky and buggy and the "free Apps" are loaded to the hilt with continually serving up "Ads" trying to upsell the product or other sponsors.

If your looking at Chromebooks because they are cheap, you GET CHEAP.

As far as folks "thinking" their data is 100% safe, private and protected, think again.. Absolutely NOTHING on the "cloud" is 100% safe, secure or guaranteed to be "private".

Once it leaves YOUR control it is no longer YOURS.

If you can accept any and all of those limitations A Chromebook could be useful as long as you don't mind the limitations and don't expect a lot out of it.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
mr. ed wrote:
There is much information on the Web about Google using your personal info for advertising purposes.
Actually, I kind of like that. It's amazing how I can be searching google for something or talking about it on here, and then I start seeing ads for those products. I don't have a problem with that.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
mr. ed wrote:
I know it's a good browser, but there are so many reports about privacy issues.
I don't know what that would be.

There is much information on the Web about Google using your personal info for advertising purposes. Because thereโ€™ s so much info, I tend to believe some of it may be true. Of course, other browsers may do the same thing, so thereโ€™s nothing much that can be done about it. I wonโ€™t stop using the Internet because of it. Just look at it as a necessary evil. :R

memilanuk
Explorer
Explorer
TenOC wrote:
They do NOT have a hard drive.

They don't have a 'hard drive', i.e. traditional spinning drive.

They *do* have local onboard solid-state storage.

Older and/or less expensive models tend to have not very much room to spare, but it's still there. Newer and/or more expensive models have more. Depending on what all you're trying to store on there, it may be more than enough for casual use.

One of the nice things about Chromebooks is that if you break it, lose it, want to upgrade and re-home the one you have... it's very simple to 'power wash' the device, which wipes it and resets to factory defaults. Depending on the speed of your internet connection, 15 minutes later you can have an entirely new one set up just like your old one, with all your bookmarks and settings. Very nice. The downside is... anything stored locally is usually in the 'Downloads' folder... and gets wiped out as part of the 'power wash'. Not really any different than if you wipe and restore any other laptop, but occasionally it catches people off-guard.

Most, if not all, have at least one external USB type 'A' port, so plugging in a thumb drive for storing other things is not a big deal. Get one of the slim/flush fit drives that sticks out maybe a 1/4 inch, and just leave it plugged in. Problem solved.

We have a nicer one (well, it was a couple years ago anyway) - Asus C434 'Flip'. Metal case, touch screen, works as a laptop, can be folded over in 'tent' mode for watching videos, or folded completely over and used as a big Android tablet (not really it's best feature, in my experience). For traveling, where we want some level of connectivity without bringing the primary home laptops with potentially sensitive information along... works great. I think it's the third one we've had over the years. Used it as a 'daily driver' for a while, including running Linux on it directly (a beta feature). The loooooong battery life is a nice plus. Some of the better Windows laptops nowadays can probably match it in that regard... but they typically cost a lot more.

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
With the various devices out there, I recommend you think about your primary usage. We have chromebooks, a mac, and a pc at home, with external hard drives and cloud storage. I use my cell most of the time though lol.

On the road a tablet would do everything we need, and look great when connected to the TV for watching videos or photo sharing. That's what I'd buy.

I can take anything into a cafe, from my cell to my laptop, so that's not a factor. Neither is charging via usb or to the inverter. Certainly the tablet is fully cloud based- but for email, news, some social and sharing pics, it'd be "just right" for this goldilocks.
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
mr. ed wrote:
I know it's a good browser, but there are so many reports about privacy issues.
I don't know what that would be.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
RayJayco wrote:
Has anyone read the EULA for cloud storage? I have't read chromes, however I don't allow any cloud storage as most will say that all data, pics, etc., are the property of the cloud. That means if you are driving down the road and see your picture in an ad on a billboard, nothing you can do about it, just as an example...
Moral of the story, read the EULA's VERY carefully...

EULA= End User License Agreement
You must click accept to continue, most people do without taking the time to read it. You should always read any EULA before clicking yes, clouds, software, etc,,,

Interesting point, Ray. In my case, I would probably use an external HDD to store most data. I currently have a 1TB external HDD and would probably buy another.

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
TenOC wrote:
They do NOT have a hard drive. All data in on the cloud.. . :S . . :h

Sounds like a positive thing as there's one less component to wear out if it was a mechanical HD.

RayJayco
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone read the EULA for cloud storage? I have't read chromes, however I don't allow any cloud storage as most will say that all data, pics, etc., are the property of the cloud. That means if you are driving down the road and see your picture in an ad on a billboard, nothing you can do about it, just as an example...
Moral of the story, read the EULA's VERY carefully...

EULA= End User License Agreement
You must click accept to continue, most people do without taking the time to read it. You should always read any EULA before clicking yes, clouds, software, etc,,,
Inquiring minds want to know...

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the mostly positive replies. During my research, I had read that Chromebooks lock you in to having to use the Chrome browser. I know it's a good browser, but there are so many reports about privacy issues. Right now, I'm happily using Chromium Edge and Firefox browsers. I'm not crazy about the idea of an operating system forcing me to use only their proprietary programs.

Anyway, one of you said that you CAN use other browsers. If that's the case, it would go a long way towards me eventually buying a Chromebook.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are alternative browsers you can run on Chromebooks. But I actually PREFER Chrome. The major negatives are not a lot of storage (Though you can plug in gigs of MicroSD card) and limited aps. though I find most of what I need they run. ONE program I have needs doze. but I can do everything else on Chromebook.

One big advantage.. i've had Chromebooks attacked by mal-ware.. Remove SD card. and very quickly get to Settings, Advanced, power wash, and your Chrome book is now brand new again, Same as when you first unwrapped it. Malware GONE. (unless it infected the card)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have two cromebooks. They are great for what they are. Would not really call it a laptop in the traditional sense.

trb46
Explorer
Explorer
I love my Chromebook, especially when traveling. It weighs a lot less than a typical Windows PC. My Chromebook connects to marginal campground WiFi much better than my Windows PC. I donโ€™t mind storing files on the cloud, but I have also used thumb drives, SD cards, and external hard drives with it for additional local storage. I have used Acer, Samsung, and Lenovo Chromebooks in the past and all have been excellent. As 2oldman mentioned, they boot up quickly; and I have never heard of anyone getting a virus with a Chromebook. Go for it!
2011 Four Winds 23A
Only 48 more states to visit!