cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Garmin 890RV trouble and fix

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a 890RV for more than a year and it has been mostly satisfactory and very useful. Several months ago it failed an update and has been braindead ever since. Nothing I tried would fix the problem including a reset to factory.
I finally got on YouTube and searched and found that there is a pc software package that will repair glitches and do updates on most Garmin devices.
Garmin Express

It will update your unit and even seems to have some new cursors. No sitting in your vehicle trying to get it done just connect the Garmin to the computer via USB. It took and astounding 7-8 hours to fix mine but now it works again. Look in YouTube for videos
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper
4 REPLIES 4

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Trackrig wrote:
Is there another way to update your Garmin without using express?

The other useful feature of Express is it will tell you how many updates are waiting for your GPS - assuming you have registered it.

And there was a new update to Express in May I believe.

Bill

True but that method is what rendered my Garmin inoperative other than showing a very basic map. Major highways only and no search functionality. I tried maybe 25 times to update the latest maps, and it would go thru the update download and install with reboot but never actually did the map update.
I tried different areas and WiFi spots. One was excellent at -80 DB but nothing worked until the express. Since it took 8 hours I assume it completely rewrote all the software and maps. And the cell signal here is much weaker at -100 DB
Superbumper

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is there another way to update your Garmin without using express?

The other useful feature of Express is it will tell you how many updates are waiting for your GPS - assuming you have registered it.

And there was a new update to Express in May I believe.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah it was news to me, I watched a multi episode tutorial on the 890 on YT, when I bought the 890. It was good for the features but never mentioned Garmin Express.
Superbumper

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
You should use Garmin Express for every update. Have been using this for years. When you plug your Garmin receiver into your computer it should automatically go to Garmin Express to check your update.