cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting subwoofer to new stereo

jacquesmm
Explorer
Explorer
The answer may be very simple to many of you but I don't have a clue.
I got rid of the infamous Concertone XZ700 that came with my 5th Wheel and bought a Jensen JWM60A.
Installation was easy but I don't know how to connect the subwoofer.
The ZX700 had a special connector for it with 2 wires. I don't see anything like it on the Jensen.
Out of the 3 zones on the Jensen, I use only zone A. It has connectors for 2 pairs of speakers, miss the center one, no big deal. What I miss is the subwoofer.
Should I connect it to the speaker wires on zone B for example and turn the 2 zones on? Would that work? I think it's what's called a self powered subwoofer.
7 REPLIES 7

jacquesmm
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the answers above. As I said, I am not an expert in that field and I should have asked for advice here instead of believing the RV repair guys.
I am not an audiophile and I don't use the stereo that much: news, talk shows and once in a while a movie. If I care, I will one day replace the Jensen with a 5.1 system. Or install that crossover system.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I pulled up the manual on Amazon and you are definitely correct about the no sub option. The problem you are running into is the old Concertone XZ700 is a surround system and can output 5.1 sound (4 speakers +1 center speaker for 5 plus a sub for the point one)

Your new Jensen is not a surround receiver but rather just a standard stereo output so yes you will not have a center channel.

A crossover is basically a filter box. You run the speaker wires from the Jensen to the crossover. The crossover splits up the sound and sends the mid and high levels to the speakers and the low levels to the subwoofer. I did a real quick look on Amazon and found an inexpensive crossover, but you will need an adapter as well.
Crossover on Amazon
Adapter cable on Amazon
Jensen stereo on Amazon with link to owners manual
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
a cross-over just limits the higher frequencies. The sub only needs to play the low notes, the smaller speakers play the higher notes.
You will need to limit/eliminate the higher frequencies from going to the sub or it will sound really bad.

A nice sound system might have the high freq going to small speakers/tweeters, the mids going to medium size speakers and the lows going to the big subs. Cross-overs on each speaker (speaker'samp) will filter out the unwanted frequencies.

Little speakers can't play bass any better than a bass speaker can play high notes. Only send to them what is in their range to play…

You messed up to begin with taking stereo advice from an RV salesperson. Any audio technician can better advise you. Even the part-timers at Best Buy will know more.
A radio, no matter the vehicle application, has wires for power and output for speakers. Knowing RVs is of zero help to pick out a radio. With the least bit of knowledge someone could have advised you to get one with a sub output, and since an RV (you might be sitting far from the radio) to get one with a remote also.

jacquesmm
Explorer
Explorer
Some good advice already, thank you.
About the Jensen: I was at an RV repair place in Sebastian FL, had them do a lot of work for a couple 1000's $ but they asked about $ 650.00 to replace the old stereo. They recommended the Jensen unit that it is sold on Amazon for 165. They said that was the standard replacement. I go camping to be in nature not to listen to the stereo but my wife likes to watch a movie sometimes.

I can live without the subwoofer but I will check the cross-over solution. I have to learn what it is first. I am good at designing boats but don't have a clue about all those wires . . .

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
If it does have a special connection then there will be an RCA port on the back. This looks like your connections on some older TVs.

If not, then does your sub amp have an unbalanced input? You can run the rear speakers to the sub and keep the front speakers as your regular speakers.
You will need a cross-over, some amps have them, most all modern ones should. If not then you will have to buy it.
Modern radios also have a cross-over so they only put out low signals to the subs, not the high and mid frequencies. A sub will sound bad playing the highs and
mids.
Subs do use a lot of power, so if boondocking in your camper it will need lots of battery.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Sorry to hear you bought a Jensen. Without a specific sub woofer output, I don't know what to tell you.

x2, replaced one stinker with another

Go to crutchfield.com and get a crossover, put in line with your speaker outputs. Wire the low pass output to the subwoofer.

If the sub only has weird special connectors, replace the sub, get an Alpine, Pioneer or Sony

Many sub have a crossover built in, so your speaker wires go to the sub first and then the satellites... if your wiring supports this, no need to buy an external crossover
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry to hear you bought a Jensen. Without a specific sub woofer output, I don't know what to tell you.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman