cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Forcing Garmin 890 to a different route?

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I go to pick up 5th wheel, the fastest route will take me through a major metropolitan city that I want to avoid. Modified route will only cost me an estimated 30 minutes or so.

How do I specify specific roads to travel?
7 REPLIES 7

Solo
Explorer
Explorer
Second Chance wrote:
The newer Garmins also have a "Route Shaping" function. You go into a map of your route and touch places you want to transit. The GPS alters the route to go through those transit points.

Rob
Using Base Camp software might be your best solution but your 890 will allow "reshaping" as Second Chance describes. Much easier to do than setting waypoints with an older Garmin.
Solo
2011 Itasca Ellipse 42QD, 450 HP ISL Cummins
2012 Jeep JKU with SMI DUO Braking System

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I like Second Chance's advice. It's really easy to force a GPS onto a different route... just take the different route, and the GPS is forced to go along! ๐Ÿ™‚
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jim-Linda wrote:
Download Garmins Base Camp software to PC, create route and send to GPS. You can move the routing to anywhere you want. Added step but custom routes.
This is what I would recommend. It is how I determine any route for the GPS. I never let the GPS determine the route, as it rarely goes where I want it to.

And Basecamp is free.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
The newer Garmins also have a "Route Shaping" function. You go into a map of your route and touch places you want to transit. The GPS alters the route to go through those transit points. You can also do what I often do... let the GPS set the route it wants and just take the exit where you want to deviate. The GPS will freak out for a while, but will figure it out and recalculate the route. I drove, sailed, and flew for decades before GPSs and can still use a map when needed.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Jim-Linda
Explorer
Explorer
Download Garmins Base Camp software to PC, create route and send to GPS. You can move the routing to anywhere you want. Added step but custom routes.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Input a set of coordinates to drive to, an address, a city.. whatever.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Add a via point! At times you need to delete it when getting close.
This is only way I have acheived routing away from questionable areas.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker