cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DISH Network: Which Dish?

robroy90
Explorer
Explorer
I would be curious to know what those of you who subscribe to DISH network for your RV use in terms of the actual dish for reception? I know ultimately I want to end up with the Travel'r automatic on the roof, but for now I don't need to run multiple TVs. In the meantime, I would like to get one of the small, portable (but automatic) units, I just don't know which brand and model to go with. I have heard of trouble with all of them. I don't think I can use the Dish Hopper 4 DVR with a portable, so for now I will go with a Wally. But, I do want full access to all of the programming from Dish and have it in HD, so I want to make sure the portable I get can accurately access both the eastern and western arcs. I am particularly interested in input from those who like what they have and would buy it again, and input from those who bought one model, but then had to switch because of issues, etc. Thanks in advance!
6 REPLIES 6

chindog
Explorer
Explorer
I also use the pathway X2, and have been very pleased with it. I've got a Roadtrip Mission on the rooftop, but it only gets the western arc satellites, and gets nothing when trees are in the way. We use the the X2 in those situations, and can usually find someplace on the campsite to see 3 birds in either the eastern or western arcs. We use it with the 211z receiver.
2014 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
2012 Honda CRV toad

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
jorbill2or wrote:
The dish pathway X2 used to be the only one who could receive the eastern satellites . this is no longer true as both king and the dish play maker have models that can do so , you just need to check as not all models can.

The Pathway X2 is still the only portable automatic that receives the full eastern and western arc sats. The others, like the Playmaker, only receive the eastern arc 61.5 sat and still need the western arc 110 and 119 sats for full programming coverage. That's a little better than western arc only, but not by a lot when you're trying to get signals on a heavily treed site.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

SSandman
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Pathway X2 paired with a Wally and attached hard drive. I didn't get charged to add the hard drive for DVR use. Also have a 211Z for a back-up. Works great.

2naEagle
Explorer
Explorer
Pathway x2. Look around for a sale on a bundle wally and pathway x2. I've had playmaker and the pathway works much better.
2020 F350 Limited CCSB SRW
2017 North Point 315RLTS
2021 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
The dish pathway X2 used to be the only one who could receive the eastern satellites . this is no longer true as both king and the dish play maker have models that can do so , you just need to check as not all models can. I like the pathway X2 ( I have one , and a travler) because itโ€™s larger reflector than any of the other dishes and has better reception in bad weather. Itโ€™s also itโ€™s disadvantage and that itโ€™s very large to store. I think if I were you and going with the traveler eventually I would choose a king model with a roof mount that the DISH can snap into and out of . That way you could roof mount it out of the way or take it off and deploy it elsewhere.
The Wally receiver will receive all channels you are subscribed to in high definition from ANY portable or large travler etc Antenna. Add any mini usb hard drive ( laptop) and a 40$ one time account fee and you can record pause replay any program for no monthly add on fee. If using a travler or full array antenna you can watch and record two Chanelโ€™s at the same time.
Bill

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
The only one I know of that gets both arcs is a Winegard Pathway X2.

The Wally or any 211 gives you a menu and you select which arc you want and away she goes.

It supports two TVs but the second tv can only watch channels on the sat the primary tv is tuned to. The dish only gets one sat at a time.

I would buy it again in a heartbeat.

BTW DISH is way easier to deal with and are happy to change locals daily if wanted.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.