cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Directv ???

mackyb
Explorer
Explorer
I just subscribed to DTV in the home recently and have the latest Genie DVR model that they supply you along with the mini Genie's in the bedrooms where we have TV's. I do not care about watching live TV when camping but would not mind bringing the main genie along to watch recorded movies on the DVR. I was wondering if I took the genie from the house for a long weekend camping trip, if the mini genie's would record while we were away with the genie? We ran this idea by a DTV rep we saw at the Salt Lake City RV show this weekend and he told us that the mini genie's would continue to record shows that we had previously set up to record and once the main genie was reconnected would copy any recorded programs from the mini genie's. Can anyone verify that this is the way it works or not?
7 REPLIES 7

Lije_Baley
Explorer
Explorer
And this is why minis are bad and extra DVRs are good. At least, it's one of the MANY reasons.

mackyb
Explorer
Explorer
Per DTV, the answer is no. Mini's only stream what is on the Genie hard drive.

CoolbaldguyRZR
Explorer
Explorer
The Genie has the hard drive in it. The mini won't record. Not to hijack your thread but....I have the same set up at home and was wondering if I take one of my mini's with me will it work without the main box?

xzyHollyxyz
Explorer
Explorer
Unplug the Genie and try and record with the slave?
2015 Fun Finder 189FDS
2013 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab SV 4x4

FlatBroke
Explorer
Explorer
If you want to do that, trade one of the slaves for another standard DVR and have it record while you are gone.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Robaouth has it right. The slaves are just that, basically a wireless interface that talks wirelessly to the genie.

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
The mini's just tell the Genie what to do. They will not record anything without the Genie as that is where all the action really is. That is what I was told when it was installed here. Never tried it so have no personal experinece. Could go either way I guess, since you were told the opposite.
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."