cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Comcast to charge extra for exceeding 1.2 TB data

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
According to many users and experts 1.2 TB of data is not much for people using Zoom conferences for personal and business purposes and also large households with many family members streaming internet data at same time most of the time. More info here. I am not a Comcast customer but Spectrum may be next however this is a small household.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/cord-cutting-leading-to-surge-in-surcharges Happy Trails and camping everyone
24 REPLIES 24

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
clicky
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
Many People Are Angry With Comcast

https://bgr.com/2020/12/25/comcast-internet-plans-data-cap-limit-charges/

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
NamMedevac 70 wrote:
For RV and on the road trips I have grandfathered true unlimited AT&T Mobley hotspot with good reception most everywhere and I do heavy movie streaming and web surfing for $22.00 per month with vet discount. Also use Mobley for internet backup at home with AC adapter. Very rare slowdowns or throttling but does happen sometimes. Can use up to 5 devices.

For phone call I use grandfathered AT&T prepaid plan that only charges a dollar a day only for the actual days I use it. Charge per minute or call is almost nothing.

I have Spectrum at home with no data caps and I do very heavy movie streaming, web surfing, heavy uploading and downloading of photos, emailing, etc. etc. with very rare slowdowns and no throttling. Speeds average between 116 to 134 mbs. Sometimes over 7 devices in use. Cost is $59.00 per month. Been lucky with AT&T and Spectrum

All that grandfathering is great until it isn't. AT&T will one day change the rules of the game, you can count on it, they always do.
Hopefully they drag their rear ends doing it.

I wish I had $10 for every time AT&T or Verizon changed the rules even when one was under a written agreement. It's always in the fine print.

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
For RV and on the road trips I have grandfathered true unlimited AT&T Mobley hotspot with good reception most everywhere and I do heavy movie streaming and web surfing for $22.00 per month with vet discount. Also use Mobley for internet backup at home with AC adapter. Very rare slowdowns or throttling but does happen sometimes. Can use up to 5 devices.

For phone call I use grandfathered AT&T prepaid plan that only charges a dollar a day only for the actual days I use it. Charge per minute or call is almost nothing.

I have Spectrum at home with no data caps and I do very heavy movie streaming, web surfing, heavy uploading and downloading of photos, emailing, etc. etc. with very rare slowdowns and no throttling. Speeds average between 116 to 134 mbs. Sometimes over 7 devices in use. Cost is $59.00 per month. Been lucky with AT&T and Spectrum

6door74
Explorer
Explorer
I checked our usage when this was announced

Household of 4(sometimes 5)

Subscribe to streaming TV provider (AT&T TV) and have Netflix, amazon prime

Multiple cell phones, laptops

Ring security and cameras connected to wifi

Son is a "gamer" but works full time so doesn't live on the game

Parents work FT jobs, stream TV when home. I work evenings and she works days so 1 TV does stream pretty much all day. That will have to change.

Teenage daughter doesn't watch a lot of TV but is often on Facetime and streaming music

When this announcement was made i checked our usage and we've gone over the 1.2gb the last 3 months I looked at. Our usage is the same as it's pretty much always been. We're both essential workers so Covid hasn't changed too much
2006 E350 V10
Travel Trailer-TBD

wapiticountry
Explorer
Explorer
NamMedevac 70 wrote:
Well if few people are arriving at the 1.2 TB limit then I wonder why the data cap and extra fees. Maybe they are anticipating the future. Just curious.
That cap is probably aimed at either businesses using residential plans or multi-family type housing situations where one apartment (or RV, or neighbor) pays for service and everyone else piggy-backs off that service via routers and repeaters. Might even be aimed at the local campground that pays for one connection then wirelessly connects the whole park.

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well if few people are arriving at the 1.2 TB limit then I wonder why the data cap and extra fees. Maybe they are anticipating the future. Just curious.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Fisherman wrote:
Well there's soooo many people out there who think they're important and have to have the phone going all the time, the pad and TV. You want to pay less, turn the **** thing off and leave it at home. 30 years ago the world didn't end when the phone wasn't answered and it won't now.

Yeah and who wants to go back in time 30 years? While there is an overload of social media it's still really nice to be able to communicate with someone instantly.

I for one don't want to go back to no internet and dial phones.
30 years ago this site wasn't here.

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Fisherman wrote:
Well there's soooo many people out there who think they're important and have to have the phone going all the time, the pad and TV. You want to pay less, turn the **** thing off and leave it at home. 30 years ago the world didn't end when the phone wasn't answered and it won't now.

Now you're making me feel bad about my flip phone being in my pocket sometimes. Actually it's just a tether to my DW so she can find me, when I run astray. Sometimes she needs help pointing the rabbit ears for our black & white CRT TV.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with jobed. Wait for Starlink.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:
I see dish got there act together, finally!

It wasn't Dish that got their act together, it was Nexstar. They are the ones that ask unreasonable rates to carry their programming. The same stations with other owners never left the Dish lineup. Eventually, they all figure out it is costing them money in advertisers and get reasonable. Chuck

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I see dish got there act together, finally!

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, just looked it up 3500 hours of video conferencing. Lol. So if you had a family of five on zoom 24 hours a day 7 days week every day for each month you would not reach that limit.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.allconnect.com/blog/1-tb-internet-data
Seems as if 1.2 tb is a ton of data. Most will never come close to that usage. Even with zoom etc.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.