cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Direct TV DVR

3940wez12
Explorer
Explorer
Usually when we go for just a few days, we take our Direct Tv DVR and watch recorded programs in the evening for entertainment, not bothering to set up the satellite antenna. However on our most recent trip when I asked for the "List", it said it was "loading" .... for 30 minutes! Needless to say no recorded shows were loaded. Is this something new since Direct's latest "update"? Once we were home and connected to the satellite, everything worked as usual. Any ideas?
2011 Keystone Springdale
2015 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7l Hemi
25 REPLIES 25

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
There's no real reason they should. It's not their business and they make very little money from RVers.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

3940wez12
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
DTV does not know anything about RVing.

You got that right! And they don't care either!
2011 Keystone Springdale

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
DTV does not know anything about RVing. You will only get information on how to do these things in a house. The information is also incorrect and assumes you are leaving your DVR at home and wanting to watch the programming elsewhere.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

3940wez12
Explorer
Explorer
Well I got on the "technical support" (and I use the term very loosely) page today and found that I wasn't the only one with this question. Following is the response:

"What happened is that this feature was removed from the latest update in early March. Now you must download your Genie DVR recordings to view them away from home. Or get a SlingBox."

So, how do I download the DVR recordings? Where do I download them to? Most of the places we camp have no cell phone service and no internet. I'm assuming one needs one or the other for streaming or Sling?

Oh and I must clarify... I logged in to my Direct TV website and selected "Technical Forum" which promptly dumped me into the AT&T page. Grrrr!
2011 Keystone Springdale

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
Several years ago DTV focused the website on sales/programming and make finding any technical information more difficult.
I guess so. I had a direct link saved to the My Equipment page. That no longer works. Heaven forbid they'd simply redirect you. I guess they want you to use the app. I don't know if that works any better.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
One benefit of a DVR is watching shows when trees block the dish. My HR44 uses 10 minutes of dish checking before I can watch recorded shows.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
2oldman wrote:
I just went on the Directv website, and what a mess. I wanted to find my receiver model and after 10 minutes I gave up. The search bar seems to be a waste.
Several years ago DTV focused the website on sales/programming and make finding any technical information more difficult.

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bill.Satellite wrote:
You really have just a Genie (3rd generation). There is also a Genie 2 which is quite different.
Yup DTV has 2nd and 3rd generation receivers. Then they introduced the Genie-2 HS17 tower model to create confusion.

Some receivers supply the required power to the dish and others require a power inserter. Some have 120V power plug while others have a power brick.

My HR44 has a power inserter that supplies power to the receiver and has coax connections so that it also supplies power to the dish.

Bob

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
chuckbear wrote:
it may very well depend on what receiver you are using. Our HR24-200 will hit the 775 error immediately if it isn't connected to the dish and we can not go any further with the receiver. Chuck
Evidently, but that seems weird. Years ago my HD receiver (can't find it on new ATT site.. they've changed everything.. what a mess) would work fine sans antenna. Then suddenly it wouldn't. I complained, a lot. Finally, perhaps a year later, it started working again.

The signal beeps were finally brought back to the HD receivers, that took years.

I just went on the Directv website, and what a mess. I wanted to find my receiver model and after 10 minutes I gave up. The search bar seems to be a waste.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
3940wez12 wrote:
Interestingly enough, I can go to Menu/Manage Recordings/Recording History and go thru them one by one, all 800 of them including those cancelled or deleted, and select one to watch. Takes forever.

In the past this could be cured if you never disconnected power during antenna disconnect. You would need to have the receiver on an inverter and ensure no power interruption during travel but it sounds like DTV has made another software "update". You really have just a Genie (3rd generation). There is also a Genie 2 which is quite different.

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
chuckbear wrote:
It will not work without the dish attached and the power inserter on to feed the LNB. Chuck
Incorrect...unless there's been a change in the last month.

It will only work that way for us and has been that way for a couple of years. Having said that, it may very well depend on what receiver you are using. Our HR24-200 will hit the 775 error immediately if it isn't connected to the dish and we can not go any further with the receiver. Chuck

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
chuckbear wrote:
It will not work without the dish attached and the power inserter on to feed the LNB. Chuck
Incorrect...unless there's been a change in the last month.

3940wez12
Explorer
Explorer
Interestingly enough, I can go to Menu/Manage Recordings/Recording History and go thru them one by one, all 800 of them including those cancelled or deleted, and select one to watch. Takes forever.
2011 Keystone Springdale

3940wez12
Explorer
Explorer
chuckbear wrote:

It worked 2 months ago without the dish attached and we've used it for several years that way. Just take the box, connect to the TV with HDMI cable and watch previously recorded programs.
2011 Keystone Springdale