cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hopper receiver with hitchhiker dish

Kevarino
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a new RV that has a hitchhiker dish installed. I brought my hopper receiver and it never sees the dish. The tech in the dealership said the dish is getting power and sees a signal at the end of the cable.

My setup at home, where the hopper originated, has a set up with 2 satellites. I was just wondering if I had to do a configuration change to let it see one dish instead of looking for the 2 that were originally set up.
Kevin and Barbara
2007 Winnebago Tour 40 TD
Cummings ISL 400
11 REPLIES 11

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
DFord wrote:
The fact that it lacks an RF connector to connect the output on a coax cable threw a wrench in my plans to run that signal into a splitter so I could feed my front and rear TVs. If I want to use the Wally for two TVs, I'll have to purchase an HDMI splitter and run an HDMI cable to my rear TV. I'm not picky, the RF signal I get through the coax cable suits me just fine. I hate running cables from one end of the MH to the other. Anyway, my Wally is just collecting dust these days because of the lack of that capability.

$12-$20 at Walmart buys a composite to RF modulator that can feed your rear TV through the existing coax...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
TechWriter wrote:
DFord wrote:
I bought a Wally only to find out the only output is one HDMI port, the OTA tuner must be purchased separately ($$$) and an external HD is still required to make it a DVR receiver.

All the 211 "flavors" have only one HDMI port. The 211 & 211k do have Component Video which may or may not be HD.

The fact that it lacks an RF connector to connect the output on a coax cable threw a wrench in my plans to run that signal into a splitter so I could feed my front and rear TVs. If I want to use the Wally for two TVs, I'll have to purchase an HDMI splitter and run an HDMI cable to my rear TV. I'm not picky, the RF signal I get through the coax cable suits me just fine. I hate running cables from one end of the MH to the other. Anyway, my Wally is just collecting dust these days because of the lack of that capability.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:
DFord wrote:
The Vip211z is the most versatile receiver Dish around right now. You should be able to find on Craig's List for under $40. You can add an external hard drive and make it into a DVR (there's $40 lifetime charge to enable that feature but you may be able to get Dish to comp that cost). It tunes Over The Air (OTA) channels and can put those shows on the DVR too. It has outputs for component video, RF coax and HDMI. I've got one at the house and keep another on the MH ($7/month) - bought them both off CL. I bought a Wally only to find out the only output is one HDMI port, the OTA tuner must be purchased separately ($$$) and an external HD is still required to make it a DVR receiver.

I searched but couldn't find anything on a "hitchhiker" antenna.

I think you mean 211K not Z. I have a Z and it does not have a built in OTA tuner and it only has one hdmi. The K has the features you mention.
You're right. I was thinking about the 211k. The 211z dropped the internal OTA tuner but it didn't change the price.
Don Ford
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
DFord wrote:
I bought a Wally only to find out the only output is one HDMI port, the OTA tuner must be purchased separately ($$$) and an external HD is still required to make it a DVR receiver.

All the 211 "flavors" have only one HDMI port. The 211 & 211k do have Component Video which may or may not be HD.

2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
DFord wrote:
The Vip211z is the most versatile receiver Dish around right now. You should be able to find on Craig's List for under $40. You can add an external hard drive and make it into a DVR (there's $40 lifetime charge to enable that feature but you may be able to get Dish to comp that cost). It tunes Over The Air (OTA) channels and can put those shows on the DVR too. It has outputs for component video, RF coax and HDMI. I've got one at the house and keep another on the MH ($7/month) - bought them both off CL. I bought a Wally only to find out the only output is one HDMI port, the OTA tuner must be purchased separately ($$$) and an external HD is still required to make it a DVR receiver.

I think you mean 211K not Z. I have a Z and it does not have a built in OTA tuner and it only has one hdmi. The K has the features you mention.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
As mentioned, the Hopper will not work with any dome style antenna. You need a Trav'ler, Eagle or a home style antenna mounted on a tripod if you need something cheap and portable.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

DFord
Explorer
Explorer

Don Ford

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
You need a Wally or a 211z.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Second Chance wrote:
According to Dish, the Hopper is not compatible with any of the portable antennas (with the exception of the Winegard Trav'ler).

Rob

And the Trav'ler is a permanent RV rooftop installation, not portable. Hoppers are not compatible with any of the portable or roof mounted dome style single LNB dishes, but work quite well with manually aimed compatible portable tripod mounted residential multi-LNB dishes.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
According to Dish, the Hopper is not compatible with any of the portable antennas (with the exception of the Winegard Trav'ler).

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Google might know. "Hopper can't see dish"
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman