cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I-PAD

racer99
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning on replacing our failing GPS with an I-PAD Any sugestions-I understand the I-Pad has GPS built in-Thanks Rich
37 REPLIES 37

Daveinet
Explorer
Explorer
The only problem with Ipad is that you need permission from Apple to do anything. Apple owns everything you do. All apps must have permission from Apple to be installed on your Ipad.
IRV2

addisonl
Explorer
Explorer
I think the iPad is one of the best devices because it can replace so much space and weight. Books, map, guide books, computers, laptops, stand alone GPS units all could be left out of the RV depending on what you do of course. Make sure you get a 3G/4G model for a real GPS unit. You don't need a cell contract on it no matter if a sales person tried to sell one. The little less expensive but most common wifi iPad or really any tablet models don't have GPS. I have heard of stand alone GPS hardware to plug into a iPad without GPS but when you take in all the prices, just get the xG model to begin with.

Google just released a maps app and is supposed to do iPad version any minute too so the Apple map issue should fade over time.

Maps actually do load into memory on the iPad until they are overwritten by something else down the line. Kind of like old computer RAM memory. So if pick your zoom level and go ahead on your route, the maps stay without internet. I have used an 3G iPad for several days that way without service.

BobR
Explorer
Explorer
I vote for using a Droid phone with Google Navigation. It is like the new Swiss Army Knife of electronics that has multiple uses. I run mine through the radio and when it gives directions the music is muted and directions given. Much better than hearing through a small speaker on a GPS unit.

Doug_and_Cassi_
Explorer
Explorer
If you have unlimited data on your smart phone, download the Foxfi app. Makes your phone a hot spot and one time fee of $7.00. A MiFi is $50 a month. A Verizon guy told me he uses Foxfi

harleyman1340
Explorer
Explorer
My wife loves her Ipad with 3g so much that if it broke this afternoon she would have another one before the sun goes down. She doesn't leave home without it, but for navigation I prefer and would buy a mid priced (less than $200) GPS unit over the GPS programs available for the Ipad. Don't get me wrong, the GPS on the IPad is very usefull but would be very awkward to use as a driving GPS unit.
Sonny, Anita and Phoebe
2005 Mountain Aire 4304
2005 F150 Crew Cab Toad
2009 Harley Ultra Classic

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Rich D. wrote:
You can use a downloaded GPS that does not use data so that is not a problem.

Also be sure to check out some great apps like:
RV Park Finder
Woodall's
RV Parks
iExit
Road Ahead
Rest Area Guide
Truckstops
AllStays Diesel

As for mounting, take a look at the various cup holder based mounts. No holes to drill or screws to leave marks.
Allstays Camp and RV is a great app and could be used in place of or to compliment some of the above.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Mtnaire
Explorer
Explorer
Check out Navigon for iPad. We used it across North America (and the European version for over 2500 miles). It is a Garmin product, fully GPS enabled ( so no fees) and worked far better than Tom Tom which we had been using. Not cheap but a one time charge only. Available from the App Store in iTunes. Maps and map upgrades periodically can be downloaded using wi- fi.

gsander1
Explorer
Explorer
I use the free CoPilot on wife's iPad and my Android tablet. Very good app.
George in Birmingham, AL
03 Country Coach Magna

Gadget_Guy1
Explorer
Explorer
deandec wrote:
If you want it to work like a garmin, tom-tom, or magellan, download:

Co-Pilot
Sygic

I use Android Sygic. The maps (Tom-Tom I think) are frequently updated at no cost. The maps for US cost about $20 one time. Works great on my 8" screen. You can get maps for each continent if you are a traveler.

No broadband connection required while using the apps. Update when connected to WIFI.

My $650 Garmin from 2005 cannot be updated since 2008. It still works, but POI and features are dated.

I did a search and exactly which one is this??? The free one that comes up is called GPS CoPilot, is this the one you use????? Or is it one of the ones you buy all the way from $1.99 to $239.99

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
2bzy2c wrote:
You can't go wrong. Easy to use, reliable, big screen.
There is little not to like.
X-2, Very well said! When we use our I-Pad as a GPS we use ATT very affordable one month at a time plan no contracts! I've never been lost using it and my wife uses it to check the weather (Weather Channel) when traveling. And we do all of our banking on the road with the I-Pad and have done this with success every since the I-Pad has come out. The I-Pad 3 has the best camera for taking pictures I seen many people using I-Pads taking pictures and or video of the boat parade under the London Bridge several weeks ago. There's so much that you can do with them. And, I'll end by saying many years ago a black line appeared across the screen on our I-Pad. I took it in to the Apple Store and the guy said he never seen that before and replaced it with a brand new I-Pad no questions asked. A lot of bang for your dollar.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
A dash mounted GPS is far easier to use (look Ma, no hands) than having to have another person (or worse yet, you) hold the iPad to get instructions.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

deandec
Explorer
Explorer
If you want it to work like a garmin, tom-tom, or magellan, download:

Co-Pilot
Sygic

I use Android Sygic. The maps (Tom-Tom I think) are frequently updated at no cost. The maps for US cost about $20 one time. Works great on my 8" screen. You can get maps for each continent if you are a traveler.

No broadband connection required while using the apps. Update when connected to WIFI.

My $650 Garmin from 2005 cannot be updated since 2008. It still works, but POI and features are dated.
Dean
95 CC Magna, Jeep GC

crappie_fisherm
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
in a word, GARMIN
bumpy

X2...for $100 I purchased a Garmin LM40 (4.3" screen with Lifetime Map updates)...when I got my first GPS the Lifetime Map option really didn't exist...

I'm all for having fewer devices in our lives...but Garmin's sole purpose in life is GPS/mapping (well mostly)...you get a nice user interface for what you need (IMO).

The Ipad...well I haven't found a need for one yet...not saying that I won't in the future...I know they have a lot of great features/applications...but for right now...I'm not seeing it personally...so I'm still in the "undecided" camp and "uncommitted"...we do have 3 iPhones in the family...none of which are mine...LOL

One comment about a previous comment about 2 movies being about 5 gigs...I'm not sure I buy that...when I get movies for my kids Ipod's/etc...they range in size from 0.4Gbytes to 1.5Gbytes...in compressed MP4 format...I've never "streamed" movies per say...so I'm not 100% sure...but based on the MP4 sizes I've seen...most are well under 1 gig...at least from what I've seen...not sure if the size of the MP4 directly relates to the "streaming" size though.

Joe.
2007 Tiffin Phaeton 40 QSH 350Cat (3 women and 4 slides...Just RIGHT! :B)
2012 Jeep Liberty Sport (toad)

2005 Ford Excursion V10 w/4.30's (Sold)

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
in a word, GARMIN
bumpy

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
As others have indicated both Apple Maps and Google Maps require a live internet connection at all times. They download maps dynamically (for the most part). There are alternatives at additional cost that will actually load the GPS map data on the iPAD itself. These can be used without an internet connection for navigation. There are two that come to mind Tom Tom and CoPilot.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad