cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hotspot (usb tethering) with Visible: Help needed

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I'm a new Visible customer, with a new iPhone 14 Pro Max.

I switched to Visible from Verizon last week.

On Verizon, I used my iPhone 8 Plus for occasional internet use tethered to my laptop via USB.

The steps were:
Plug in USB Cable
Click "allow" on the iPhone so it will properly connect to the computer
Enable "personal hotspot" on the iPhone
Go to network connections in Windows and select the iPhone as your network adapter.
A blue bar will appear across the top of the iPhone display saying you are connected.

Here's my problem:
The iPhone 14 Pro Max flat out refuses to show up in Windows Network connections, though the computer does recognizes the phone in iTunes and I can browse the photo folder in Windows Explorer to view photos, so I know the 5 Apple original cables I've tried using are good.
Since I can't get the iPhone to show up as a network connection device in Windows, I haven't been able to use the "personal hotspot" via USB tether.

I tried doing the same thing with the 8+ and it now doesn't work either. For testing purposes (on the now inactive Verizon 8+) I connected the 8+ to my home wifi, and should be able to share that wifi connection to the laptop or desktop via USB tethering just for the purpose of troubleshooting the problem to see if it was a Visible Problem, computer problem or phone problem. (no go on that test)

I've tried the above on a desktop computer and my laptop, both running Windows 10.
Both phones are running iOS 16.x

Windows Firewall is turned off.

The desktop PC is an all new build from early January, with a fresh install of Windows 10.

Since the problem happens on both phones and both computers (laptop and desktop), I can't zero in on what the problem is.
I suspect something broke when I upgraded the 8+ to iOS 16.2 about 2 weeks ago. Maybe it's a problem in iOS 16.x.

I've restarted both phones multiple times, reset the "network settings" on both phones multiple times and rebooted both computers several times, to no avail. The problem still exists.

I contacted Apple Support, they didn't have any suggestions, other than to contact Microsoft. Visible chat support didn't help either.

I've searched Youtube and Google and haven't found a solution.

My day job is being a computer tech, so I've checked everything I can possibly think of to check.

Could someone with an iPhone on Visible try the USB tethering and let me know your results?

If on a laptop, just turn off wifi on your laptop, then type in "network connections" after clicking the Windows Start button to open the window to see your network adapters, then enable the iPhone (if you see it)
in the lower right corner of the screen (notification area / system tray of Windows) your network icon will show a hard-wired connection with a little icon that looks like a computer (instead of a wi-fi symbol)
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator
12 REPLIES 12

MrWizard
My opinion your might be different

ITunes is comparable to Windows in one respect
It wants to control everything on your PC,
Its the Battle between Apple and Microsoft
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
opnspaces wrote:
Hey Deltabravo any update? did your fix work? I don't use this feature on my phone but I'm always curious as a just in case.

It looks like the issue is fixed.
From what I can tell, the computer needs to have iTunes on it for the function to work. That never used to be the case.
The desktop I was trying didn't have itunes on it. Once I installed itunes, it started working with USB Tether.

The laptop had iTunes, but It now appears iTune has to be running in order for USB Tether to work.

I need to play with everything a bit more.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Hey Deltabravo any update? did your fix work? I don't use this feature on my phone but I'm always curious as a just in case.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Ramblin__Ralph
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
It looks like I fixed the issue after messing around with iTunes. I will do some testing and post my final report later tonight.

I have/had the same problem with my phone and iTunes. If I uninstalled iTunes from my computer I was able to connect to my iPhone7 with USB. Since I wanted to keep iTunes on my PC, I just used WiFi to connect PC to iPhone. Now have iPhone SE but haven't tried USB.

Sorry, but didn't remember I had the problem when you first posted. ๐Ÿ™‚ Glad you figured it out.
Ralph
2006 GMC 2500HD, XCab, SB, 6.0L w/2001 Lance 845
Bilstein Shocks, TorkLift Stable Loads, 100 Ah LiFePo4, 225 watt solar
My RV Travels Webpage / Yearly Campsite Map / 740 Campsites / YouTube Videos /
Instagram

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
MNtundraRet wrote:
Since you want to use Ethernet only your problem may be the fact you do not have a USB3 connection.

I have USB 3.

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator
https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/xfinity-mobile/wifi-calling-on-iphone-14-pro-unable-to-turn-on/635d94fbb5284b6592d8b955

I found this link explaining Wi-Fi setup. Since you want to use Ethernet only your problem may be the fact you do not have a USB3 connection.
Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
It looks like I fixed the issue after messing around with iTunes. I will do some testing and post my final report later tonight.

I can say that iTunes wasn't installed on my desktop PC. It was only on my laptop, so obviously I had my laptop power up and used it to back uip my 8+ and restore that junk to the 14 last week.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
MNtundraRet wrote:
It sounds like your new Iphone uses 5G.

Yep, it's 5G

MNtundraRet wrote:
I happen to be an "Expert" on the Comcast (Xfinity) forum. Use the same forum name there. You might check the forum there. This issue is being discussed there.

I went to the forum, but have no idea where to start looking to find that discussion. I've been searching too, but no luck yet.
Can you post a direct link to that thread?

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
MitchF150 wrote:
Any reason you don't want to use WiFi on it?

It sucks battery power.

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator
Someone on the Comcast forum also mentioned their 5G Droid phone worked fine.
It may be an Iphone problem in not being backwards compatible.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Any reason you don't want to use WiFi on it?

I connect to my 5G Droid phone to my laptop when needed and also an office provided Verizon MiFi thru WiFi and it's just fine, easy and no cords..

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator
It sounds like your new Iphone uses 5G. It may also use: WPA3, a higher level of 802.xxxxx support. Have you checked the phones manual? I happen to be an "Expert" on the Comcast (Xfinity) forum. Use the same forum name there. You might check the forum there. This issue is being discussed there. I know better and only use Comcast for linear cable. I use high-speed DSL through phone company for Internet access. You do not need to join unless you wish to post. Not necessary to do business with Comcast to be a member. It also would require a higher level USB3 connection.