cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Internet Satellite

theimbuch
Explorer
Explorer
Our RV came with a Winegard RTT-40B unit. We are looking to get Satellite TV and Internet. Any suggestions utilizing the Winegard system?
14 REPLIES 14

rbritton
Explorer
Explorer
I work remotely, and HughesNet satellite internet is one of my connection methods. I also have a long-range WiFi booster and a cellular booster with yagi antenna. Satellite internet works much better than it used to and is my number two choice of the three connection options. WiFi is at the bottom of the list because RV park networks are always virtually unusable.

You can expect to pay about $1500 to get the equipment and service set up and have an ongoing charge of about $90/mo for the business rate. The business rate is the only one that allows you to change which spot beam you're in more than once or twice per year. If you'll be in the same location, you may be able to use a residential service, which is around $40/mo. It is a 24-month service contract with a $400 cancelation fee that is prorated as you use the service. If that's within your budget, read on.

HughesNet peaks around 25 Mbps down/3 Mbps up on the Gen5 satellite (Jupiter 2). You also have the option of connecting (and are sometimes required to connect to) the Gen4 satellite (Jupiter 1), which is slower. There is some mention of Gen4's bandwidth limits being upped to the same as Gen5 once they move enough people on to the newer satellite, though.

Jupiter 2 sits at about 97.1ยบW and (here) 31ยบ elevation. As long as you have an unobstructed view of that location in the sky, you should be able to connect (and as long as you're not in one of the dark areas that are serviced only by Jupiter 1). I have found that any obstruction typically degrades the signal enough to be unusable. Dialing the equipment in to get it connected typically takes me 10-15 minutes, and the first time was by far the hardest as I learned its nuances.

The actual connection is much like a home DSL connection but with higher latency. You're about 800ms minimum just to start receiving a reply, which I find is definitely noticeable but remains tolerable. I am able to successfully use VOIP with it.

Do not plan on watching much video stuff via the internet as you're severely constrained on allowed total bandwidth.

was_butnotnow
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Satelite internet takes a very large very expensive setup to use what is basically dialup speed.

With HughesNet Gen 5 Mobile, I get at least 25 Meg download speed. 35 G for $90 and about $1400 for equipt. And it is mobile no having to call Hughes each time you move. Easier than setting up a DirecTV dish.
I don't sell any of this but got one of the first ones. Check out if this may work for you at http://www.mobileinternetsatellite.com/
BTW I also have a grandfathered Verizon unlimited plan I can use as a hot spot.
Now in a 05 Monaco Cayman DP 36 PDQ
Traveled many years in NuWa Hitchhiker 5th wheels.
Travel Journals and Adventures of people living this lifestyle

Hitchitch.com

Personal blog with our own travels. www.fulltime.hitchitch.com

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Motosat is no more.. however you can still get Hughes Internet, kind of slow (DSL speeds) and limited bandwidth.

Cellular internet may be a better option but.. Not everywhere.

NOTE: Though some folks talk about the expense of the big dish needed for Hughes portable Internet.. it is not all that bad.

Next:

IF YOU DO NOT MOVE Exceed works standard size dish.. But it is only good IF YOU DO NOT MOVE as it needs to be re-done for every sitek different satellites, higher speeds (Gen whatever speeds) but smaller spots.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since the only option to cellular is satellite, you are going to need deep pockets and great patience. For many business users a VPN would be required as well which can bring satellite internet service to less than dial up speeds. Unless you can afford a commercial auto roof mount antenna and the hundreds of dollars per month in service, satellite internet just isn't much of an option these days.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
There are some still using the Hughes satellite internet system. They say they have 1,000,000 users. Not very many really.

But it turns out that I've run into it twice this year, after 8 years of quiet. One run in was back in April where it was used as the RV park wide internet source. Pretty fast too, 36 Mbps Up, and 3.2 Mbps down. Very adequate for every day surfing, but they'd cut the whole park off if the data restriction level was reached on any day, to prevent streaming. Got reset at night. Made me get busy and advertise my setup. Wanted to sell it.

Then the other run it with the Hughes Net was from a guy in San Diego, who is buying my old '06 Hughes net system to replace some of his still active system that he takes down to Mexico with him every year. Suppose to meet up and deliver the system in March.

So I guess it's still a thing.

I know, OP is more interested in satellite TV most likely. Just rambling.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
Although cell service and hotspots are probably the best way to get Internet, the problem with them is many of us RVer's travel to places where there isn't coverage, or there isn't 4g coverage. This probably isn't as big a problem in the east, but I live in Nevada and I can tell you there are a lot of places here and in Utah and Arizona and remote parts of California where there is no cell coverage. Not a big deal if you're retired like me and don't need the coverage, but is internet coverage is critical to you then plan your trips carefully in this part of the Country. If you only camp in or very close to towns, you probably won't have much of a problem as even many of the remote towns out here have a cell tower.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

Aridon
Explorer
Explorer
We use cricket which is at&t. In their unlined 2, 5 lines is $125. We've used yours of 150gb in a month, even in Canada and Mexico, without issue.
2019 Grand Design Momentum 395
2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10

2014.5 DRV Atlanta (sold)

2008 Newmar 4330 (Modified) Sold

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Like the others, we use cell service for Internet access pretty much wherever we are. Our current "go to" service is an unlimited 4G data AT&T "Connected Car" plan (grandfathered) using a Netgear Unite hotspot at $20/month. Our backup service is two grey market Verizon unlimited 3G data only flashed hotspots at $5/mo each. To maintain maximum connectivity, our coach is also equipped with a Maximum Signal Max Amp RV cell booster/repeater that has kept us connected even in areas where our phones showed no signal. I'm sure there's someplace that even the Max Amp may not be enough, but we haven't found it to date.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
theimbuch wrote:
Our RV came with a Winegard RTT-40B unit. We are looking to get Satellite TV and Internet. Any suggestions utilizing the Winegard system?

That antenna cannot ever be use for internet service. You will be able to use it if you sign up for DirecTV or Dish Network service. However, DirecTV service will only be available in SD while the Dish broadcast frequency will allow you to receive full HD. Dish also allows has partial year service if you are not full time or don't want the service installed at home. This service is called Pay-as-you-go.
The use of a DVR can create other issues but both can handle at least a single tuner DVR.
For internet service you are going to want to look to some plan from one of the cellular internet providers. Verizon and AT&T have excellent service and while their "unlimited" plans are limited to 15GB (hotspot) or 25GB otherwise, depending upon the loading on the tower you are connected you may or may not be slowed down if you exceed the 25GB limit.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Teacher_s_Pet
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Datastorm by Motosat, satellite internet antenna on our motorhome's roof. It is no longer supported as the company is out of business and very few qualified service providers. It is a $5000 expense that we made in 2006 that is useless as of about 5 years ago. It worked well where cellular service wasn't available, but now cellular service is easily found almost nation wide. The speeds were very slow uploading and downloading data on the Datastorm. We also had an aircard with unlimited data at 'slow" transfer rates for when the Satellite reception was blocked by trees, building and land-forms southwest of our location at the time. We have been using a MiFi cellular modem by Verizon for the last 7 years with fairly consistent results.
'06 Phaeton 40' QSH
'14 Ford Flex SEL AWD Toad
'04 R-Vision Trail-Lite 213
Scottiemom's Pet or husband to Dale
RV.net Rallies 13, Other Rallies 21, Escapades 7
Fulltimers since 2005, Where are we?
Our Travel Blog

MrWizard
the majority of us use 'cellular internet'

either a wifi hotspot app on our phones

or

a dedicated hotspot device from the cell phone company of choice
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe the next satellite DirecTv launches they can incorporate internet and TV into one satellite.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Satelite internet takes a very large very expensive setup to use what is basically dialup speed.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
The Winegard only receives Sat signals for TV. It is factory set for Direct TV. You have to remove the dome cover to reset it for Dish Sat reception. Doug