cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Directv

alaska_av8r
Explorer
Explorer
Okay i am new to using satellite tv while camping, I have it at home of course but I need some help and it doesn’t seem sane to pay the local tech $500 to set this up no more than I watch tv.

I have an HR 24-200 receiver along with a new full size oval dish, not sure the exact model but it only has one coax, has a swm sticker (I can get the model number tomorrow) and I have a tripod I want to use the receiver in my camper, while camping.

Would I be correct in assuming I need a swm for this to work? And if so do I have to get it from directv or can I get one elsewhere.

My camper is a keystone passport ultralight 285RLS. I have an HD antenna on the roof and a coax connection on side of the trailer. Both of these feed into a wineguard antenna booster that has connections for cable, antenna, tv2 and tv1. The camper has a tv in the salon and one in the bedroom.

I would like to be able to use directv on both TVs and don’t mind that they will both be watching the same channel. Of course the tv in the bedroom is fed by coax while the tv in the salon will be 2 feet from the receiver so it could use hdmi.

1. Will I be able to use the existing cable outlet outside the camper to hook up to the dish?

2. This receiver does have video/audio jacks so if tv 1 is on hdmi can I send the signal to tv2 over coax using those jacks

3. Or is there a better way?

Thank you
Tim
4 REPLIES 4

alaska_av8r
Explorer
Explorer
thank you very much!!!!

I did search and found similar responses but those topics were several years old and I wasn't sure if anything had changed..

tim

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you do not have a power inserter at home (PI25) for use with your HR24 you will need to pick one up to use the antenna you are describing (model # not necessary). You will not be able to use the cable connection coming into the RV as it currently exists and it's likely you will not be able to use it at all. The cable connection goes to a splitter (likely a wall plate with an off/off button or switch) that allows the selection of Cable input or OTA TV antenna input. If this is a direct run you can modify that connection and add an A/B switch and an additional coax run to the receiver to make it work. This connection should be where the main TV is located so you can use the HDMI cable and get HD programming to that TV. Any output you use from an connection other than HDMI will get a signal to the 2nd TV but it will be an SD picture. That may be OK if it is seldom used or a smallish TV anyway. I suspect you have the 3 color RCA connections (Red/White/Yellow) and you can get an adapter to convert that output to coax for the 2nd TV.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
BTW More recently at home for the second TV I used a HDMI splitter and a HD HDMI to coax and back to HDMI for the second TV. Wireless units are also available.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
alaska_av8r wrote:
Okay i am new to using satellite tv while camping, I have it at home of course but I need some help and it doesn’t seem sane to pay the local tech $500 to set this up no more than I watch tv.

I have an HR 24-200 receiver along with a new full size oval dish, not sure the exact model but it only has one coax, has a swm sticker (I can get the model number tomorrow) and I have a tripod I want to use the receiver in my camper, while camping.

Would I be correct in assuming I need a swm for this to work? And if so do I have to get it from directv or can I get one elsewhere.
The HR24 can be configured for SWM in the settings, problem solved.

My camper is a keystone passport ultralight 285RLS. I have an HD antenna on the roof and a coax connection on side of the trailer. Both of these feed into a wineguard antenna booster that has connections for cable, antenna, tv2 and tv1. The camper has a tv in the salon and one in the bedroom.

I would like to be able to use directv on both TVs and don’t mind that they will both be watching the same channel. Of course the tv in the bedroom is fed by coax while the tv in the salon will be 2 feet from the receiver so it could use hdmi.

1. Will I be able to use the existing cable outlet outside the camper to hook up to the dish? Depends upon splitters etc, try it and see. I didn't bother, just ran a new coax.

2. This receiver does have video/audio jacks so if tv 1 is on hdmi can I send the signal to tv2 over coax using those jacks Yes just add a $10 converter, I've had this for years at home. You may want a A/B switch when you use the OTA antenna.

3. Or is there a better way? Better is what you need to decide but you have a good option. I used the HR24 as dual multiplex at home and SWM in the rig. Then I called DTV and had the HR44 and SWM dish installed at home. A much better receiver.

Thank you
Tim
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob