cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Direct TV Genie System

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
We were having issues with one of our older boxes and reception troubles. I had a Direct TV tech out this morning to check things out, our dish was out of alignment (a "tad"), they also replaced the LNB. We were "sold" new Genies........ The tech and Direct persuaded us to up-grade.

My question is can we take the Genie with us and use it in the RV? If I understand this system correctly, we can with the main box, NOT with the "little" box in the bedroom. Is that correct? We only have 2 boxes. This system is all new to us, we're used to the older style remote, the new ones are half the size. A little challenging getting used to the "new" stuff. :B

These new boxes are smoking fast compared to the old ones!

Thanks

Dan
26 REPLIES 26

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
donn0128 wrote:
Shot-N-Az wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
Which Genie? If you got a HR44 or HR54 your good to go. If you got a GenieII your screwed.

I’m sitting in my motorhome watching news on my genie II as I type this. How am I screwed?

As I understand from Directv the GenieII needs a wifi connection full time. I assume you have it connected to wifi?

There is NO requirement for the Genie to be connect to the internet. I am using the HR54 without an internet connection for quite some time. For full access to some service you would need to connect to the internet. None of these include live TV broadcasts.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Shot-N-Az
Explorer
Explorer
I am not currently connected to wifi. I don’t know why they would say that. Wifi provides access to certain functions you cannot get without it such as on-demand, but that’s no different than other Genie generations.

Winegard told me my Trav’ler was incompatible with Genie II. What they meant was I cannot get 4K with the standard Trav’ler LNB, but otherwise, the Trav’ler works just fine with it. I don’t even need the power inserter since the Genie II receiver has it’s own PI integrated into the receiver.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Shot-N-Az wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
Which Genie? If you got a HR44 or HR54 your good to go. If you got a GenieII your screwed.

I’m sitting in my motorhome watching news on my genie II as I type this. How am I screwed?

As I understand from Directv the GenieII needs a wifi connection full time. I assume you have it connected to wifi?

Shot-N-Az
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info guys, I believe we have a grip on it now! :B

Thank you!

Dan

Bigbird65
Explorer
Explorer
Probably mistaken but I thought if you are using an HR54 you don't need a power inserter. We use an HR44 that needs a power inserter.

2017 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 5.7L Hemi, 8 speed 3.21
2018 Winnebago Minnie 2250DS

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
Umm, Why not take it out to the RV, hook it up and see if it works??? Chuck

missnmountains
Explorer
Explorer
We have what other have said with a little minor difference. We use our HR44, a wifi bridge and a mini genie in the master bedroom all using the Winegard Trav'ler dish.

Works great everywhere we go until we travel north past Dawson Creek BC.

Ken
2016 Newmar Dutch Star 4369

Our Blog: Lawrence Adventures

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
As long as you take the main Genie box in the RV, every thing will work just fine with the Winegard Trav'ler. It is the exact same antenna you have on your house so the receiver will not know the difference.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
I assume you also have mini Genies? Ao all you will need to is duplicate what is in the house outside. You will take the genie, the mini, the video bridge. Connect everything like it is at home. Let your dish locate the birds and start watching.

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Winegard SK-SWM3 on the roof of the RV, I already have a power inserter that we used on the old box. Our new box is an HR54/200.

The tech told me we could use the Genie in the RV but I just wanted to hear that from others who have real time experience.

We just got the new equipment this morning, Monday morning we hit the road for sunny Florida. We've enjoyed taking the sat box with us for the last 4 years and I was hoping to continue that practice for a few more years. :B

Thank you for your information.

Dan

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
What mobile antenna are you using? You will need to buy a bunch of parts for your RV. Like a power inserter and a splitter.