cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Garmin Dezl 560LMT GPS

anaro
Explorer
Explorer
I know many have discussed how much they like the Garmin over the magellan and rand mcnally in the other threads. Just wondering if anyone has used the cheaper truckers version, the Garmin dezl 560LMT. My old Garmin Nuvi served me well but is in need of replacement. I was thinking of going with something I can program height into for my fiver. Is it a waste of money? Should I go back to a regular GPS? Through researching, I know to stay away from the Magellan GPS. Thanks
2014 Silverado 3500 Duramax, SRW, Crew Cab, 4WD
2014 Palomino Sabre 34REQS -
2011 Crossroads Zinger ZT26BL - sold in 2014
12 REPLIES 12

Flapper
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Dezl 760 and overall like it very much. That said, it has it's limits and you should be careful with what it tells you. One time in Maine it took me on a VERY problematic route to avoid a hazard. Luckily I was not towing at the time (even though it was left in RV mode), or I never would have made it through the narrow residential streets it sent me on.
It also tried to send me 200 miles out of the way to avoid a tunnel hazard on the Oregon coast, which I ignored. Turns out the edge of the tunnel was below minimum, but the peak of the arch was 4 feet higher. I was in terror as it kept warning me about the upcoming low clearance, but I kept seeing units taller than mine coming the other way....
There are a lot of places where it tells me that hazard data does not exist, so I end up having to cross my fingers there is nothing ahead that will cause problems, but they are obvious areas where there is no concern anyway.
I also have the Rand-McNally version on my iPad, and can't say in the above respects it is any better. I find operating the Dezl to be much better. Love the "lane assist" feature that tells you ahead of time which lane to get in to. Saved me in Chicago multiple times!
2012 F150 Eco, 4x4, SCrew, Max Tow, HD Payload
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK

LarryJM
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
anaro wrote:
Niaswagn- interesting thought. My defective gps is related to dropping it but I can try.

Lantley- I usually have DH have a back up set on Google maps ready on his phone when travelling. If I'm going somewhere really unfamiliar I have been known to print out mapquest and Google directions before going on case of loss of satellite or something crazy happens. I have been down a dirt road with a gps before, fortunately not with a trailer behind me

Then you get it. The truckers/RV model GPS will route you to avoid small streets, tight tuns and low clearances. I do believe they are worth the extra. But keep in mind they may occasionally take you the long way. If anything I sometimes find the RV routing to be too cautious. It will take the long way to avoid smaller roads. In the end better safe than sorry

IMO that is the single biggest negative with the 760 and while I can't be 100% positive I think when you are in the RV mode it uses all the truck routes around major metro areas as a default which is most often not needed when towing RVs.

Two features I do like a lot is the "rest area" and "truck stop" listings in the unit.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Dezl. I use it in auto mode. It is not accurate in truck or rv mode for me. I like it for the screen size and dashboards.

Explorer
Explorer
I recently went into Best Buy and there was a working Dezl on display. I set it to RV mode and entered all the vitals and then it asked to take truck routes and I did not check this box. I had it route to a location that could go through low overpass limited access highways or through a highway with no clearance problems at all - it went the route that would have torn the roof off an RV with the height entered into it. The truck route box had to be checked in the RV profile to have it go the safe way for an RV - but this followed routes for commercial trucks which was the longer way to go and not an RV route that would be shorter. If you are considering the Dezl go to a retail store that has it and try before you buy to make sure it takes you on correct RV routes.
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
anaro wrote:
Niaswagn- interesting thought. My defective gps is related to dropping it but I can try.

Lantley- I usually have DH have a back up set on Google maps ready on his phone when travelling. If I'm going somewhere really unfamiliar I have been known to print out mapquest and Google directions before going on case of loss of satellite or something crazy happens. I have been down a dirt road with a gps before, fortunately not with a trailer behind me

Then you get it. The truckers/RV model GPS will route you to avoid small streets, tight tuns and low clearances. I do believe they are worth the extra. But keep in mind they may occasionally take you the long way. If anything I sometimes find the RV routing to be too cautious. It will take the long way to avoid smaller roads. In the end better safe than sorry
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

anaro
Explorer
Explorer

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I have a Garmin 760 and it works well. However I would not trust the GPS 100% for anything.
Be it routing or low clearances do not rely solely on GPS. You will be on a dirt road facing a bridge before you know it.
My RV 760 does a decent job but I will generally review my route with Google maps and a Truckers Atlas if in doubt.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

NiasWagn
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to call Garmin directly. Two times now I have traded in my old for a new one at a discounted price. They were both defective in some way. I'm not sure what your situation is but simple phone call couldn't hurt.
2012 F-150 EB 3.73
2014 Forest River 25RR
2004 GL1800
2014 Texas Healer with wet nose named Molly

anaro
Explorer
Explorer
Cool thanks guys. Any issues with being incorrect on routing or height requirements (my fiver is 13'6" with its front AC unit so height is important). I will take some time and go through those threads and see if they show me more than what I found.

ronfisherman
I have the 560 Dezl. Works well. But I feel my older 465 does a better job of routing. 5" size works well on my motorhomes dash. Tried a 7". It seemed too big for my dash.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Thats what I have. Since it has 4 modes I can set it up for my configuration and go. Works very well IMHO.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Dezl threads
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman