cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dish hopper and Joey in a RV

yamerhammer1
Explorer
Explorer
I called my local dish installer to install a vip722 in my camper. (That's what I had in my home) He told me he could install a hopper and Joey with one incoming coaxial cable.
I use an open face HD dish for the RV. So I said yes as long as we could try it out at the house. We did and all went well. I also had to change out my 722 in the house to a hopper. I use the western satellites around home but he gave me the 2 eastern LNB's to use if I ever traveled where I might need them. We just stayed a week at Branson where there was a lot of trees so I changed out the LNB's to the the eastern ones. Made one phone call and bingo, I had all my channels including locals. Yes it took a little while to swap out the LNB,s but as a retiree I have lots of time on my hands. I dropped the camper off at a seasonal site till May and back to using the western LNB's. The Joey that they installed is wireless, so no extra wires to run. It's been 5 weeks and very very satisfied!
2012 F-250 superduty
2014 Jayco premier 361reqs
7 REPLIES 7

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
yamerhammer1 wrote:
With my 211 or 722 receiver, I had to have my cabinet door open. Now with the hopper the remote works with the cabinet door closed! I don't know if it's IR or RF. maybe someone on here can tell us

Thanks... one more plus for the Hopper!
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
yamerhammer1 wrote:
With my 211 or 722 receiver, I had to have my cabinet door open. Now with the hopper the remote works with the cabinet door closed! I don't know if it's IR or RF. maybe someone on here can tell us

The Hopper (and Joey) uses an RF remote.

However, if you want, you can enable a Hopper (or Joey) to use IR remotes by going into Settings -> Remote Settings.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

yamerhammer1
Explorer
Explorer
2012 F-250 superduty

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
With the Hopper and Joey, does your dish remote work ok? Are either hidden behind cabinets? Are the remotes IR or RF?

I have a 722k in my mh, and having lots of trouble getting the IR remote to work without extenders...and even then sometimes it's a pain. 722k is located in a cabinet behind the bedroom tv.

thanks,

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

yamerhammer1
Explorer
Explorer
Yes!!! While we were going through Arkansas a few weeks ago, my DW was able to get the LSU game on her iPad. Then when we got to the campground, we finished watching on it. Since we were only going to be there for one night and that was the only program we wanted to watch, I didn't have to pull out the portable dish to set up. Didn't know I could talk to customer service though. Thanks for the FYI
2012 F-250 superduty

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Kudos! Yours is not the typical Hopper RV install story. Congrats on your good luck!

I think your story shows that it's best to contact a local sat installer (for either DISH or DirecTV) and not the company itself.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
You do know you now can use the dish anywhere app to control your hoppers and talk to customer support online now as long as you have WiFi?