cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dell update almost froze my Inspiron 500 series laptop

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone else with a Dell laptop have a problem after installing the firmware update on Friday the 13th?

My laptop practically quit, so I ran Malwarebytes scan and found no virus problems I finally looked at the Control Panel and saw that that was the only recently added program was a Dell update, so I uninstalled it, resolving the issue.

Just wondering if I was the only one.
8 REPLIES 8

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
Delete

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
Delete

harley-dave
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, my Dell Inspiron booted but never gave me the desktop. Left it sit an hour but finally held down the power button to turn off. Unplugged it and removed the battery. Left it sit for a minute and put it back together, turned it on and everything fine. It seems to require the unplug/battery removal occasionally when it gets locked up. Always works fine after that (until next update from Dell)

Dave
2005 Winnebago-Itasca Sundancer 31C
2010 Harley-Davidson Soft tail Deluxe
2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special
1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4X4
SKP # 121272

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
I ditched Norton years ago. It was almost like having a virus as far as slowing the system. I only run the free Malwarebytes and run it when I need to do a scan. I use Bullguard and it seems to be OK but I'm open to change when it comes up for renewal.

Everything seems OK for now but I probably need to try the update again.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 5000 as well but with full programmers software and a chipset hard drive. No issues with mine at all and I just ran another update last night.

Running like a scaled dog, I'm posting on it. I'd suggest ditching 'Malware Bytes' and loading CCleaner Professional edition. Much better, less intrusive program. Additionally, If you have Norton AV, I'd can that as well and get Trend. Norton has way too much junk running in the background, it slows your PC down. Trend don't but Trend isn't cheap like Norton or the others are. You get exactly what you pay for, like everything in life.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe I should try to install the update again. Problem is, I don't know where to find it. It's not in my "Downloads" file.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Everytime I get an update things change haha... It usually happens on one laptop first and then the next day the other latop gets updated. I have both these laptops feeding my console setup... One laptop is for my personal files and the other laptop is for socal media junk and forums. They both up and running this morning....

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
I would look into getting a replacement soon.
My old one gave me troubles every update till it locked up for good.